Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows in 2010 Arrivals, nesting and departures

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Some of you Swallow watchers (haven't had one this year myself) may like to record the date and location here:

http://www.biology.ie/home.php?m=birds

It really helps national records and is handy to look up your own records later. It can be used for many birds and they have Butterfly, Mammal, Road Kill and other surveys there as well. AND it's Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Early this week on the Donegal coast... a pair dancing over the calm waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭yknaa

RonMexico wrote: »
    You can tag your sightings over at http://www.biology.ie

Saw a swallow today Co. Clare

Logged one on the site - spotted in Co. Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Enniscorthy - Finally saw one today 22/4/10 having heard one on the 22/3/10. A few House Martins about too but no Swifts yet and they are one of my favourite sounds of summer. :)
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/swift/

yknaa wrote: »
    Logged one on the site - spotted in Co. Louth

I just logged my Sparrow Hawk, from last night, and Swallow from today on that site - not very scientific but rather fun. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

The local swallows here has just seemed to appear very recently!Nice to see them back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

I just logged my Sparrow Hawk, from last night, and Swallow from today on that site - not very scientific but rather fun. :)

where am I most likely to spot a Sparrow Hawk JD?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Saw a single one on 12/04, then had one more visit from a single one a week ago. Today the whole lot of them are back, settling back in the shed as I type. We have 3 couples I think (at least).
    Co Waterford near Knockmealdowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

While I've seen swallows almost daily, my ones aren't back yet. Can often be May so they are not late. I think it was near mid May last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Mine came back Wednesday. Swooping around my back garden, into and out of my garage as I'm typing this. Summer is here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Mine came back Wednesday. Swooping around my back garden, into and out of my garage as I'm typing this. Summer is here....

I have Swallows on my barn singing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

This little guy was / is trapped in Nutgrove Shopping Centre yesterday. I asked a management staff member if they would open the shutters in the roof to let him out. He said he would inform a more senior member of staff. Hope he got out.

img00079201004241428.jpg

Just wondering if anybody has notice Swallows is greater numbers than usual for this time of year. Here in the North East we are seeing numbers that we would usually associate with the post breeding late Summer period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Just wondering if anybody has notice Swallows is greater numbers than usual for this time of year. Here in the North East we are seeing numbers that we would usually associate with the post breeding late Summer period.

I'm seeing fewer than expected in Kildare.

However I saw a grop of about 50 flying almost directly South the other day.

Do you have any theories?

Numbers seem about usual here

Mothman wrote: »
    Do you have any theories?

Numbers seem about usual here

I don't actually. Considering the air flow was against them I wonder why I'm seeing a greater density the further North I go. Maybe larger than normal numbers survived migration and spead in their usual densities until there was nowhere else to go :confused:

Anybody got any theories?

Perhaps they got held up by the northerlies combined with ash.

Do Swallows breed in Iceland and if so what route might they take?

Mothman wrote: »
    Do Swallows breed in Iceland and if so what route might they take?

No. They do reach as far as Northern Norway, but by a continental route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

My visitors are finally back. Perhaps about a week later than their usual arrival. I have 2 artificial nest cups up for them this year. I'm very interested to see what they think of them.

• Advertisement

Still no Swifts yet here in DG/Enniscorthy but the odd one has been turning up around the country on www.irishbirding.com - for me the screaming call of Swifts is the real sign that summer has finally arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

I had 3 swifts today over Inchicore in Dublin 8 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Guramoogah

I saw three or four swifts in Tramore, Co Waterford last evening (29th April). Now, bring on the summer!

Just heard first Swift here in Enniscorthy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tarsna

No sign of my Swallows who bed last year in my garage...:(

Tarsna wrote: »
    No sign of my Swallows who bed last year in my garage...:(
    Hang in there, mine were even later last year

Oh I do hope so

It was a lovely sight to see all six sitting on the beam together.....and the site is a very safe one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Oh I do hope so

It was a lovely sight to see all six sitting on the beam together.....and the site is a very safe one

tis class alright, will always remember having a sneaky peak in the shed and seeing all these little heads staring back at me from the edge of the nest. fingers crossed for you though. 'my' pair have become very busy in the last few days, nest building must be at full speed

My Swallows are back......lets hope they start nesting soon

Has anyone else got theres nesting yet?

• Advertisement

My Swallows are back......lets hope they start nesting soon

Has anyone else got theres nesting yet?
    Great news :)

Not sure if mine have eggs yet.

Advertisement