Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning off Irish prose/poetry

Options
  • 06-04-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I feel like I'm posting nothing but Irish related questions today but anyhoo...

How do *you* memorise stuff for the poetry/prose? There's just so much to learn and I really have no idea how to learn it all off. Not just because there's only 2 months left. Even if there was a year to go I still wouldn't have a clue! It's just there's so much that needs to be learned. Themes/emotions/images/contrasts/characters etc etc etc. I'm not bad at memorising things off by heart by repeatedly writing them down, but when it comes to Irish I am. It just doesn't stick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

My suggestion is to study one poem a week in depth. Then after five weeks of just poetry study the prose for a week in depth. Spend about an hour a day on one thing. I'm sure you'll get it then. Study the characteristics of characters, images and emotions and you'll be grand.

How I learned them was that my teacher made the class learn off paragraphs by heart when we were in fifth year, and if we did not know them or couldn't remember a word we had to write them out several times. Like my teacher is really hardcore when it comes to teaching Irish, and because of that I'm fairly decent at the subject and can speak Irish more fluently.

Advertisement