Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stronger Meteor 3G signal than GSM

Options
  • 06-04-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

In my house you can get pretty much perfect reception across all networks except meteor, however if I activate the 3G setting on my Nokia E52 I get a full Meteor 3G signal. how is this so? do 3G signals penetrate concrete better than GSM or something. I found this out after like 2 years on the network, beforehand I had to run upstairs just to get one bar on GSM Meteor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

yer man! wrote: »
    In my house you can get pretty much perfect reception across all networks except meteor, however if I activate the 3G setting on my Nokia E52 I get a full Meteor 3G signal. how is this so? do 3G signals penetrate concrete better than GSM or something. I found this out after like 2 years on the network, beforehand I had to run upstairs just to get one bar on GSM Meteor

the nearest mast to you may be a 3G mast and not a combined 3g/gsm one. you can check this on the comreg.ie website. I dont have the link at hand but a quick google search should do the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

yer man! wrote: »
    do 3G signals penetrate concrete better than GSM or something.

No, they are more powerful though it what they can do as in speeds capabilities etc. Chances are the 3g cell is closer like dmn said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

ah ok Thanks, just thought it was weird to have the better signal rather than the basic one first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Please excuse the silly question but does a 3G signal only carry data and not voice. The reason I ask is because I also usually have a strong 3G signal but seem to be dropping voice calls. Am wondering if there is a known issue with the Nokia E72 handset as the other half and the mate have the same handset and are also on Meteor and are having the same issue.
    Is it possible to activate the gsm signal only on this handset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you go into menu > settings > connectivity > network > network mode, you should be able to select gsm from their.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers Davy, what ability do I loose if I use gsm single only?

Thanks;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

cubix wrote: »
    Cheers Davy, what ability do I loose if I use gsm single only?

Thanks;)

Just high speed internet and video calling. Having your phone set to GSM only usually improves your battery life too.

Advertisement