Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New hip roof on my shed?

• 06-04-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hello, dont know if hip is the right term for what I want but I need some advice on materials. At the moment I have a block built shed with a flat roof on it, 12 foot by 15 foot. It has a slight fall on it so its too low in the back and the rain water pools on it. I want to put an A shape roof on because I am converting the shed into a room and I dont want to be repairing a flat roof every ten years. The inside of the roof will look like an 'A' because I need the little bit of extra head height, (I need planning permission if I go above 4 metres finished height).
    I need some advice please on the following;
    How to estimate how much timber I need and what sort?
    Tiles/slates/corrugated metal/felt, whats best to finish with?

I also have a question heating wise, I will be running water out to the shed for a toilet and sink. Should I put in a boiler with a couple of radiators? Havent a clue what type of boiler to get for such a small room. I could take a t off the gas line feeding the boiler in the house and run a line out there too( I would get someone to do that, I am handy with plumbing but I dont mess with gas or electricity!).

Any help or advice is gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

ste15 wrote: »
    Hello, dont know if hip is the right term for what I want but I need some advice on materials. At the moment I have a block built shed with a flat roof on it, 12 foot by 15 foot. It has a slight fall on it so its too low in the back and the rain water pools on it. I want to put an A shape roof on because I am converting the shed into a room and I dont want to be repairing a flat roof every ten years. The inside of the roof will look like an 'A' because I need the little bit of extra head height, (I need planning permission if I go above 4 metres finished height).
    I need some advice please on the following;
    How to estimate how much timber I need and what sort?
    Tiles/slates/corrugated metal/felt, whats best to finish with?

I also have a question heating wise, I will be running water out to the shed for a toilet and sink. Should I put in a boiler with a couple of radiators? Havent a clue what type of boiler to get for such a small room. I could take a t off the gas line feeding the boiler in the house and run a line out there too( I would get someone to do that, I am handy with plumbing but I dont mess with gas or electricity!).

Any help or advice is gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance.

A hip roof is the type that slopes down to all of the walls i.e. there are no gable ends.

If you want to maximize your internal volume you probably want a roof with gables or half hip.

The amount of wood will depend greatly on the type and pitch of the roof, size of the wood used and weight of the roof - depends on the materials used.

I'd say avoid metal for noise reasons. Imagine what it would be like in heavy rain or hail?!

Perhaps roof tiles to match the house? Are you planning to make a self contained studio? Office? a better idea of what it will be used for may help recommendations. Are you putting internal walls, what about roof windows? are you leaving the space open inside up to the roof, or putting a ceiling and storage loft?

Any reason you want the heating system separate to the main house? Is the shed far away? for such a small area is electric heating an option? A second boiler seems a pain, where you thinking gas fire and/or cooker? Is it getting a separate ESB meter? Is there to be a shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ste15

Hello there HappyHarry, thanks for the reply. You are dead on the money there, I want gable ends. Roof height will be roughly a metre high. I was thinking of putting in 2 velux windows. A small room partitioned off for toilet and sink, no shower. I am totally open to suggestion on heating and matching roof tiles to the house sounds good. The shed is a good 20 foot away from the house so joining up to current house heating may be innefficient? Not sure though on that one. It wont be getting its own esb meter either.

Advertisement