Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running v Cycling

• 06-04-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭

This has probably cropped up before at some stage, but going on personal circumstances, while out for a run tonight, i felt obliged to gather some thoughts on the matter.

Been an avid runner (marathon3.10) turned cyclist for the past year and happily lost the luxury of a company car for the two wheels at the end of last yr so been commuting 25k total each day since.

Thinking this would keep my fitness up along with 1/2 runs a week, i have to admit its not so. I believe runing and runners in general are fitter aeobically than cyclists. This is never more apparant on turning up at an average 10k/10 mile road race versus turning up at a sportive of which i ve done a few. Runners are slimmer and generally look slimmer and fitter.

It got me thinking of the wicklow 200 v dublin marathon....both good tests, but a marathon outweighs a sportive anyday in my mind in both preparation and outright test on the day.

Just wanted to put this out there to gauge thoughts as i m sure some bike heads will disagree.....

thx for listening

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Some discussion here.

Fitness is specific.

Runners are thinner than cyclists because weight matters more with running and because heavy people tend to avoid running for fear of destroying their joints.

From my experience of running races vs cycling races, runners look fitter but there is a greater spread of ability due to lack of drafting. It is very difficult to judge someone's cycling ability from how they look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I will agree that its easier to take it easier on a bike, when I raced and was in peak condition I decided to cross train running, aerobically it was fine, but I couldn't run and stay under 80%~ of my MHR. Then again that was only one session, anyone who doesnt think the whole using different muscle groups thing is important should try, I was sore for days after a gentle jog/run of about 40min~, it would take a flat out 40k TT for me to feel similar on the bike :eek:.

also you say road race of 10k/10m you mean running? and sportive's are not races, its not a fair comparison!
    turn up at a 100km RACE and rethink that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

rothar man wrote: »
    This is never more apparant on turning up at an average 10k/10 mile road race versus turning up at a sportive of which i ve done a few.
    why don't you try cycle racing? seems like you'll fly to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mohigan

I am also a runner but i also think i am a cyclist.
    I did a 45 mile cycle on sunday with a friend at just
    under 14 miles an hour.I could not keep with him on hills.
    He cycles twice a week doing 30 miles on saturday and sunday
    for the last 2 years while I have just started on the bike with about 3 cycles of 30 miles plus.He has a giant trc4 while i have a carrera virtouso.
    While he freewheels downhill Im pedalling mad!
    I must say i only get on the bike once a week but am a sub 3.10 marathon
    runner but that 45 miles on sunday was tough although much easier recovery than from running.I just want to build up endurance but wonder how much time i will have to give to cycyling while keeping my running good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Fitness is specific. Running and bike will give you a good general aerobic system but the muscles used are different. Second run I ever did I ran 10km, breathing was no problem but I could not walk for a week. Could still cycle though. I had an idea on doing triathlons at that point but decided I liked the cycling more. You are right there is no let up in running but at the same time a runner unexperienced with cycling would not be able to TT or road race. Try a road race, see how you get on. The tougher sportives are the cycling equivalent of marathons to an extent; you will have the fit fast guys up the front end but also the joggers down the back! And fair dues to them too for getting off their arses to do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

In terms of an average road race-anybody can run or jog in a running race but a cycle race has no fun-cyclists or fitness people. Cycle races are far harder in my opinion although at the highest level both are equally as tough.

Think Lance said the marathon he ran though was harder than any stage race he ever cycled..........:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Kinda would have to agree a but with you rothar man in saying the marathon is harder than a sportive

I ve done DCM in 3h25min and done the wicklow 200 and the marathon is way harder you never get a break on the run, on the bike you get loads of little breaks all through the day

I would not agree with you saying marathon runners are fitter like borg said fitness is very sports baised

jinka wrote: »
    Cycle races are far harder in my opinion
    I think a running race is as hard as you make it for yourself, and sportives are similar in this regard... a cycle race you have no control over how hard it is, you just have to do whatever it takes to stay with the bunch. Obviously winning a running race is as hard as winning a cycle race, it is just that the format of the latter due to aerodynamics has a certain minimum standard that running does not. Which makes running more inclusive but no easier to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Don't forget the differences in impact. A lot of recreational cyclists would not make good runners because of weight, or other conditions that can make running painful or damaging in the long run (joint problems, gait problems, age, etc.). However, stick them on a bike and they can go all day. I don't think it's fair to say that they "look fitter". Yes, you see a few more "middle aged bellies" at sportives, I still wouldn't doubt their ability though.

