Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch off traffic lights at parade and courthouse

Options
  • 07-04-2010 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

I think this deserves a thread and opinions on it .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

No it doesn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I went into town/city yestesterday and it was horrendous. Not good for stress levels. Tuesday afternoon and it took about 30 mins to get out of town!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah sure this is a fantastic useful thread
    :rolleyes:

Now since you put 0 thought into this idea please tell me how do the cars get out of the market cross carpark if the traffic lights at the courthouse are off?

Didn't think things through did you? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

/
    femur61 wrote: »
    I went into town/city yestesterday and it was horrendous. Not good for stress levels. Tuesday afternoon and it took about 30 mins to get out of town!

If traffic lights were turned off then traffic would not build up at junctions and it would be no problem going through Parade at any junction .Ive seen lights off at Parade twice in last two years and even on Friday evening couldn't believe the Parade no traffic whatsoever all that needs to be put there maybe but i dont think we even need that either is raised speed bump ,Kilkenny city has too many traffic lights as does other towns and cities in country wasting money maintaining them ,draining money from local authority etc etc.
    Isnt it worth a try ? I seen it yesterday walking through John St people are under enough pressure financially at moment ,and trying to keep a job going ,and then they ring their boss to tell them am delayed in Kilkenny city for 1 hour trying to get through town.Also AA Roadwatch had it keep out of Kilkenny City yesterday which is exactly what we want to broadcast to Ireland ,wont do any good for retailers and every other business in Kilkenny and environs eh ?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yeah sure this is a fantastic useful thread

Now since you put 0 thought into this idea please tell me how do the cars get out of the market cross carpark if the traffic lights at the courthouse are off?

Didn't think things through did you? :D

Well actually have been onto council since Rivercourt meeting 2 years ago with regards to one way system and told them then lights will have to be partially switched off or fully in actual fact I have placed a lot of thought into this .In response to Market Cross raised speed bumps slow traffic and take traffic lights out there too ,you cant crash if theres no traffic at junction ,all we need is concerted effort to quit this mentality in Ireland where we feel need to go formula one through any junction ,a bit of care by everyone and it works .One way systems do not work with traffic lights you dont have to be traffic systems engineer to see that ,Its about time we all put foot down because this City will be affected in service industry ,tourist industry and in shops if radical changes do not happen on top of collapse in building trade.Tell me otherwise but it seems utter disaster waiting to happen !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

patrickk wrote: »
    Well actually have been onto council since Rivercourt meeting 2 years ago with regards to one way system and told them then lights will have to be partially switched off or fully in actual fact I have placed a lot of thought into this .In response to Market Cross raised speed bumps slow traffic and take traffic lights out there too ,you cant crash if theres no traffic at junction ,all we need is concerted effort to quit this mentality in Ireland where we feel need to go formula one through any junction ,a bit of care by everyone and it works .One way systems do not work with traffic lights you dont have to be traffic systems engineer to see that ,Its about time we all put foot down because this City will be affected in service industry ,tourist industry and in shops if radical changes do not happen on top of collapse in building trade.Tell me otherwise but it seems utter disaster waiting to happen !

I lost pretty much all interest half way through due to your lack of link breaks and paragraphs.

Anyway, so your resolution is to remove all traffic lights and install speed bumps?, now care to actually put forward a realistic solution that would have a chance in hell of being implemented and wouldn't cause accidents?

I would prefer to hear response from general public to be honest than someone who is Moderator is that too much to ask :D

So as we are onto it what ideas has Moderator got to alleviate traffic situation .I would say none because I have thought about this one way system which has to come in but any way you look at it lights off is only way and accidents will happen because motorists, taking risks going through yellow lights and red lights don't you think.Take the congestion off junction and accidents eliminated its no brainer really.

I would prefer to hear response from general public to be honest than someone who is Moderator is that too much to ask :D

Your very confused it seems, I'm a normal user on this forum
    So as we are onto it what ideas has Moderator got to alleviate traffic situation .I would say none because I have thought about this one way system which has to come in but any way you look at it lights off is only way and accidents will happen because motorists, taking risks going through yellow lights and red lights don't you think.Take the congestion off junction and accidents eliminated its no brainer really.

Again your very confused,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Next you'll be saying people from Callan can't comment on this:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cabaal wrote: »
    Your very confused it seems, I'm a normal user on this forum

Again your very confused,

In fairness you are a mod in the heroes forum and right now, we need a hero! :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

He or she is right they should have a over ride switch where as when the guys closes the gates for the car opark turns a key in a switch where it disables that traffic light.

Its crazy where im waiting ten minutes when this lights are greeen and no cars are in sight.

He or she is right they should have a over ride switch where as when the guys closes the gates for the car opark turns a key in a switch where it disables that traffic light.

Its crazy where im waiting ten minutes when this lights are greeen and no cars are in sight.

Thank you Supra lover ,contrary to popular belief the traffic lights can be switched off ,give traffic wardens something more beneficial to do and give them key to magic box and switch em off in heavy traffic times ,it was nuts again today .I'm telling you all this is going to finish business off in John Street .The traffic was worse between 11am and 13:00 today I walked length of John St faster than all cars so they must have been waiting 20 mins to clear John St.
    Of course you and I know Supra lover know they wont turn off lights that would be the decent thing to do .Tourists cant get to guesthouses either with one way system theyre running running running and would you blame them !

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭nucking futs

Ths is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. And that's not an exaggeration.

its no wonder we have failed one way system with comments like that ,so how is it dumb?,whats your reasoning for utter rejection ? I cant wait to hear this one lol.Its no wonder this country is in such crap condition when people cannot think outside box .As i said before I know they won't be turned off its not in mindset of engineers to do that anyhow nowadays but anyways heres another suggestion .No right turn up Castle Road from Patrick Street only left turn from rose inn street.Solved no need for lights at Parade and Parliament st and shut off feed from Superquinn completely as previous poster mentioned , and only leave new st entrance open .Beat that :eek:

its no wonder we have failed one way system with comments like that ,so how is it dumb?,whats your reasoning for utter rejection ? I cant wait to hear this one lol.Its no wonder this country is in such crap condition when people cannot think outside box .As i said before I know they won't be turned off its not in mindset of engineers to do that anyhow nowadays but anyways heres another suggestion .No right turn up Castle Road from Patrick Street only left turn from rose inn street.Solved no need for lights at Parade and Parliament st and shut off feed from Superquinn completely as previous poster mentioned , and only leave new st entrance open .Beat that :eek:

I can beat it...

Its a pretty dumb thread, the solution to your problem is to get out of your car and walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Why do people keep touting walking as a solution to this disaster when it's blatantly obvious that walking doesn't suit a significant proportion, e.g. Elderly, People with mobile disabilities, People with 5 squaking kids hanging out of them, People who don't like walking in the rain (romantic and all as it is, it's not very practical given our climate), people who have to travel further than reasonable walking distance, people who have stuff to carry, people with a time constraint.....

No, I WON'T walk. This isn't Africa. I am not walking 5 miles to the watering hole with a dusty urn balanced atop my head!

We won the war, dammit!

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Why do people keep touting walking as a solution

Thing is it is a solution for alot of situations, people are so lazy they'll drive from John Street to High Street even though they'd walk it just as quick.
    People who don't like walking in the rain (romantic and all as it is, it's not very practical given our climate)

Anyone who does walk or cycle alot will know that it doesn't rain half as much as people actually appear to believe, sure the ground is wet but that doesn't mean its pouring rain out...often it generally it has just rained during the night.

Spent 8 years cycling to work and rarely did I need "all" my rain gear in order to protect me from the elements, generally speaking I'd just bring a jacket incase there might be the odd drop or because I wanted to keep warm (I tend to wear t-shirts all year round)
    No, I WON'T walk. This isn't Africa. I am not walking 5 miles to the watering hole with a dusty urn balanced atop my head!

We won the war, dammit!

The war to not do any excercise and become overweight?

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    I can beat it...

Its a pretty dumb thread, the solution to your problem is to get out of your car and walk!

explain yourself i didnt say anything about walking !

Why do people keep touting walking as a solution to this disaster when it's blatantly obvious that walking doesn't suit a significant proportion, e.g. Elderly, People with mobile disabilities, People with 5 squaking kids hanging out of them, People who don't like walking in the rain (romantic and all as it is, it's not very practical given our climate), people who have to travel further than reasonable walking distance, people who have stuff to carry, people with a time constraint.....

We won the war, dammit!

this thread is not about walking ,this thread has digressed ?

You wouldn't walk five miles? Its not much, I reckon I cover two, three times that daily.

• Advertisement

explain yourself i didnt say anything about walking !

You asked if anyone can "beat" you solution, and my answer to that is instead of worrying about traffic lights and one way streets why don't you try walking from A to B instead. If you don't need to go through town then go around it, if you need something in town then park the car up and walk in!!

This thread is completely pointless!

Another suggestion for another solution is introduce a Kilkenny Bike scheme like www.dublinbikes.ie, handy if you don't like walking ;)

Or people could just get a bike through the cycle to work scheme and use that, school kids too....can save alot of money using that scheme.

Too many people drive either themselves to work or there kids, I've seen kids driven 400metres to school....400metres! :rolleyes: People that do this should be ashamed of themselves they are doing nobody any favours in the long term.

In relation to Kilkenny City, I've seen people drive from the castle down to high street just to go to a shop...they could have walked for feck sake.

Anyway as said above this thread is bloody pointless

so we're gone from one way system to walking to cycling i rest my case ,another kick in teeth to business people in Kilkenny who need access by traffic
    i rest my case ,this thread is dead

Advertisement