Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Pride Parades - self defeating?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭eaglach

I never understood the gay pride parade thing.

I am what you consider a "straigh-acting" guy, and when I see a gay pride parade it seems to reinforce the stereotype that all gay guys are flamboyant and camp.

If anything I think its a misrepresentation of LGBT as not everyone is represented in it. I guess the flamboyancy of it all stands out the most.

And just to add... I hate the flag!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I think it is self defeating, because most LGB people fight for equal rights / treatment / acknowledgement, yet they pigeon-hole themselves with their own sub-society they've created [the scene]
    And a lot of people [not all!] conform to the stereotypes of the scene

It's not black & white either, excessive pride isnt the same as lack of shame

It's like sayin "not part of the solution, part of the problem" that phrase is complete BS

IMO there are much bigger causes that deserve the money and effort that goes into these parades [I'm not sayin LGB issues are irrelevant, just talkin priorities]

Everybody dance now, unce, unce, unce unce unce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

A march is fine, but it's the OTT in your face flamboyancy that many people -mostly male- find hard to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    A march is fine, but it's the OTT in your face flamboyancy that many people -mostly male- find hard to swallow.
    Try some orange juice, it suppresses the gag reflex.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

I'm glad I've stimulated such debate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Donnaghm wrote: »
    I'm glad I've stimulated such debate!

Well peoples views on pride parades are as diverse as the parades themselves

Some love them
    Some hate them
    Some see them as full of drag queens
    Some see them as very diverse
    Some see them as representative
    Others see them as representative
    Some believe they should be political
    Others say apolitical
    Some people use them to score
    Others use them to meet their friends
    Some people celebrate at them
    Others reject them and believe they are outdated

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement