Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's best to introduce an 11 year old to fishing

Options
  • 06-04-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, well my lad has just started to express an interest in fishing, what I need to know is where is good in the North County Dublin area for letting him try his hand at the different types of fishing Game, Course and Sea to see which he prefers?

Also any recommendations on angling clubs in NCD?

Any suggestions welcome..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Hi all, well my lad has just started to express an interest in fishing, what I need to know is where is good in the North County Dublin area for letting him try his hand at the different types of fishing Game, Course and Sea to see which he prefers?

Also any recommendations on angling clubs in NCD?

Any suggestions welcome..

Rathbeggan lakes, out the blanch road.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Jayball09

Balscadden cliffs.... only jokin :D. I remember goin down to St Annes as a lad and fishing. Full of little roach and rudd, some pike and a tench or two. Dont know what its like these days with rubbish and pollution though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Yeah did the rathbeggan lakes, that's where he started the bug, now I need to progress him a little, any fishing clubs ( with a decent junior section ) around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Yeah did the rathbeggan lakes, that's where he started the bug, now I need to progress him a little, any fishing clubs ( with a decent junior section ) around?

Gormanston anglers have the Wavin Lake and a stretch of the Delvin River. See http://www.gormanstonanglers.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 greg2342

just back from visiting rathbeggan lakes. the worst place i've ever been to. i have visited many times and sadly its getting worse. Apart from shooting going on next door the traffice on that small road is so annoying. i had to reverse so many times on the way in and then on the way out there was a tail back for half an hour or so.

I f anyone is considering visiting that place then dont bother. they wont be getting my money again. what a hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

rathbeggan 'lakes' more like stagnant ponds is the last place i would send anyone.....was only there once.....i believe that airsoft stuff is on up there and its like fishing in a war zone.....i am sorry but airsoft and fishing dont mix....there are far better stockie fisheries than that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dariusz1234

I agree with ironbluedun and greg2342. Rathbeggan Ponds is a rip off, no value for money. From the minute you enter the place you are chased by stewarts for an entrance fee. The lakes as they call it are no bigger than a pond and have no fish in it. My friend was there all day and didn't catch one!!! And then you have to contend with some air shoting nearby which is not only noisy but also a health and safety hazard. My child got a pellet on the face from one.

It was my first and only visit to this place - expensive, a health and safety risk, aggressive dogs not on leshes, lack of facilities, an inadequte entrance through a very narrow lane (delays up to 30 minutes) and false advertising. This place is not a fishing facility, would have better luck catching a fish with a jam jar at the boyne!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 breda1

Hey guys. new user here. is this family park any good. I am hearing not so nice things about Rathbeggan lakes. I dont think Hare coursing at this family park is a good idea. not a family kinda sport aside from all its barbaric traits. Maybe the owner is hard up for cash. either way i was at a family park in Ratoath. its called grow toether. ( www.letsgrowtogether.com) i think. its a great park, lots for families and you have your own allotment. its out the curragha rd in ratoath. worth checking out for better value.

Breda,

I was in the family park in Ratoath and its an excellent place to bring your family. Its excellent value for money and you can feel relaxed knowing your children are safe with sufficient stewards on duty unlike Rathbeggan Lakes. It was such a let down for me. I was totally taken in by all the marketing only to find out I was down €10 per person at the gate and my children felt intimidated for the lenght of time we were there. The clientele that are going to this place make it seriously unsuitable for children and therefore I would not call it a family park, its more like a booze park!!Check out this place also. Very child friendly and value for money. http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Parks/ParksHeritageProperties/NewbridgeHouse/

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AndyWhite

Dariusz1234, Im not sure where it was that you were but it certainly was not rathbeggan. Rathbeggan charge 2 euro per person. the character greg 2342 has already had a second account banned for re registering under a new name and now this new person with a newly opened account is coming out with the same stuff.
    I personally fish and play airsoft at rathbeggan. The lakes are well stocked with good fish. Just because on one day you dont catch something does not mean there are no fish in the water. Any experienced fisherman knows this.
    Breda, I would reccomend that you take a look at the place yourself. You dont have to bring the full family down first time, just go down there yourself some evening for a look around first and decide afterwards.

• Advertisement

And i just discovered Dariusz has also been banned from boards for creating numerous accounts and talking slander.

Edit: My mistake. I got the wrong impression from a moderators post. He was not banned.

Excuse me AndyWhite, but I have not been banned and I have not opened several accounts. I am very much aware that I have the right to voice my opinion through this forum from my own experiences and I think I will report you for slander of my name. If you don't like someone's opinion on a topic

I am puzzled to why you refer to a "Greg" & "Breda" in a posting to me, can you please clarify this for me please? I would also like to know why you advise this "breda" person to go down without their children for a look around. Is it not a "family Park" or have I missed something AndyWhite??

Excuse me AndyWhite, but I have not been banned and I have not opened several accounts. I am very much aware that I have the right to voice my opinion through this forum from my own experiences and I think I will report you for slander of my name. If you don't like someone's opinion on a topic

I am puzzled to why you refer to a "Greg" & "Breda" in a posting to me, can you please clarify this for me please? I would also like to know why you advise this "breda" person to go down without their children for a look around. Is it not a "family Park" or have I missed something AndyWhite??

