Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Clásico - Saturday, 10 Apr 2010 - 9pm

• 06-04-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

elclas10rev.jpg

There is often a fierce rivalry between the two strongest teams in a national league, and this is particularly the case in La Liga, where the game between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid is known as El Clásico. From the start the clubs were seen as representatives of two rival regions in Spain, Catalunya and Castile, as well as of the two cities themselves. The rivalry projects what many regard as the political and cultural tensions felt between Catalans and the Castilians.
    During the dictatorships of Primo de Rivera and (especially) of Francisco Franco, all regional identities were openly suppressed (e.g. languages were officially banned, culture and traditions). So FC Barcelona became more than a club (més que un club) for Catalunya as a defender of freedom and one of its greatest ambassadors. On the contrary, for most of the Catalans and many other Spaniards, Real Madrid was representing the sovereign oppressive centralism.
    However, during the Spanish Civil War itself, members of both clubs, like Josep Sunyol and Rafael Sánchez Guerra, suffered at the hands of Franco supporters.
    During the 1950s the rivalry was exacerbated significantly when the clubs disputed the signing of Alfredo Di Stefano, who finally played for Real Madrid, thanks to the help of Franco, who transferred him to Real Madrid by "royal decree" after playing three games with Barcelona's shirt, who was the key in the subsequent success achieved by the club. The 1960s saw the rivalry reach the European stage when they met twice at the semi-final stage of the European Cup.
    As nowadays FC Barcelona and Real Madrid are the two biggest and most successful clubs in Spain, the rivalry is renewed on an almost annual basis with both teams often challenging each other for the la liga crown. The latest instalment of El Clásico was played at Camp Nou in November and saw Zlatan mark his first spectacle with the winning goal. This Saturdays encounter will mark the 156th meeting between these two behemoths of Spanish football so sit back, relax and enjoy the biggest game in the world.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I genuinely think we'll lose this match. Madrid are exactly the team that can exploit our weaknesses, amazing pace, relentless waves of counter attacks are the on menu imo. If they are clinical I can see them beating us handily enough.

Redout you're my go to guy for Barca news these days. What's Ibrahimovic's status? A forward line up Peds--Zlats--God would put me at ease. Also let's hope Abidal's injury isn't too bad, that way we can field our strongest possible XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Agree with Eze think Real in the league are far superior to barca but if barca play it like a one off game they can destroy them. Oddly expect Ronaldo the other best player in the world that noone talks about cos they dont like him to be the difference.

i have my nappies ordered :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

el Classico will be interesting :) First real classico between Messi and Ronaldo with both fit and on form. Going to be an amazing match

Personally, and this is a weird thing to say, but I don't think Ronaldo will take too kindly to Messi getting the spotlight after his unreal performance tonight [not that Ronaldo didn't get the same after he destroyed Arsenal last year]. I expect him to step up and make this match his. With the CL out of sight, he'll want some silverware in his first season, and a win here would go a long long way to doing that.

PHB wrote: »
    el Classico will be interesting :) First real classico between Messi and Ronaldo with both fit and on form. Going to be an amazing match

Personally, and this is a weird thing to say, but I don't think Ronaldo will take too kindly to Messi getting the spotlight after his unreal performance tonight [not that Ronaldo didn't get the same after he destroyed Arsenal last year]. I expect him to step up and make this match his. With the CL out of sight, he'll want some silverware in his first season, and a win here would go a long long way to doing that.

Rofl, Messi has played Ronaldo a number of times when both have been on form? Just going to repeat that line of thought until Ronaldo comes out on top or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

eZe^ wrote: »
    What's Ibrahimovic's status? A forward line up Peds--Zlats--God would put me at ease.

Latest reports on Ibra were that he was a doubt for El Clasico with his calf injury requiring 7-10 days so if you do the maths its really touch and go I suppose but you never know. Pique was rated at less than 50/50 according to reports I have seen.

As regards Real reports state that Kaka failed to take part in training this morning even though he was scheduled to but instead he returned to the gym to work on his groin problem. On a positive note 55% of Marca readers think Barca will emerge victorious from the capital this weekend :).

• Advertisement

Rofl, Messi has played Ronaldo a number of times when both have been on form? Just going to repeat that line of thought until Ronaldo comes out on top or something?

Ronaldo has only played Messi in one El Classico? And he was recovering from injury. Have they played in some Spanish Cup I am missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ronaldo has only played Messi in one El Classico? And he was recovering from injury. Have they played in some Spanish Cup I am missing?

No you have missed nothing than one player being in the spotlight and another not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

redout wrote: »
    Latest reports on Ibra were that he was a doubt for El Clasico with his calf injury requiring 7-10 days so if you do the maths its really touch and go I suppose but you never know. Pique was rated at less than 50/50 according to reports I have seen.

