Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance , housemate on the dole ?

Options
  • 06-04-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭

rigth so my housemate has been living with me for the last 5 months, his rent is 380 a month and up until 2 months ago he was doing fine on cash in hand jobs in pubs, now hes on the dole as that work has all dried up but he cant afford rent anymore, hes under 23 so only gets 100 a week dole, our landlord agreed to accept 200 a month off him but now the landlord is pushing for the money back up to 380, ive been looking into rent allowance but cant seem to get a straight answer anywhere.

a) can he get rent allowance even though hes living in a house with me and im fulltime employed

b) whats the process he has to go through to get it, our landlord is fine with it but wants it sorted

c) how much will the rent allowance people pay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

and up until 2 months ago he was doing fine on cash in hand jobs in pubs,

Paying tax no doubt :rolleyes:

If that is the case your housemate deserves NOTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

A) your status won't effect but he might not be elible based on other thing. You said he was Paying rent for 5 month. But he has to have been paying rent for 6 months or be on the housing list. If his rent is too high he won't get rent allowance at all for example in Donegal you can only rent allowance if your rent is lower than 85 any higher and you won't get any The amount of rent allownce you can get is different from area to area but it would be higher in places like Dublin.

B) he has to go to the local COmmunity welfare officer

Advertisement