Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged carbon tubular rim - what are my options?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Jobst Brandt knows a few things about bike wheels and believes that balance is completely irrelevant.

My rear Zipp 404 is completely unbalanced due to a heavy neodymium magnet glued to the rim. The whole bike vibrates like crazy on the workstand if I spin the wheel. But I absolutely cannot notice it on the road, and I have raced it plenty.

That wheel is ex-Columbia HTC so if the pros are happy to ride such an unbalanced wheel it is certainly good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Lumen wrote: »
    I think you should speak to a good wheelbuilder about the options.
    Anyone know of any good wheelbuilders I could talk to so?
    Cheapest non-Corima deep rebuild option would probably be a Gigantex 50mm rim (and some spokes).
    Where can you get Gigantex rims/wheels? They sound like a cheap replacement alright.
    Maybe get a set of PX 50mm
    Cheap alright and I'm definitely very interested! Does anyone know if they still do the clincher versions of these wheels though? I can't seem to see them on the website. Also, have they ever split up the wheelsets to sell the front and rear individually? I see they do it exactly the way I want it (front only clincher) except only 650c and not 700c. (Seems way better value to get a set though as just the front costs £300 while the set is £435)
    Quigs Snr wrote: »
    One of our riders destroyed a rear Corima Aero +. And therefore has a front one that he might be tempted to sell.
    Any news on this Quigs before I seriously go about getting a replacement? Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

wheelsmith.co.uk, both for general advice and discussion of Gigantex rebuilds.

Not bought stuff but have discussed options with him. He seems very sensible and well-informed (posts on WW so you'd have that in common). Only problem is "Please note: Our order book is now full for April. Feel free to place your order in May.". So they may not be very responsive.

I emailed Corima and this is what I got:
    Dear Sir,
    Damage seems to serious for a repair (as I see it goes from the rim external edge to the 3 / cm to the internal diameter.
    The only solution is to change the rim. We are not using the same carbon wave (since 4 / 5 years) it is a bigger one now called 12 K, yours is a 3 K. Please have a look at the Corima web site at www.corima.com to see the new rim aspect. The width of the rim is also different, 22.6 mm instead of 19.6 mm.
    Will any of the rims they offer work for me using the same hub and spokes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Comm2

hub should be grand, spokes questionable - hard to tell without knowing exact rim depths.

If your existing rim is 3k weave then a gigantex rim would probably match it better than the new corima 12k?? Probably cheaper too.

• Advertisement

I emailed Corima and this is what I got:
    Dear Sir,
    Damage seems to serious for a repair (as I see it goes from the rim external edge to the 3 / cm to the internal diameter.
    The only solution is to change the rim. We are not using the same carbon wave (since 4 / 5 years) it is a bigger one now called 12 K, yours is a 3 K. Please have a look at the Corima web site at www.corima.com to see the new rim aspect. The width of the rim is also different, 22.6 mm instead of 19.6 mm.

Will any of the rims they offer work for me using the same hub and spokes?

Now they respond with this after I ask about going down the rebuild using existing hub and spokes route. We are looking at €340-€365 to get the rebuild done with them, or else just get a complete new front wheel off them for €350 (including shipping). What do you reckon, is this a good price? It is €530 in CycleSuperStore. I would still have the damaged one to keep for spares or sell on like Quigs' mate.
    Hello,

To build the wheel with a new rim, it is necessary to use an Aero 2D, 12 K (big wave).
    To give you an idea of the estimate cost, we would propose the rim at 229 E (instead of 299 E)
    The unsetting and building of the wheel is at 55 E, the shipping cost with insurance is 56 E.
    I don’t know yet if are able to use the same spokes, if we need to change them the cost is 24.84 E.
    I have to check first to be sure but I could find a complete front wheel at a special price of 295 E plus shipping.
    Tel me know your thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

No brainer for me - Go for the new wheel from them and build up the old hub on a velocity fusion, rolf vector or some other 18 hole rim for use on properly windy days when you've the cash for it

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

Sorry for digging up the past but....
    @Home:Ballyhoura what email address did you use to contact Corima? I damaged my 2007 Corima Aero rear clincher and I need to repair/replace it (rather stick a new rim on it regardless)
    I emailed them but reply is slow, would love to know what you did in the meantime aswell. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

corima do a repair service too:

http://www.corima.com/services.html

corima do a repair service too:

http://www.corima.com/services.html

Yea and as soon as Corima reply i will post here, its defo repairable but wouldnt do it myself cus its on the brake track and its clincher so some guarantee from corima for repair would be nice when im doing 55km :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Hi Mechanic,

A cheaper alternative is to buy a rim on Ebay, I think the Corima one is 50mm deep and 12, 16 or 20 spokes so get one to match from Ebay and you should be able to rebuilt it.

Hi Mechanic,

A cheaper alternative is to buy a rim on Ebay, I think the Corima one is 50mm deep and 12, 16 or 20 spokes so get one to match from Ebay and you should be able to rebuilt it.

See ive thought of that and found a problem, These corimas have long spokes and internal nipples which means a rim that will work is harder to come by.
    20140504_192702.jpg
    If there is an off the shelf rim with the right hole diameters i would consider.
    The hub is weird and you sortof have to use corimas spokes, anyways the cost would get fairly high again if i go with new spokes and then i mightaswell have got a new wheel because these hubs are very narrow and i found that the back wheel often flexes when your out of the saddle (spoke tensions are still perfect)
    The damage!
    20140504_192653.jpg
    I might upload a pic of the hub when i get home so you can see what i mean

Advertisement