Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's best to introduce an 11 year old to fishing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

back to original question...there are loads of stocky lakes now these days... i dont fish them they are not my style....there is supposed to be a good one in Edenderry, aisling or something like that, i have heard Laois angling centre is good, theres one in Corkagh park Clondalkin went up to have a look at it a few years ago when i was out that way and if you like that thing i am sure it would be ok. Maynooth is the same type of thing. Theres a good one in Swords but you have to be a member. One in Enniskerry has got good reviews, but i heard its expensive. Ballyhass lakes in Cork looks good.. there are probably a few others and some of the lads here would have fished them, look through the old posts... I would avoid Rathbeggan because of the airsoft... most of the stocky places have websites so have a search yourself.. or contact the fishery boards if they are not 'busy' they might help....

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AndyWhite

The airsoft is only on in rathbeggan on saturdays and sundays. Its just fishing midweek anyway. I havent fished any of the other places anyway. rathbeggan is convenient for me. Other than there, ive only fished places further down the country when on holiday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Put and take waters are perfect for beginners to learn the ropes due to the high dinsity of fish and reduced amount of empty water to be dealt with.

The C&R managed waters have fish which after being caught and returned a few times learn to avoid certain angling methods or tackle. They cop on and avoid larger size hooks and thicker leaders when natural food is available. But they have to eat and are thicker on the ground than wildies, so catches are good. The triploid sterile rainbows in particular fight incredibly hard, and do not dismiss them until you have caught some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hemanalert

I agree with blueirondun, I would also avoid Rathbeggan Lakes. The airsoft is so distracting when its played in the back ground.

The fishery in Maynooth is excellent and I would highly recommend. I have some vouchers if anyone is interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

hemanalert wrote: »
    I agree with blueirondun, I would also avoid Rathbeggan Lakes. The airsoft is so distracting when its played in the back ground.

The fishery in Maynooth is excellent and I would highly recommend. I have some vouchers if anyone is interested!

I'd be interested, I mailed them but didn't get a reply as yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

been down to Maynooth myself the past couple of days. Very friendly staff, Great rates, €10 for 3 hours, €15 for half day and €20 for full days fishing. Thats on the fly lake. Some seriously hard fioghting fish there, of a good size too. Didnt manage to land any of the fish I hooked, but that could be my fault:o There is a small bait lake there too, but from what i've seen no many were catching anything on it............ Definitely worth a punt tho. I'l be back for sure. Plus you can fish the rye which has some wild brownies in it, so il be trying that soon enough!

Advertisement