Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling bad

Options
  • 07-04-2010 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

Recently I was offered sort of manager's position in the organisation I work for. Because I'm a foreigner, I can feel (or am I just being a little paranoid?) that some of my work colleagues are not too happy about it - that makes me feel sort of... bad?. 99% of the crew are Irish and I don't think they like some Eastern European to tell them what to do, etc. In fairness there are no remarks or anything but some of the jokes start becoming a pain in the hole. However, for the time being, I am trying to focus on being professional and do my job as good as I can. Is my "perception of unhappiness" I get from some of the people something I should take under consideration, or rather should I follow the current model "It should not be your concern where am I from lad, there is work that has to be done and there is no time for bullsh*t".

Maybe I am overreacting and I shouldn't even think about it simply because it's impossible to please eveyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm an immigrant too, not quite as "foreign" as you, but still not Irish.

You're probably not imaging things.

But you will face this in any country you work in that is not your own. 'Fraid it's something you just have to deal with. The best approach is the one you're taking, ie "it's irrelevant where I'm from, lets get on with the job".

And remember, there are some Irish people too who actually welcome having foreign colleagues: I've had quite a number tell me that they have no problems with their Polish/Nigerian/etc colleagues, but that there are Irish colleagues they could do without!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I say this not knowing the job you are in, but could it just be a general feeling of dispondency/being fed up/pissed off and underpaid rather than actually having something to do you with you personally? If pay cuts or staff cuts have been made and people feel unsecure this often affects their general attitude.

Could also be because you are now one of 'them', not a foreigner but worse....a.....boss! the camaradarie and easy going nature may disappear for a while til they suss what sort of manager you are going to be. If you handle it right then in time they will realise that you are still one of 'them' but just leading the pack rather than in the middle. This could be the reason for the change in attitude rather than your nationality. For now they are pushing it to see how far they can push you, take the piss, but hopefully once you assert your authority in a fair way it will calm down.

I wouldn't fret on it too much, as if you do you may develop a chip on your shoulder about it (even unintentionally) and then it will be a self fulfilling prophecy.

Of course some of them will have an issue with foreigners being promoted over Irish - but idiots like that exist everywhere. They look for things to compare and always feel they are being hard done by by someone, and foreigners are easy targets - its not actually personal, they're just twats. If it wasn't you it'd be someone else.

Do you job and do it well and let that be your only real worry. Obviously your bosses have faith in you and your abilities and in time when you settle in so will your team.

Oh, and well done on the promotion!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

JustMary wrote: »
    But you will face this in any country you work in that is not your own.
    Well, my own is my piece of land and a house I bought here.
    JustMary wrote: »
    And remember, there are some Irish people too who actually welcome having foreign colleagues: I've had quite a number tell me that they have no problems with their Polish/Nigerian/etc colleagues, but that there are Irish colleagues they could do without!
    We always used to have good relation within the team including my colleagues as well as the managers... Maybe I'm getting paranoid.
    I say this not knowing the job you are in,
    IT, financial sector.
    Could also be because you are now one of 'them', not a foreigner but worse....a.....boss!
    I think you hit the nail in the head here.
    For now they are pushing it to see how far they can push you, take the piss, but hopefully once you assert your authority in a fair way it will calm down.
    Believe or not but I was considering it too.

I wouldn't fret on it too much, as if you do you may develop a chip on your shoulder about it (even unintentionally) and then it will be a self fulfilling prophecy.
    Agree.
    Of course some of them will have an issue with foreigners being promoted over Irish - but idiots like that exist everywhere.
    My mother used to say "Stupidity has no nationality"

Oh, and well done on the promotion!:)
    Thanks ;) Even though I was working very hard many years, I have to say that this promotion was one of the biggest positive surprises in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    My mother used to say "Stupidity has no nationality"

I like it! :P

Advertisement