Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HID Problem

• 06-04-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got HID's installed in my 3 series recently.

Everything was working fine for a few weeks, but now one of the dims is only working when it decides to!

For example driving from Waterford to Dublin today. Wouldn't light from leaving home, pulled in restarted the car - worked fine for 2.5 hours. Pulled in for fuel, wouldn't work. Restarted a few times - no joy. Got to the house in Dublin, restarted the car and lit up no problem!!

Any ideas?

I've installed cancellers but made no difference. I don't know if its the ballast, as once its lit there's no problem, its just a matter of getting it going in the first place.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

check the connection blocks. I always use cable ties to tighten them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Are these OEM or After market?

There's multiple points in the OEMs but some aftermarket (aka €80 bulbs + ballast) are sealed units. If this is the case then simply check the power connectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey,

Checked the cables...everything is perfect!

Only installed the canceller today in the hope it would make a different, but it didn't :(

Out of curiosity, what do you mean the canceller?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

this is a well well know problem with aftermarket HID kits and BMW's.
    they can work perfect for some and not at all for others. there is no easy fix other than checking through all the hid lits available to see which ones work and which dont.

tbh its probably a blessing in disguise as hid kits in reflector housings are a bog no no as they blind oncomming cars (assuming you have reflector housings) what model and year bmw do you have?

best bet is to get a decent set of H7 bulbs.
    Out of curiosity, what do you mean the canceller?

its a resister type thing that tries to fool the ECU into thinking the bulbs are running the correct wattage ie. standard bulbs are 55w and hid's are 35w so the ECU see's the drop in wattage and thinks the bulb is blown.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    its a resister type thing that tries to fool the ECU into thinking the bulbs are running the correct wattage ie. standard bulbs are 55w and hid's are 35w so the ECU see's the drop in wattage and thinks the bulb is blown.

Ah, ok, this is to prevent the dash warning of the blown bulb. Wasn't aware that this was called a canceller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

kceire wrote: »
    this is a well well know problem with aftermarket HID kits and BMW's.
    they can work perfect for some and not at all for others. there is no easy fix other than checking through all the hid lits available to see which ones work and which dont.

tbh its probably a blessing in disguise as hid kits in reflector housings are a bog no no as they blind oncomming cars (assuming you have reflector housings) what model and year bmw do you have?

best bet is to get a decent set of H7 bulbs.

Hey,

I don't have reflector housings - they are projector so I'm not blinding anyone.

Can't understand why they were working perfectly and now just one bulb is giving a problem :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jamieh wrote: »
    Hey,

I don't have reflector housings - they are projector so I'm not blinding anyone.

Can't understand why they were working perfectly and now just one bulb is giving a problem :(

its more than likely the kit then. sometimes you have to buy the more expensive brand!

these guys - http://www.khoalty.com/Hids.html seemly provide kits that work perfectly with BMW.

does you car have the bulb out error while running the hid kit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I had this problem in my father-in-law's passat. It turned out to be a dodgy connection where the original bulb unit connects to the HID ballast. It seemed secure, but when I played around withe the wires, I found a bad connection. I had to bend the spade slightly to get a good connection. No problems since.

Advertisement