Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows in 2010 Arrivals, nesting and departures

Options
  • 06-04-2010 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Just looking out the window and noticed a heap of swallows floating around, sign of summer coming:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

greenpeter wrote: »
    Just looking out the window and noticed a heap of swallows floating around, sign of summer coming:D

They have been back since around St.Patrick's Day see here: http://www.irishbirding.com :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Was just coming on here to post the same thing.

Saw my first swallow today. He was on his own tho.

Still a sign of summer :D

As for another summer visitor has anyone seen/heard any cuckoos yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Weird I was in a meeting today and was facing the window and I see a load of swallows flying by and I was trying to remember were they earlier or just later then normal and totally zoned out of the meeting :o

Anyway its nice to see them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Same thing here I saw my first swallow a loner yesterday as well,I went to watch the geese gathering to head off and the little loner flew straight over me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I knew I started a thread on this earlier: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65028770 - it was on the 22/3/10 but I only heard rather than saw one - does that count. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Saw 2 swallows at Ballbriggan on Sunday and 1 loner feeding over the water in Baldoyle Bay yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

none here yet .They are awful early the ones that have been sighted .The ones that come here are usually 23rd april or there abouts

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not only are they back, they are back in their role of harassers of the male sparrowhawk here in my garden. :)

Just yesterday I heard for the first time this year, and no doubt only the first of many times from here onwards, the sound of swallows trying to mob a sparrowhawk.

I looked out my back window and sure enough there were swallows all swooping back and forth over one of my little trees, and in the middle of the tree was the regular male sparrowhawk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Saw a couple on the Royal Canal yesterday, zipping over the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

None here as yet, but they usually don't appear with us until around 15th April.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Have been watching now for a few weeks and was delighted to see them back, have to be my favorite Bird.
    Must go take out my mother porch window:eek:

I knew I started a thread on this earlier: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65028770 - it was on the 22/3/10 but I only heard rather than saw one - does that count. :D

NO:P

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Just seen my first of the year in North Co. Cork.
    Same time (within two days) as the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

March 13 according to RTE. Saw one here in the UK yesterday. Lovely !!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Lads,
    With topics like this, it would be nice if you would indicate the county you are reporting from, if it isn't clear from your avatar.
    That way we can all build up a picture of where a particular bird or animal is.
    Of course, with senstive or endangered species, it's not always a agood idea to reveal location.
    I saw my first swallows on Saturday, April 3, in Kildare.
    None here in Mayo yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I thought I saw that familiar swoop yesterday out of the side of my eye. Confirmed today with 2-3 swooshing around and hanging out on the wires. I think they're a bit earlier than last year.
    South Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭pinc

Saw 2 today near Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Sorry, location is key alright.

The one i saw that i posted about earlier was in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Just seen first in Cork City

Meath:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

You can tag your sightings over at http://www.biology.ie

Saw a swallow today Co. Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Saw 2 this afternoon in mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

no sign here yet where I am in County Waterford. Twas April 17th last year. Had to make sure the shed where they nest was cat proof, our cat was just a kitten last year so I hope she doesn't put them off. She is more preoccupied with baby rabbits atm :( but fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

saw one today in east mayo they are early this year .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Saw one yesterday here in Co Waterford, checking out if the spot's still available I presume.
    Poor cat will be in for another summer of hassling soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

pair of swallows arrived today, were trying to get into their old nest spot in the shed but seemed put off by the mesh I have put up. Made the hole
    slightly bigger for them so here's hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Swallows travel some distance, its amazing how the Lord formed his creation.

Is it true that they leave in august? they have their last feed and then head back to africa ( is africa even where they come from? ) :confused:

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭secman

Definitely saw one swallow/house martin on Fri 9th April not too far from ballygarrett, Wexford. I believe the male bird gets home first.

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is it true that they leave in august? they have their last feed and then head back to africa ( is africa even where they come from?

They leave here in September/October. They don't just take a last feed here and fly all the way to Southern Africa in one go. On both the Northerly and Southerly journeys they stop-off frequently to rest and feed. Crossing the desert is the toughest single phase. The ever-expanding Sahara is becoming an increasingly hazardous region for the birds to cross.
    Some rest in Spain for example and remain there for the Summer, others get to Holland and stop there, others fly on again to Ireland and stay with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I saw my first of the season last week.

edit: Comeragh mountains, Waterford.

Advertisement