As regards Real reports state that Kaka failed to take part in training this morning even though he was scheduled to but instead he returned to the gym to work on his groin problem. On a positive note 55% of Marca readers think Barca will emerge victorious from the capital this weekend :).
    Wasn't it Marca that blamed Higuain for not squaring the ball to Ronaldo against Lyon and want him gone come summer?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think eze was pointing out it's not the first time they've face each other, ie when Ronaldo was at united

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

2-1 Barcelona.

Can't wait for this.

I'll take a stab at scorers too. Higuian, Xavi and Messi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Messi versus Real Madrid

Barcelona's defence is very shakey these days so I hope Real Madrid can outscore Messi since he will inevitably find the back of the net.

Abidal is out for about 10 days after suffering a recurrence of his adductor problem.

Big blow considering he only returned at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'll say, 2-1 to Barca. Messi to get both Barca's goals and Higuain to get Real's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I hope its a cracking game, i reckon that there won't be much in it,

Maybe 2-1 to either side or else a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Potential for match of the year coming up... Messi, tho... Hoorah. If he repeats tonight's performance, Jesus... God help anyone...

Can't wait for this match, tbh. I'll be shouting for Barca, and would be fairly confident too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Real Madrid - 77
    Barcelona - 77

Could a rivalry get any better than this? Last year was a great match (for one side anyway :P) hopefully this will live up to it. Real have won all 15 home games this season.

****ing hell, I'm excited!

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I'll be backing Barca big style on Saturday. 17/10 for the win, Barca by 2 or more goals @ 9/2. Sweeeeeet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Ronaldo has played against Messi with United a couple of times at least, and every time, he was invisible on the pitch while Messi looked the only player capable of turning the game.

I'm sure EVENTUALLY Messi will have an ordinary game and Ronaldo will do well and all the idiots will crawl out of the wood work and thump their chests about how he was just as good as Messi all along but didn't get the recognition for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Abidal is out for about 10 days after suffering a recurrence of his adductor problem.

Yep, really dissapointing. Although in fairness maxwell has been decent just any sort of pace causes him problems, unfortunately, Real have lots of that.

I think Barca could lose this game, as was said Madrid have lots of pace for counter attacking and explosive players. I reckon 2-1 to Real, unless Messi presses his special powers button, then Barca will win, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Disaster that.

If Real win this, the title is theirs, If Barca win, it is advantage, but Barca have by far the more difficult fixtures looming - away to Villareal, Espanyol and Sevilla.

I think Real might just bottle this. If Atleti were capable of even pretending to try to think about defending, Real would have dropped points in that game last week. Barca know how to defend and also know how to retain possession.

Out on a limb, 1-3 Barca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Too tough to call, imo.

I have a feeling it will be a one-off game though, like last year when Real were on a great run and then Barca came and destroyed them.

I don't think it will be a draw anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Or if it is a draw it'll be 5-5 or something.....:D

I think Real would be alot happier than Barca with a draw even if it does put them into 2nd on the head to head rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Zlatan will be the difference if he plays.

Ballague kind of contradicted himself on Revista last night. Firstly he seemed to think that Ibra was fit and just rested in advance of the Clasico, then in his predicted line up, Ibra was not in it.

Memnoch wrote: »
    Ronaldo has played against Messi with United a couple of times at least, and every time, he was invisible on the pitch while Messi looked the only player capable of turning the game.

I'm sure EVENTUALLY Messi will have an ordinary game and Ronaldo will do well and all the idiots will crawl out of the wood work and thump their chests about how he was just as good as Messi all along but didn't get the recognition for it.

lol. I literally couldn't disagree more. Messi beat United to an extent in the last CL final, but it wasn't Messi who ran the show, it was Iniesta. In the two legged affair, personally, and I disagreed with it on the threads back then too, I thought Ronaldo was outstanding for United in both games, doing a job for us up front on his own. Most people disagreed :)

Everyone is loving Messi right now because he destroyed Arsenal in the CL. Guess what? Ronaldo did the same thing last year :)

I look forward to this match, should be fun.

Madrid press say Kaka is out of El Clasico.

Madrids plan to stop Messi is Arbeloa on the left and build a defensive wall around which will include Marcelo, Gago, Garay and Albiol according to reports.

That will leave the central midfield open it would suggest so a big performance from Alonso will be called for.

Pique and Ibra trained alone today while Xavi, Toure and Milito stayed in the gym and didnt join the rest of the squad.

Madrids plan to stop Messi is Arbeloa on the left and build a defensive wall around which will include Marcelo, Gago, Garay and Albiol according to reports.

That's an hilarious image. :D

JPA wrote: »
    That's an hilarious image. :D

Yeah, human pyramid style!:pac:

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yeah, human pyramid style!:pac:

He'll just run through the legs. sh!t, let me down, he got through.:pac:

Kaka being out is bad, but it might allow for a more natural shape and formation for Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That will leave the central midfield open it would suggest so a big performance from Alonso will be called for.

Pique and Ibra trained alone today while Xavi, Toure and Milito stayed in the gym and didnt join the rest of the squad.

