If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32PFL8404 vs Laptop

Options
  • 06-04-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I thought I'd post this in here in case someone knows whats gone wrong :(

About a month ago I used to plug my laptop (Acer 5738) via HDMI into my 8 series Philips. The laptop screen would flicker, a duplicate would appear on the tv and I could then proceed to watch in full glory any of the movies on my hard drive :cool:

Since then, I've had a few updates on the laptop (running Windows 7 by the way) including a graphics card update and at least one, possibly 2 updates for the tv.

Somewhere in between something happened so that when I plugged my laptop in earlier, the first thing wrong was the colour of the tv. I hit 'restore default colours' in the graphics card driver which returned things to fine in terms of colour. However, the resolution being displayed on the tv was now matching the laptop :mad: After numerous attempts (believe me, the last 2 hours and counting!) of every possible angle, I cannot figure out why the resolution is different. The closest I can get to what it originally was is to set the Operating mode at "Extend the display" rather than "Duplicate the display" but this leaves the tv screen showing just the desktop image, no movement or programs etc. What I get is whats in the first pic attached...If I leave it at "duplicate the display" the best resolution setting (where it should be and actually sets the correct setting for the tv) gives me whats in pic 2...any lesser resolution leads back to bad quality images :(

Basically, somethings gone wrong, if I change the settings of the laptop to use the tv as the display to watch a movie, the quality is 50% what it used to be and it involves switching settings in the first place to get there, im stumped :confused:

Any of U guys in the shop be messing around with connecting laptops and come across something like this? Or anyone out there experience something similar and can shed some light on what happened? It was all going so well :rolleyes:

Cheers to anyone who responds :)
    Martin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi McKildare

Sorry to hear you are having probs with getting the PC to work with your 32PFL8404.

So all was good until you wnt and meddled with your laptop eh! (whats the saying i'm trying to think of ....oh yes, something like - if it aint broke, dont fix it.....)

I've passed your problem across to our Philips rep, but I think your best bet is to call 1800 PHILIPS (744 5477)
    This is the general Product Enquires number and they may beable to give you a few pointers.

Just out of interest have you tried using your laptop on another type of TV?
    Does the same thing happen?

Nicola has plugged her Dell and our Shop Toshiba Laptops into into various TV's around the shop (including the 32PFL8404H) and had no worries geting content from either of them onto the TV's.
    Can you test it out on another TV - may be an issue with the new components installed?

None of our PC's in store (or personal machines for that matter) have Windows 7 onboard, hopefully a Windows 7 user can chip in some guidence

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Try just outputting to the tv leaving the laptop screen blank. I think on my laptop it is function key and F5 button toggles between the various modes ie Laptop only, laptop + tv duplicate, latop + tv extended desktop, tv only.

Alternatively when you do the extended desktop, with your video in windowed mode, drag it off to the left or right of the screen on the laptop and it should appear on the tv. Then you hit the maximise button to fill the tv screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭mckildare

Hi McKildare

Sorry to hear you are having probs with getting the PC to work with your 32PFL8404.

So all was good until you wnt and meddled with your laptop eh! (whats the saying i'm trying to think of ....oh yes, something like - if it aint broke, dont fix it.....)

I've passed your problem across to our Philips rep, but I think your best bet is to call 1800 PHILIPS (744 5477)
    This is the general Product Enquires number and they may beable to give you a few pointers.

Just out of interest have you tried using your laptop on another type of TV?
    Does the same thing happen?

Nicola has plugged her Dell and our Shop Toshiba Laptops into into various TV's around the shop (including the 32PFL8404H) and had no worries geting content from either of them onto the TV's.
    Can you test it out on another TV - may be an issue with the new components installed?

None of our PC's in store (or personal machines for that matter) have Windows 7 onboard, hopefully a Windows 7 user can chip in some guidence

Cheers
    Ash

Hey Ash,

Tested out the laptop there on our 9 series downstairs and its the same story so I reckon its something that I downloaded for Windows 7 or the driver that changed :confused:
    Lu Tze wrote: »
    Try just outputting to the tv leaving the laptop screen blank. I think on my laptop it is function key and F5 button toggles between the various modes ie Laptop only, laptop + tv duplicate, latop + tv extended desktop, tv only.

Alternatively when you do the extended desktop, with your video in windowed mode, drag it off to the left or right of the screen on the laptop and it should appear on the tv. Then you hit the maximise button to fill the tv screen.

Hey Lu Tze, thanks for the reply ;)

I tried already outputting to the tv like this and the screen shows up ok but it seems to be slightly off in terms of colour (probably just the tv settings in this case). Its still not a solution to the actual problem though because it means changing from laptop to tv each time whereas previously I had both screens in operation without any problems.
    The alternative also works, a little more involved in doing it but still means that I have one display with a video on it and the other with something different...again, not what I had before.

I'll look more into the drivers that the laptop has and try another laptop to see if its the one I have now. If anything new arises Ill post again!

Cheers
    Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

mckildare wrote: »
    Hey Ash,

Tested out the laptop there on our 9 series downstairs and its the same story so I reckon its something that I downloaded for Windows 7 or the driver that changed :confused:

Hey Lu Tze, thanks for the reply ;)

I tried already outputting to the tv like this and the screen shows up ok but it seems to be slightly off in terms of colour (probably just the tv settings in this case). Its still not a solution to the actual problem though because it means changing from laptop to tv each time whereas previously I had both screens in operation without any problems.
    The alternative also works, a little more involved in doing it but still means that I have one display with a video on it and the other with something different...again, not what I had before.

I'll look more into the drivers that the laptop has and try another laptop to see if its the one I have now. If anything new arises Ill post again!

Cheers
    Martin

This happened me on a philips tv as well (the small desktop in the middle of the tv screen like in your second picture) and it had been fine previously (and with the dektop)

I'll have a play around with it now and see if it is still the same and if i can figure out how to fix it

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.