I have certainly been at the mercy of people while on the bike who I am quite sure I would have the beating of if it came to a running race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Theres no doubt that running a marathon is harder than doing a sportive no matter what pace your moving at. All sportives are not leisure cycles as the Barrow Wheelers one in January proved. The front of the field that day reached speeds of 55kph on the flat. Also you never get a break while running whereas on a descent on a bike you can relax and go as easy or as hard as you wish. Ive ran 8 marathons and have found them all to be much more difficult to complete than cycling 5 or 6 hours on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

There's nothing to stop you walking a marathon.... agreed that presumably you would be walking because you are wrecked, but its not so bad when you are walking.
    So i think it depends...

rothar man wrote: »
    I believe runing and runners in general are fitter aeobically than cyclists.

This may be true on average seeing as there are so many cyclists that ride just for fun/fitness. Racing is a completely different matter. Completely. The VO2 max values of pro racing cyclists are stratospheric, as are the values of pro long distance runners I'm sure. However at an amateur level, it's easy to pootle along on a bike but there's no such thing as pootling while running, cos then you're just walking.

Basically, if you find cycling easier than running, you're not cycling fast enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Kannon wrote: »
    There's nothing to stop you walking a marathon.... agreed that presumably you would be walking because you are wrecked, but its not so bad when you are walking.

There is a view that people should be disqualified from marathons if they walk in clear traffic.

I wouldn't dare put forward such a proposal, oh no. Think of the charities!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Basically, if you find cycling easier than running, you're not cycling fast enough.

Like!

But seriously lads, this surely comes down to it being WAY easier to do a marathon on a bike than running:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Let's add the swimers in here too. Then have a combined race to see who is the fittest. Maybe have the Liffey Swim, Wicklow 200 and DCM the winner will demonstrate who is the best. Oh wait.......

my 2 cent an easy 40 min run is harder than a 40 min cycle and I believe burns more calories (twice the amount ???) but my hip cannot take it anymore so it's cycling for me. So fitness is sport specific so v difficult to compare and also defo more skills in bike racing due to the drafting effect and if you lose a wheel you're screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Cross country skiers make us all look like pussies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Waddling around the DCM is not difficult.
    Waddling around the W200 is not difficult.

A 40km TT on the bike done properly hurts.
    A 10km running race hurts.

Its not the sports that make something difficult its the attitude of the participant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

niceonetom wrote: »
    Particularly the ones with the rifles!

DFD*

*DiaphragmFire!Diaphragm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    you see a few more "middle aged bellies" at sportives.

Nutrition reserves...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

i prefer cycling BUT in fairness........ you are sitting down:)

running is harder on the body i'd say and probably better exercise overall as it burns more calories and uses the upper body muscles.

running is harder on the body i'd say and probably better exercise overall as it burns more calories and uses the upper body muscles.
    Not many would run for 8 hours straight though... or repeat that every day for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

niceonetom wrote: »

That sport also makes cycling look clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

i prefer cycling BUT in fairness........ you are sitting down:)
    What about rowing? Sitting down on a nice big seat, pootling down on a river. The Boat Race was only 18 minutes and thats considered a long race! Handy altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

blorg wrote: »
    Not many would run for 8 hours straight though... or repeat that every day for a week.

Some do manage though :D

(I'd say I'm the only person in Ireland (and possibly the world... the 2 extremes don't overlap much) to have done both a 24 hour run and a 24 hour cycle... of those two the run is definitely the harder by far).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

lol we ll try finish this thread .. the marahon takes longer to recover from than say a 3 hour bike race just because of the extra stress and impacts you get.

If you where to run a marathon like a bike race chasing the pace youd never finish in the time you trained for.

Advertisement