Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New CPU/MB old HDD will it work

Options
  • 07-04-2010 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi All

I want to change my motherboard/CPU/Ram but use my orignal HDD/Case ect.

Will it be just as simple as change the board/CPU connect it all up and Windows will sync it all up and away it goes.

or have I hours of pain ahead of me.

thanks

T.

reading it makes me think I was a fool to even think windows will work like that but I live in hope

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I did the same thing on my file server and it worked fine. That's running xubuntu though. It should work fine. You may have to install some new drivers though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Depends on what version of Windows you've got. At the very least you're looking at re-registering it as well as sorting out the drivers :o

And if you have an OEM version of Windows Vista or 7 you have to buy a new copy of Windows to go with any mobo change :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I had to do just this when a motherboard failed on me. New motherboard, ram, CPU, PSU surprised win XP booted up and just looked for drivers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

XP is good about that kind of thing. You need to be constantly changing hardware around to make it unhappy and even if you have an OEM version you just phone up the automated registration service and get the OS reactivated in minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

its Windows XP

sure I'll just try it and see

Thanks for the replys

T.

• Advertisement
Advertisement