Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patenting an invention??

Options
  • 06-04-2010 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I have recently thought of an invention but have no clue how to patent it. Is it expensive? Does it take long? Where would i go to further develop the idea? Questions galore!! Any ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

What is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Select

What is it?
    Will i bend over too?

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

You can patent specific aspects to an invention that must be new, involve an inventive step and be capable of industrial application. This process is very very expensive, ie. you can get a local patent, but if the idea is any good you need a worldwide one and you most definitely need a very good patent attorney as for someone to replicate the product all they need to do is change it slightly or improve on your design.

Also I think you might have misunderstood the lads earlier, they didn't ask for the secret sauce just a rough idea what your trying to do. Product, invention, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Select

You can patent specific aspects to an invention that must be new, involve an inventive step and be capable of industrial application. This process is very very expensive, ie. you can get a local patent, but if the idea is any good you need a worldwide one and you most definitely need a very good patent attorney as for someone to replicate the product all they need to do is change it slightly or improve on your design.

Also I think you might have misunderstood the lads earlier, they didn't ask for the secret sauce just a rough idea what your trying to do. Product, invention, etc.
    ok thanks for your comment.its a safety device for cyclists as far as i could tell it hasnt been thought of i checked the net but ye know yourself thats not exactly an accurate way to be sure. its a fairly simple design im going to write down a few sketches and post it to myself.....next stop dragons den :)

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Have you done a patent search yet?

http://www.google.com/patents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭loloray

Select wrote: »
    I have recently thought of an invention but have no clue how to patent it. Is it expensive? Does it take long? Where would i go to further develop the idea? Questions galore!! Any ideas.
    Hi, as far as I know, you're realistically talking about 4k - 6k including everything for a patent in Ireland.
    When you submit the patent form, it's something along the linkes of (say you're patenting a wheel);
    Description:
    1. Round object
    2. Round object that is shaped like a circle
    3. Round object that is shaped like a circle that is made of any material
    4. Round object that is shaped like a circle that is made of wood
    5. Round object that is shaped like a circle that is made of metal
    etc
    So as you can see, I'm not very good at that, but the point that I'm trying to convey is that you start with a wide as patent as possible, and then down to an exact particular use, so hopefully you will be granted number 24. 27., and 29. So even though there is no legal requirement for an expert or anything, you should get a professional to do it. For technical stuff, I have heard that Cruickshank are very good.

Also, you need to know that if you patent something in Ireland, then the details immediately get published. I think there is a 2 year period for you to get the same patent in other EU countries (not 100% sure on the details here, but it's something like this). You can get an EU patent though, so that's more expensive, but maybe worth looking into. However you need to know that if you patent it, then someone in Japan (for example) can do the exact same thing, assuming it is not already patented in Japan.

Talking about time, I understand it usually takes 6-12 months.

Advertisement