Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Word on Licence yet after 4 months

Options
  • 06-04-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi All,

A friend of mine applied for their first licence over 4 months ago. No letter confirming the application has been received. Called the lady dealing with the applications (in Wexford area) and has come up against a brick wall. First call basically went " New application? I have 600 renewals to get through first....no idea of a time scale!".

2 weeks later....more or less the same (but now there were 1,000 renewals on her desk)!

Week ago rang the Phoenix Park (very helpful guy) who enquired and got back to them saying that basically the lady is snowed under and "although technically all the applications are new applications" she seems to be dealing with the extentions first. So nothing he can really do. Follow up call to the lady said basically "the other people have guns at home, so they are priority and has no idea when she can look at the new applications".

Anything this person can do now? If they keep phoning the person in charge, they are afraid of pi**ing off the person and the application be shoved further down the pile. Any ideas welcome!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

in the same boat ,im in mid sep . wexford are a disgrace .arrogant ignorant self important prxxks .

that kinda sums them up.

des , nargc . or golf

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sporting shot

True JW,

I got my licences back after 3 months. Prob is my friend doesnt have their gun, at least we could use our (until they got their finger out and sent the new licence out).

Kinda unfair when every renewal comes in and gets put before their application though!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Anything this person can do now? If they keep phoning the person in charge, they are afraid of pi**ing off the person and the application be shoved further down the pile. Any ideas welcome!!!

Jaysus lad. seems as though you/he have covered all bases and rang as many people as you could. Unfortunately, as the lad in the Pheonix park said, it is the responsibility and duty of the local district station to process the applications as they see fit and other than follow up calls i cannot see what else you can do.

I doubt anyone you ring will call the Lady/station and ask/demand your friends application be moved up the list. Sorry to be of no help, but it seems as though your mate will just have to wait unless they bring in extra stff to sort through the backlog.

Sorry.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

Hi All,

A friend of mine applied for their first licence over 4 months ago. No letter confirming the application has been received. Called the lady dealing with the applications (in Wexford area) and has come up against a brick wall. First call basically went " New application? I have 600 renewals to get through first....no idea of a time scale!".

2 weeks later....more or less the same (but now there were 1,000 renewals on her desk)!

Week ago rang the Phoenix Park (very helpful guy) who enquired and got back to them saying that basically the lady is snowed under and "although technically all the applications are new applications" she seems to be dealing with the extentions first. So nothing he can really do. Follow up call to the lady said basically "the other people have guns at home, so they are priority and has no idea when she can look at the new applications".

hmmm my uncle in law got his with in 2 weeks of him handing it in to the wexford boys must have been lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

i left my appllication in on christmas week i had the f/o out to check my safe and he checked the rifle in the dealers everything was ok he said id have no problem im still waiting and havent heard from them since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Substitution request lodged in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I've a cousin in the Gardai who was telling me it takes about 20 minutes just to input the info on each application form into the pulse system. If there are 240,000 firearms out there currently being reapplied for, that's 80,000 man hours just inputing data. That would be the easy bit. Security inspections, checking up on club memberships, landowners permissions etc would be even more time consuming. With cutbacks, there's no overtime for the Gardai and no recruitment so the backlog must be building up and up and up...... It's partly their own fault (their management that is) for coming up with such a complex application form but why the hell do people who have been trained at great expense to the taxpayer to fight crime end up administering firearms applications in the first place? There should be a few clerical grade civil servants doing all the red tape stuff and the Gardai should simply be vetting applicants. I'm sure this has all been discussed before ad nauseum:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bruce264

I put in application for a new shotgun towards end of november, didnt get aletter after 10 days so went into station and fo said he had just posted of application,didnt recieve any confermation letter but had my licence through by 7th jan,less than 2 months!
    Hoping it goes the same for renewal of air rifle, and hopefully putting in for a rifle soon to.
    Hope you get sum luck with yours soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I would see the problem being the fact that they insist on licencing the firearm instead of licencing the person, which would make more sense as their not checking out the history or doing background checks on the firearm but on the person and to do this each and every time an application or substitution goes in is just silly.

Yes, this person is of sound mind and is a responsible member of society - therefore we can licence him/her to own/use a firearm/firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sporting shot

hmmm my uncle in law got his with in 2 weeks of him handing it in to the wexford boys must have been lucky

Was your uncle in law applying for his first application? This person has all the documents needed, went and bought a new safe (although not legally required) and sent in receipt for same. Is a member of the NARGC, etc BUT no joy yet!

When did he hand it in?

Cheers in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

I have just bought a shotgun and I am now pending a joint licence with my brother. I am 18 and he is 16. The one that sorts out the firearms applications in my area had it on the sytem within a day of me lodging my application. She also said I should get word back on my licence within 2 to 3 weeks. Is this too optimistic of her. We are first time applicantes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 imincanada

Are An garda siochana checking every safe and every land permission in the country! Surely spot checks on- say 10% of all applic's would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I put money down on a .270 and 18 days later i had the rifle in my safe!

I got a phone call off the my sergeant who told me the licence was accepted but would probably take a fair while to be processed. she wrote out a permission slip explaining the details and told me to collect the gun!Happy Days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Dont feel too bad lads, I applied for an air rifle about 6mnths back, still havent heard a thing. Meanwhile my young nephew just picked up one in Walmart, paid for it and walked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

the f/o foned me this morning he wanted a breif backround history of me.
    to see if i would be responsable enough for a rifle when i told him about being in the army and fireing the styer and gpmg all was ok he said i should have my licence shortly :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i sent my renewals in last october!!!! still nothing!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭fiattech

put in an application to my local garda station 01/01/2009 YES i did say 2009 i will have a decision by 30/04/2010.....or not i will let you all know how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bang2

imincanada wrote: »
    Are An garda siochana checking every safe and every land permission in the country! Surely spot checks on- say 10% of all applic's would do.

You would think so , but it dosent seem to be the case, My sergeant came out personally to check my safe even though I had reminded him that he had sent out the CPO 8 months previous to do the same thing .:eek:
    Then a week later I had to bring all guns down to the station for verification.

after all that got licenses very fast including a substitution.
    Bang2

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Beretta man

I was in with the Garda in Cork a few months ago applying for my 4th gun and they said I think I have to come to your house to check your safe but I will ring Dublin to make sure,and was told she did not have to check because once I have declared it on the application that's good for them if It ever us found out I don't have one I will be liable for charges..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

fiattech wrote: »
    put in an application to my local garda station 01/01/2009 YES i did say 2009 i will have a decision by 30/04/2010.....or not i will let you all know how i get on

If you put an application in on the 1/1/2009 it would have been processed under the old system. A new application on an FCA1 would have been required after July 31st, 2009.

If they did not process the application under the old system (for whatever reason) an FCA1 would still have been required after July 31st.

Still a long wait, so not tking from your plight, but how did it go so long without being processed under the old system and did they inform you that as it wasn't processed that an FCA1 would be needed to continue the application under the new system?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement