Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tropical tree trouble

Options
  • 06-04-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

hi folks,

There's a tropical tree in my parents front garden that seems to be dieing, i think the severe frost got to it.

First of all can you name the tree ?

And is there any way of saving it ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There have been lots of discussions on this forum about 'palm trees' and cordylines which have all suffered the same problem this winter. If the branches look sound, just leave it and it will grow back. If the branches seem to be going rotten at the ends, cut the tree back as hard as you like, they will usually grow again from a short stump.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well all the branches seem to be going rotten at the ends, so how low should i cut it? to the base?

and how long does it take for to grow back to tree-like formation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

If you cut it back to "sound" wood it can sprout on the branch in question.

If you cut it back to the base, it will take time to form a tree like structure again, not as long as it took to grow initially as the root structure is in place, but a fair old while.

Cut each branch back to firm wood and you should see buds forming and opening over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

thanks for your replies people,

i forgot to mention that it stinks to high heaven esp at the base ...does this mean its beyond salvation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Could be mushy all the way down :(

It was a severe cold snap, however I have seen them come back even after cutting to the base.

Cut back heavily and observe for the year, if no sign of it, then try something else in the same ground or another cordyline not in the same ground (pests, diseases etc...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement