Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a good deal?

• 06-04-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

a 2006 peugeot 206 1.4 petrol with 53.000km for
    a 2006 skoda octavia 2.0 tdi with 70,000 miles

have to pay 4500 euro for octavia with my own peugeot

is this a good deal?thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A lot depends on the actual cars. Does the Skoda have a full service history?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

Anan1 wrote: »
    A lot depends on the actual cars. Does the Skoda have a full service history?

i assume it does.coming from a dealer.have saw pics of car but havnt gone to see yet.my own has fsh

LIS wrote: »
    i assume it does.coming from a dealer.
    Find out, it makes all the difference. Without FSH, that car has probably been clocked.

Find out, it makes all the difference. Without FSH, that car has probably been clocked.

will re check mail.assuming it does is it good? is clocking still going on,god almighty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

2.0 TDi wasn't a great seller in the Octi here; probably an import so FSH is V. Important.

• Advertisement

2.0 TDi wasn't a great seller in the Octi here; probably an import so FSH is V. Important.

there was nothing about it in mail.will ask tomorrow.why were they not a seller?are the bad car or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Why do you say that?

Why do you say that?
    Well why would a car with 70k kms not have an FSH? Granted it may simply have been abused (as in not serviced), but it's equally likely given the car in question that it did have FSH to 120k miles that fell overboard on the ferry crossing.;)

Well why would a car with 70k kms not have an FSH? Granted it may simply have been abused (as in not serviced), but it's equally likely given the car in question that it did have FSH to 120k miles that fell overboard on the ferry crossing.;)

the octavia has 70,000 miles not km

Which changes my point not a jot.:)

• Advertisement

Which changes my point not a jot.:)

sorry anan1 misread previous post.assuming that the car is ok and has fsh is it a good price.not really sure as i bought my car new and i dont know given the current car market if i am getting too little for my car or paying too much for the skoda

Irish Octavias had KPH clocks from 2005 onwards. The 2.0TDi wasn't a great seller here because of the VRT implications on the end price and the fact that they were factory orders. Almost all sold were 1.9's which were plenty quick and economical for most people.

If it's a UK spec Ambiente, it'll just have A/C but miss the front fogs and armrest that the Irish model gets. I'd say the one you're looking at is likely to be an Elegance spec which gains rear parking sensors, headlamp wash, rain sensor, cruise, 6CD changer and 16 inch alloys over the irish spec. Niiiiiiiice.

But only Niiiiice with FSH and remember the hefty road tax as it's a pre-08 model.

I'm on my 4th Octavia and the boardsie's love 'em!

Irish Octavias had KPH clocks from 2005 onwards. The 2.0TDi wasn't a great seller here because of the VRT implications on the end price and the fact that they were factory orders. Almost all sold were 1.9's which were plenty quick and economical for most people.

If it's a UK spec Ambiente, it'll just have A/C but miss the front fogs and armrest that the Irish model gets. I'd say the one you're looking at is likely to be an Elegance spec which gains rear parking sensors, headlamp wash, rain sensor, cruise, 6CD changer and 16 inch alloys over the irish spec. Niiiiiiiice.

But only Niiiiice with FSH and remember the hefty road tax as it's a pre-08 model.

I'm on my 4th Octavia and the boardsie's love 'em!

spot on" THE EXPRESS" it is a elegance spec with leather seats a/c etc.hefty road tax? how hefty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That proves the car is a UK import. Which makes it much more likely and much less checkable that it was clocked!

I think somewhere around the €630 mark or thereabouts.

A lot of 06/07 Octavias were hard to sell on when the '08 Co2 ratings came in and brought the 1.9TDi down to €156 a year.

A few problems relating to the 2.0 engine (check out briskoda.net for all the advice you'll ever need). Never driven a 2.0 but they put out 140BHP versus the 105 of the 1.9 model - so it'll be a swift machine.

Be very, very careful of whatever you are looking at. These things can do epic mileages and still look very fresh, even with 150,000 on the clock.

If you get any nonsense about 'we'll send you on' the service manual, turn on your heel and walk away.

I think somewhere around the €630 mark or thereabouts.

A lot of 06/07 Octavias were hard to sell on when the '08 Co2 ratings came in and brought the 1.9TDi down to €156 a year.

A few problems relating to the 2.0 engine (check out briskoda.net for all the advice you'll ever need). Never driven a 2.0 but they put out 140BHP versus the 105 of the 1.9 model - so it'll be a swift machine.

Be very, very careful of whatever you are looking at. These things can do epic mileages and still look very fresh, even with 150,000 on the clock.

If you get any nonsense about 'we'll send you on' the service manual, turn on your heel and walk away.

ok will do are you saying that the 06 1.9tdi is only 156 euro a year?is there a way to tell if a car is clocked on site?

No, a 2006 1.9 will be on the old tax system, so 600 and whatever.

Bring a mechanic with you when looking and contact the DVLA with the UK reg number if you really want to be thorough. See who owned it, etc?

Don't make your mind up the first time you view it. It'll probably be still there next week!

There's a good few car sales guys on this forum so I'd wait to see what they have to say about this.

Best of luck.

No, a 2006 1.9 will be on the old tax system, so 600 and whatever.

Bring a mechanic with you when looking and contact the DVLA with the UK reg number if you really want to be thorough. See who owned it, etc?

Don't make your mind up the first time you view it. It'll probably be still there next week!

There's a good few car sales guys on this forum so I'd wait to see what they have to say about this.

Best of luck.

the car has irish plates.going for nct in the morning or so he said

the car has irish plates.going for nct in the morning or so he said
    Find out the UK reg, go to www.hpi.co.uk, ring them and tell them you want a full RAC check - costs about £10. You also need to go through the SH if it has one and ring every garage whose stamp is in the book to find out that what should have been done as per the service schedule actually was done. In the absence of a clear RAC check and a full SH verified by yourself I wouldn't touch it. Finally, you need to have someone look at the car to make sure it's not damaged repaired - not all crashed UK cars make it onto the insurance register. Good luck.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Or do the simple thing..open the BT phonebook, ring the first skoda garage in the uk you find and give the the chassis number. Nine times out of ten they'll be able to give the mileage through the service network computer database.

An acquintance of mine done the same with a VW and ended up going back to the shifty second hand car dealer over here to get his money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

a 2006 peugeot 206 1.4 petrol with 53.000km for
    a 2006 skoda octavia 2.0 tdi with 70,000 miles

have to pay 4500 euro for octavia with my own peugeot

is this a good deal?thanks in advance

Is this not a lot of money to go from a 06 to a 06? I know you are coming up to a different sector but still. I know it is hard to sell cars privately in the current market but you might get a bet deal trying to sell your own and going in with no trade in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Even with double that mileage the Ocker is a more robust car than the Pug and service histories can be falsified to concur with displayed mileage so FSH is not the be all and end all. Buy your car from a reputable dealer and you should be ok.

macjohn wrote: »
    Is this not a lot of money to go from a 06 to a 06? I know you are coming up to a different sector but still. I know it is hard to sell cars privately in the current market but you might get a bet deal trying to sell your own and going in with no trade in.

not esay to shift cars on private sale....guess there is too many of them

i was talking to dealer,the car was ordered in 06 as a new car to be a demo and was never regestered in uk.has irish plates since new.asked about timing belts and he said he would get it done if it hasnt been done already.seems ok to deal with.told me car was just valeted and would be getting full service and check before.also the logbook is there and service history

Advertisement