Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in residential areas in Drogheda

Options
  • 06-04-2010 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Is anyone else sick of people parking their cars at our houses - either in a housing estate or just on a road in the town and then going off to work for the day? I cannot understand this when there are several €2 a day parking areas in the town. Do people just not care who's house they park at, whose driveway they might be blocking and who's oil delivery is being made difficult by leaving their cars at someone elses house? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I hear what you are saying, but at the end of the day unless outside your house has double yellow's or is a pay parking zone or they are parked too close to a junction, then legally they are doing nothing wrong as it's a public road I'm afraid. Why cough up €10 a week when you can park for free? Not saying it's morally right, but given the choice I know which option I'd pick I'm afraid to admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 lmnop

yea - very annoying though - i have a driveway so most of the time people park either side of it but you get the odd one who would park in your driveway if you left the gates open!

Whats the story if someone blocks your driveway - ie blocking your access in and out of house? It has happened on occasions so i usually stick a note on their windscreen politely asking them not to do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

lmnop wrote: »
    yea - very annoying though - i have a driveway so most of the time people park either side of it but you get the odd one who would park in your driveway if you left the gates open!

Whats the story if someone blocks your driveway - ie blocking your access in and out of house? It has happened on occasions so i usually stick a note on their windscreen politely asking them not to do it again.

Blocking a drive way is a different ballgame altogether :mad:

A note is just a waste of time for some inconsiderate lazy muppet who just abandons their car. In that case I'm not sure what you can do, have a feeling calling traffic warden or the gardi would be a waste of time as much as I'd love to see them get a fine.

If it were at all possible I'd love to return the favor and block them in ;) See who they like it. But that would likely just cause more agro for you so best avoid that.

If they were in your driveway though and it was possible for you to close and chain the gates .................. and hide upstairs watching while they rings the hell out of the door bell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

OP where do you notice this issue, is this close to town?

I had noticed someone parking their car in some most unusual places in Wheaton Hall, when the alternate bus arrangements around Malahide / IrishRail cock-up was going on. I haven't seen it since though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

if someone parked in my driveway, id let the air out of two of their tires

not puncture them, but remove the air valve with a valve key.

leave the valves beside the wheels and when the person comes back, tell them you came back from the shop and it was like that. then inform them they are trespassing on private property and ask them to remove the car in 30 minutes or call the gardai

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

My advice ( call it poor if you will ) is to just confront the person the next time it happens and explain to them they are in the wrong and that you'd prefer they wouldnt do it again, and if they do so you'll be forced to take further action.

If your not a confrontational person and shy of such face to face banter then I suppose you'd be better off just calling the police and having it taken away:confused:

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Have to say I'd stake a claim on the car if it was parked on my driveway. Possession is 9/10ths of the law. :)

i've done the notes on the windscreen and parking right up on top of anyone who blocks / partially blocks the driveway- usually dont get repeat offenders. But there's always someone else ready to take their place....

As i said earlier, i'm not affected as bad as those on the street who have a car and just dont have a driveway. I really think its unfair to go to the lenghts of driving into an estate and parking at someones house for the day - to save €2??? You cant assume no driveway means the resident has no car. Its happening in the north side of the town - from the Chord road, all the way up those side streets eg Oulster Lane, Thomas Street etc and across into Pearse Park. And its probably other areas as well.

Now, rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

If you have a driveway on a public road you can ring the council and ask them to add it to their lists for road markings. Then they'll come and put in a yellow box for you. That should stop people blocking access to the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 drogs_1

Do you think that if yellow lines were put down that it would make any difference. Drogheda has to be the worst place for people just ignoring double yellow lines. You only have to look at school times to see that parents don't care that these lines are there for the safety of their children. And also the council have a lot to answer for in forcing the rules of the road when it comes to parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

I didn't say Yellow Lines. I said Yellow Box.
    People generally do pay more attention to those actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

If they actually block access to your drive way, you can call the Garda. My mother done this outside her house in Dublin during the week. I happened that some up the road pake it there in a hurry when the noticed they where out of petrol. When the cops came her husband came done and explained the story. The Garda told her to call them back if it wasn't move by the evening and they would have it moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I live outside the town so I don't have this problem.
    However, I work Sundays and I come down Mary St and turn onto the Dublin road and the blatant disregard by massgoers who park on double yellow lines on Mary St (virtually making it one way) and worse still on the main Dublin road is beyond belief. The Dublin road is virtually left at a standstill so massgoers can park outside St Mary's Church so they don't have to walk so far.
    It annoys me that certain sectors of the community feel "entitled" to disregard the rules of the road. I also agree that the parents who block school gates are just as bad, putting their kids in danger so they don't have to walk a wee bit further.

i've seen that at the church alrite - why are people allowed to do this?!!?! I know there's no car park at the church but that shouldn't mean that as a rule you can park anywhere you like just cos you want to...

Odysseus wrote: »
    If they actually block access to your drive way, you can call the Garda. My mother done this outside her house in Dublin during the week. I happened that some up the road pake it there in a hurry when the noticed they where out of petrol. When the cops came her husband came done and explained the story. The Garda told her to call them back if it wasn't move by the evening and they would have it moved.

This is good to know - watch out all those who attempt to park at my house...Ill get the guards after ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭keithzer

From last week there getting ready to put the meters in oulster lane cord road and thomas street. Its Great news does anyone know how many cars per household as we have 3?

Advertisement