Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FM transmitter for car

• 06-04-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Where can you buy cheaply a FM transmitter to listen to your mp3 via car radio? Saw a good one for 10pound on amazon.co.uk but they wont ship to here. Any stores in IReland sell them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Halfords have a few, click on the link and have a look around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Was in Halfords the other day and they had two or three different types. I bought one once and my only advice to you is to stay away from FM transmitters for your IPod. Better off with a stereo with an AUX and a lead from MP3 player to stereo.

FM transmitters are horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

FearDark wrote: »
    Was in Halfords the other day and they had two or three different types. I bought one once and my only advice to you is to stay away from FM transmitters for your IPod. Better off with a stereo with an AUX and a lead from MP3 player to stereo.

some of them are crap but ive heard some are good too. NO AUX socket on stereo in my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

FearDark wrote: »

Depends on the fm transmitter and the availability of clear fm bands. I have a belkin tunecast auto fm transmitter to connect my iPhone to my car stereo. It works pretty well although it has to be retuned occasionally.

A direct connection via an aux in port is preferable but that might involve buying a new stereo for the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I bought mine in an O2 store for 40 euro. There are cheaper fm transmitters but they tend to be useless crap (guess who bought a cheap one on eBay :( )

Griffin and Belkin are good makes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I bought one for €7 from willies world of wonder in Blanch (or whatever it's called) and the old adage of "you get what you pay for" was very true.

Had 3 frequencies to choose from, 88.2, 88.4, 88.6 which all get interference in the area's I drive in, and I had to have the transmitter right next to the radio to get any reception at all.

If you don't have the aux possibility, it's worth paying for a half decent transmitter where you can pick your own frequency. I now have a transmitter on my phone and have found 92.4 gives very little interference around Dublin and up the M1 to Louth. Best frequency probably varies depending on where in the country you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Pixmania is an awful site to buy from do a search on boards and you'll see what I mean.

I had a Bellini tunecast and it was rubbish. As soon as I found a clear frequency it sounded like I was listening to music through a tin can.

Stay away.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pixmania is an awful site to buy from do a search on boards and you'll see what I mean.

I had a Bellini tunecast and it was rubbish. As soon as I found a clear frequency it sounded like I was listening to music through a tin can.

Stay away.

Ha? Have bought plenty of Pixmania over the last 4 or 5 years and never an issue.
    If you read the Vodafone biz section here you will find plenty of complaints on there but plenty of people use Vodafone. So bit of a generalization.:rolleyes:

On the FM Transmitter, had a one I bought for 20 euro 2 years ago and it was terrible, but then got one with my iPhone and its very very good. Quality is almost as good as the CD.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have a Griffin iTrip and the sound quality is great. Here is a link to the exact model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

delly wrote: »
    I have a Griffin iTrip and the sound quality is great. Here is a link to the exact model.

The link says: 'Frequencies: 88.1 - 107.9 MHz'

So doesn't include 87.5 - 88.0 or 108.0 where the clearest frequencies tend to be in most of the country!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've an FM transmitter and it's not great. I'm going to get an xcarlink. Not cheap though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Antenna wrote: »
    The link says: 'Frequencies: 88.1 - 107.9 MHz'

So doesn't include 87.5 - 88.0 or 108.0 where the clearest frequencies tend to be in most of the country!
    Well i'm in Dublin and have three frequencies saved around the 100 - 102 MHz which rarely give any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1502822/art/lindy/fm-audio-transmitter.html
    This seems to be a rebadge of the amazon one that got rave reviews. Might buy it as only 20eur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I bought a fm transmitter the other week there useless the sound uality is only ok and you can get interference, like someone else posted i bought an xcarlink for bout 100 euro came in the post today I reckon if you want good sound you pay for what you get.

Advertisement