My mistake about you being banned. A moderator deleted one of your comments in another forum and said goodbye dariusz1234 so i assumed wrong there. Sorry about that.
    The post wasnt solely to you. I mentioned greg as you said you were agreeing with him in your previous post. I was pointing out that this person is a fake account.
    And you have completely misenterpreted what I meant about going there on her own. It is a family park, let me assure you of that and I'm sure the thousands of people who were there over the weekend would agree. I was simply suggesting that if she is unsure where to plan her day out, to have a quick look on her own first.

Em, not too sure if i'm going to furnish Rathbeggan with my money anymore. my best friend was there over the weekend and told me a young kid recieved a broken leg. it sounds just too dangerous to me. Sorry if this is what u dont want to hear but i just want a relaxing time in a place free from risk. Anyway alot of my freinds are beginning to use the family park in Ratoath so i have no choice but to follow the crowd. Anyway the €10 admission in Rathbeggan is too steep for me.

I was there all weekend and there was certainly no broken leg! also, as i mentioned above, admission is 2 euro, not 10. I dont know where that figure came from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

I think ye have te pay for the fish ye bring home too. Ratbeggan is like throwing a rod into a fishing tank...boring.
    Strawberry beds for river fishing. Howth off the rocks for sea fishing. And cavan for lake.

Howth is the most fun, I caught 27 fish there in an hour and a half. All mackrel but still fun. Just fish when the tides come in or go out and ye get millions of fish. Ye have to be fast at casting and make sure the local sealion doesnt rob your fishies, fecker stole loads of mine. he waits till ye cast and follows your line, the lazy fella has an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

tiocimarla wrote: »
    I think ye have te pay for the fish ye bring home too. Ratbeggan is like throwing a rod into a fishing tank...boring.
    Strawberry beds for river fishing. Howth off the rocks for sea fishing. And cavan for lake.

Howth is the most fun, I caught 27 fish there in an hour and a half. All mackrel but still fun. Just fish when the tides come in or go out and ye get millions of fish. Ye have to be fast at casting and make sure the local sealion doesnt rob your fishies, fecker stole loads of mine. he waits till ye cast and follows your line, the lazy fella has an easy life.

Well at least it's back on topic, might I ask what fishing for an 11 year old there is at either newbridge or letsgrowtogether?

apologies for semi-hijacking your thread there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Not familiar with newbridge, maybe on the weir somewhere quiet.

i will ask my friend again, but definately a kid broke their leg, thats what she said. Also great fishing for an 11 yr old, Maynooth, huge lake there. they have great weekly deals. Mate of mine said he fished all day n got some big ones. alot more value i think!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

breda1 wrote: »
    i will ask my friend again, but definately a kid broke their leg, thats what she said. Also great fishing for an 11 yr old, Maynooth, huge lake there. they have great weekly deals. Mate of mine said he fished all day n got some big ones. alot more value i think!!!

Another new user with few posts, same thread, bashing the same place here in angling forum as in the airsoft forum
    Great similarities - is this another new username for the same critic, or not?

Suspicious ...

Yea I went fishing in Howth a few times and its great. Alot more of a natural setting and very quiet and relaxing. I'd give that a thumps up as well.

AndyWhite wrote: »
    My mistake about you being banned. A moderator deleted one of your comments in another forum and said goodbye dariusz1234 so i assumed wrong there. Sorry about that.
    The post wasnt solely to you. I mentioned greg as you said you were agreeing with him in your previous post. I was pointing out that this person is a fake account.
    And you have completely misenterpreted what I meant about going there on her own. It is a family park, let me assure you of that and I'm sure the thousands of people who were there over the weekend would agree. I was simply suggesting that if she is unsure where to plan her day out, to have a quick look on her own first.

Apology excepetd AndyWhite! Maybe its a for other people and thats fine but for me, its just not suitable. Even the fact that "thousands" of people were there last weekend even confirms that its too small of a place to pack such numbers in and still claim to be a relaxing environment but I take your points on board.

Well at least it's back on topic, might I ask what fishing for an 11 year old there is at either newbridge or letsgrowtogether?

Check this out Spook: http://www.maynoothfisheries.com/

Dariusz1234 (or anyone else fishing there recently) :
    Was the airsoft/paintball activity going on at the same time as the fishing?
    I was told last year that the fishing was closed while airsoft went on.

coolwings u seem to letting paranoia get the better of u. Just to answer your question, i believe the shooting of these guns go on at the same time as fishing.

... u seem to letting paranoia get the better of u.
    Sign of the times! :D
    Just to answer your question, i believe the shooting of these guns go on at the same time as fishing.
    That's sufficient information for me to make a decision. It's an airsoft place, not a fishing place. Other managed fisheries do not have similar conflict of usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

Id go to either laois angling centre in coolrain or ballyhass.

Laois is a grand place and johno is a sound man....great sport there on a klinkhammer....also if there is a kid there and he doesnt catch for whatever reason johno will let you go down to the heavily stocked holding pond to catch a fish.

Ballyhass is good if you know what you are doing.....dont go to the bait lake....can be a bit rough there.

Large lake is good but only from a boat they do great begginner courses there.

coolwings wrote: »
    Dariusz1234 (or anyone else fishing there recently) :
    Was the airsoft/paintball activity going on at the same time as the fishing?
    I was told last year that the fishing was closed while airsoft went on.

They are on at the same time but in different areas. The fishing is in the main lake, the airsoft goes on in another, fenced off area.

• Advertisement

AndyWhite wrote: »
    They are on at the same time but in different areas. The fishing is in the main lake, the airsoft goes on in another, fenced off area.

Next time I'm that way I'll pop in and see the new setup.

Advertisement