That worked to a tee when Barca played Liverpool in the CL. Arbeloa nullified Messi in both games. Very underrated player is Arbeloa.

Kess73 wrote: »
    That worked to a tee when Barca played Liverpool in the CL. Arbeloa nullified Messi in both games. Very underrated player is Arbeloa.

That was a different Messi though, 3 years ago. Will be very interesting whatever happens.

And Messi has been playing more through the centre in recent weeks to coincide with Barcas formation change.

I reckon it will more likely be a man marking job by Gago/Lass.

From the OP
    This Saturdays encounter will mark the 156th meeting between these two behemoths of Spanish football so sit back, relax and enjoy the biggest game in the world.

I most certainly will not be able to sit back and relax for this one.

Useless stat - this is only the second time in Clasico history that the clubs have been level on points for the 2nd Clasico of the season. Quite surprising that.

• Advertisement

Kaka being out is bad, but it might allow for a more natural shape and formation for Madrid.

Kaka has been very very disappointing this season, and Madrid have looked a much more fluid side without him. Too many cooks really do spoil the broth apparently.
    Kess73 wrote: »

Ah yes, the 19 year old Messi playing for Rijkaard's Barcelona during it's most barren spell in 6 years. Completely analogous to this Pep's team with Messi scoring 40 goals a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Messi already has 39 goals this season? :eek: Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,832 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Messi will destroy Real 2 - 0 to Barca

lol. I literally couldn't disagree more. Messi beat United to an extent in the last CL final, but it wasn't Messi who ran the show, it was Iniesta. In the two legged affair, personally, and I disagreed with it on the threads back then too, I thought Ronaldo was outstanding for United in both games, doing a job for us up front on his own. Most people disagreed :)

Everyone is loving Messi right now because he destroyed Arsenal in the CL. Guess what? Ronaldo did the same thing last year :)

Sigh, it's so small time that people on either side of the match are waiting for Messi/ Ronaldo to shine/ fail to impress so they can either belittle them or praise them. Messi has literally nothing to prove. He could score 3 own goals and it wouldn't make his performances over the last two seasons anything other than breathtaking. He's been better than Ronaldo, deal with it.

That the tie that Cristiano Ronaldo missed a penalty in?

• Advertisement

Vintage El Clásico photo's

1270660266_extras_albumes_0.jpg

1270660206_extras_albumes_0.jpg

1270660044_extras_albumes_0.jpg

1270659762_extras_albumes_0.jpg

1270659594_extras_albumes_0.jpg

1270659340_extras_albumes_0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Did Ronaldo miss a peno against Arsenal last year?

I would happily settle for half of this

Real-Barca-Just-Football.jpg

Oh what could have been. :(

n.jpg

Guti has said this will most likely be his last Clásico.

Alonso and Kaka were withdrawn from training and moved to the gym this morning.

Pep has banned the squad from giving interviews to the press about this weekends Clásico - Only he will speak on this matter.

Pique has said he feels fine and hopes to play on saturday.

Johan Cruyff was today made honorary president of FC Barcelona - a ceremony was held at Camp Nou and attended by Pep, Laporta, Eusebio, Txiki and Sir Bobby Charlton.

Sigh, it's so small time that people on either side of the match are waiting for Messi/ Ronaldo to shine/ fail to impress so they can either belittle them or praise them. Messi has literally nothing to prove. He could score 3 own goals and it wouldn't make his performances over the last two seasons anything other than breathtaking. He's been better than Ronaldo, deal with it.

QFT.

If he gets man marked by 6 players leaving the rest of the Barca team to run riot while Ronaldo smashes in a free kick then some small time idiot will claim Ronaldo> Messi.

Kaka being out will help Madrid immeasurably. Himself and Ronaldo in the same team doesn't work. Much like when Kaka and Ronaldinho played together in Brazil.

I'm going with a 2-1 win for Barca. Man marking Messi is one thing but Xavi and Iniesta running the midfield and the workrate of Pedro/Messi and ??? up front will hopefully prove enough.

article-1264344-090A7B72000005DC-541_634x679_popup.jpg

LOL^ His boots are the key to be fair... :p

xpg35f1.jpg

xpg31f1.jpg

XPG36F222.jpg

xpg35f3.jpg

XPG30F78.jpg

BAMARDID2-6%20(11).jpg

BAMARDID2-6%20(23).jpg

BAMARDID2-6%20(4).jpg

BAMARDID2-6%20(5).jpg

BAMARDID2-6%20(13).jpg

fotos_historicas_clasico.jpg

wall4.jpg

Can not wait for this, game of the season I reckon!

I worry about C.Ronaldo up against Maxwell, bit of a mismatch. Reckon he will start Sergio or Toure in mid? Perhaps Toure since Sergio played most of the 2 legs against Arsenal, personally I prefer Yaya there anyway to keep an eye on if Maxwell gets beaten for pace.

• Advertisement
Advertisement