Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matching Speaker / Amps (Wattage & Ohm Question)

• 06-04-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭

I have some fairly old (ten years at least) sharp speakers witht he following specs:

1) 6 Ohms impedance.
    2) Rated Power = 30W
    3) Maximum Power Handling Capacity = 60W

Anyway I intend on getting the Onkyo TX-SR 507 – 5 ch x 130 Watts @ 6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven.

Is it safe to say that my speakers wouldn't be able to handle the amp the question?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

It is always better to have an amplifier that is "overpowered" for the speakers. You can't destroy the speakers unless you play insanely loud, so loud that it sounds bad, and do that for a long time.

The difference between "just enough power" and "more than enough" is that when you play loud, it would sound better, compared to a weaker amplifier solution.

In any case, you don't have to look at the wattage markings on speakers, really. Just don't hook up 4ohm speakers to a 6/8 ohm amplifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The speakers should be fine up to their rating.

If you ever have them loud enough you begin to hear distortion, turn it down quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Mathiasb wrote: »
    It is always better to have an amplifier that is "overpowered" for the speakers.
    Ah now, I wouldn't want people to take a sweeping generalisation like that as the truth. It's simply not true. Not everyone wants to play music loud for a very obvious start.

That said Sharp speakers from 10 years ago might not withstand too much oomph. Before worrying about the numbers check the rubber surrounds on the speakers aren't perished and (visually) check the crossovers are in good nick.

Advertisement