Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German WHV programme cancelled?

Options
  • 06-04-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Ive heard twice in the last few weeks the Aussies will stop handing out WHVs to Germans because there has been too many of them coming? Is this true? Dont know why exactly, most of them arent exactly stealing jobs in urban areas (although with the amt of money the average German spends here they arent exactly contributing much either). Just wondering as if they did it to one group they could do it to us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I think there is a cap on the amount of WHV issued to any country. If a country reaches its cap they have to wait to the next fiscal year. Germany is a very big country with a huge population compared to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Surprising though seeing as the only work the Germans really do is fruitpicking, and they are pretty much never intending on staying (in over a year here Ive only met one German PR and one illegal. Don think Ive even ever met a German on their 2nd year visa, they are all on an extended backpacker holiday). They dont spend much while they are here but they dont take much money out of the country either. Another masterstroke by the DIAC, keep out a group who mostly only work in areas with labour shortages and take barely any of their meagre earnings out of the country.

Surprising though seeing as the only work the Germans really do is fruitpicking, and they are pretty much never intending on staying (in over a year here Ive only met one German PR and one illegal. Don think Ive even ever met a German on their 2nd year visa, they are all on an extended backpacker holiday). They dont spend much while they are here but they dont take much money out of the country either. Another masterstroke by the DIAC, keep out a group who mostly only work in areas with labour shortages and take barely any of their meagre earnings out of the country.

I definitely disagree with that because there are 2 German guys working with me, both came on WHV about 2 years ago 1 is a now a PR and the other just got sponsored by us on a 457 just before xmas. The 2 of them are only 22 and we are paying them $70k and they seem to spend it alright.

PS. Actually 1 of them is with me now having a good old laugh at this post.... says beats the hell out doing his military service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I definitely disagree with that because there are 2 German guys working with me, both came on WHV about 2 years ago 1 is a now a PR and the other just got sponsored by us on a 457 just before xmas. The 2 of them are only 22 and we are paying them $70k and they seem to spend it alright.

PS. Actually 1 of them is with me now having a good old laugh at this post.... says beats the hell out doing his military service.

Ah now come on. As said in over a year I have met one PR and one illegal. I have never met any others who had the slightest intent of staying. Compare that to the Irish, I only know of five Irish who left in the past year (and two of them scarpered because they were threatened with deportation if they didnt). Of all the nationalities that come here on WHV the Irish and the Chileans seem to be the only ones who treat it as work rather than a holiday. Much like how yanks etc come here on student visas for the experience whereas Indians/ Chinese come here using them as a backdoor to residency.

As for spending most of zee Germans seem to get by on 250 odd a week in Sydney- one box of goon, rent, sip the same free drink in a backpacker bar for two hours before leaving, and a sh1tload of those poxy noodles. Id rather be at home on the dole than live like that!

Ah now come on. As said in over a year I have met one PR and one illegal. I have never met any others who had the slightest intent of staying. Compare that to the Irish, I only know of five Irish who left in the past year (and two of them scarpered because they were threatened with deportation if they didnt).Of all the nationalities that come here on WHV the Irish and the Chileans seem to be the only ones who treat it as more of a work permit scheme than a holiday.

As for spending most of zee Germans seem to get by on 250 odd a week in Sydney- one box of goon, rent, sip the same free drink in a backpacker bar for two hours before leaving, and a sh1tload of those poxy noodles. Id rather be at home on the dole than live like that!

My mate Marius here says that you would be surprised at how many Germans decide to stay here, he said he knows loads of them. They just all living in the sticks places like Wentworthville, Hornsby and Bundeena... not tourist traps like Bondi.

The typical Goon drinking noodle eating backpacker German are the ones who are only interested in a long holiday..... as for my Military service dodging friend here has only to stay away until he is 25 to avoid getting locked up or doing his year... good enough reason I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement