Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking up piano

• 07-04-2010 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hey lads,
    Iv wanted to take up piano for a long time now and i have decided to take the plunge:)

Im just wondering should i start out by getting a keyboard or will i just go all out and get an electric piano?
    Any ones you would recommend?

I was also wondering should i get a teacher or just look stuff up on the net?
    I don't want to do anything to complex or anything, i just want to be able to read a bit of music, mess around with some chords and scales and play along to some songs that i like :)
    If you think i should get a teacher is there anyones that you could recommend?

Cheers,
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Have you any experience with music behind you?

If you can play any other instruments and know some, or are at least open to, music theory, then I think you'll be able to get to a low, but decent, standard of piano without a teacher. You can learn all the very basics online, I'm sure. My friend's a fully trained pianist, she showed me the basics, and I'm sorta guiding myself through piano playing by applying what I know from guitar and theory to the keyboard.

It's the most interesting instrument to play, you learn so much about the music you're playing, compared to guitar at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mark2229

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Have you any experience with music behind you?

If you can play any other instruments and know some, or are at least open to, music theory, then I think you'll be able to get to a low, but decent, standard of piano without a teacher. You can learn all the very basics online, I'm sure. My friend's a fully trained pianist, she showed me the basics, and I'm sorta guiding myself through piano playing by applying what I know from guitar and theory to the keyboard.

It's the most interesting instrument to play, you learn so much about the music you're playing, compared to guitar at least.

Well iv been playing the guitar for around a year and a half and after the easter holidays i will be starting a theory course so i am very open to learning theory :)

I don't have any friends that the play the piano otherwise i would ask them to show me a few things. I do have a friend who has been playing the guitar for around 6-7 years so i picked up a few things from him on the guitar front but unfortunately i don't know any piano players

Piano is a very interesting instrument, You can play anything on it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

Ive been playing piano for years.
    I started on a keyboard and then got a piano a few years later.
    I would advise to get a piano. You will be shown how to really play the piano.

Good luck!

The big difference for me was playing music using a guitar vs. playing guitar music. I used to think of a perfect fifth as first-finger-here-and-third-finger-on-the-next-string-up-two-frets, or a 'power' chord or whatever. Playing piano, I realised it's the fifth degree of the scale, the dominant, the second most important note in the key, etc. Playing piano changed me for the better as a musician :)

Yeah same here. I also play guitar, and knowing piano and knowing the theory behind music makes learning any instrument easy.

:)

• Advertisement

So id be better of actually starting out on a piano?
    But would you advise lessons or searching the internet for the basics?

El pr0n do you mean these type of yolks

---9---
    ---9---
    ---7---

?

Mark2229 wrote: »
    But would you advise lessons or searching the internet for the basics?

El pr0n do you mean these type of yolks

---9---
    ---9---
    ---7---

?

Yeah that's what I mean.

I'd say have a go and see how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Mark2229 wrote: »

I guess it depends on your budget. You can pick up a reasonable Piano for under €500 or quite often for free as many people just want rid.
    Older Pianos can be fine and tuned to themselves but quite often they cannot be brought up to concert pitch so you might be able to get it tuned but it will be a tone down.

I wouldn't rule out the digital Pianos. For under €2000 you'd be getting something pretty tasty but you would want good weighted keys. I personally think the Kawai digital Pianos are fantastic but Yamaha, Roland and others make some pretty good ones starting at around €1000.

The other option is a semi-weighted keyboard which start from around €300.

I certainly agree, from a Guitarists prospective that learning the Piano/Keyboard is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭doctor robert

yes you can do.
    do not waste your time on an acoustic piano.
    you can get a starter dig piano not too ex.
    then you look for a teacher that suits your needs.
    then you practice n its down to you
    problems pm me . advice is tot free . am a pro , but believe me this is 2010 . dig pianos are where its at right now.

Yeah digital pianos are great. But in saying that, it all depends on what your going to be using playing piano for. If its just a hobby, id say pick up a second hand digital one. If you really want to learn piano inside out, a real piano cannot be beaten on sound and feel. Plus the pedals on a piano are much different from a digital one. I recommend if your going to bother learning piano that you get lessons and also go through the exams. Its a trade in itself being able to teach piano, you will have it for life. And you can then teach your kids. Its a lovely gift to pass on. But hey, thats looking way too much into it ha ha :)

Why dont you get a few lessons to learn the basics? Or you could go onto youtube and look at videos on how to read music? Its so much easier when you have somebody beside you, showing you how to do it though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Piano is easily my favourite instrument. Always had a desire to learn it and definally gonna buy me a digital piano over the summer

The day I can finally play this song I will be complete :)

He lads,
    Just to give ya's an update, iv found a teacher that lives close to me and will come down to my house so thats great and hes only charging 20 euro an hour so im fairly pleased with that :D
    Iv been looking at digital pianos on the net and i think id prefer to get a second hand one, just for something to start out on anyways
    If any of you are looking on adverts or gumtree or somewhere like that and see one with 88 keys that looks alright or even a free piano (because sometimes people give em away for free :o) would you be able to let me know, id really appreciate it :D
    R_H_C_P thats a lovely piece, Id love to be able to play like Scott D. Davis, hes on youtube and he arranges loads of rock songs for piano. There brilliant :) or vkgoeswild, if i can ever play like them il be complete :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Taxpayer

You don't have to spend a fortune on a piano these days. Just don't buy generic rubbish. Make sure it has weighted keys.
    I would recommend something like the Casio CPD100. It's around €500
    It got weighted keys, it's touch sensitive, 3 year warranty and it's very popular...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭noelma

If you are REALLY serious, then look at a grand piano.
    The sound from these magnificent instruments is truly amazing!

Ads and links to ads are not allowed here. Post that link again and your access will be revoked - feylya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

second hand roland rd 170s are about 400 euro these days - great board to learn on

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭noelma

Sorry all!!
    Hadn't read the rules on advertising!
    Have posted the ad in adverts.ie
    N.

Advertisement