Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find drug use is more acceptable in gay culture?!

Options
  • 07-04-2010 4:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Do you find drug use is more prevalent/accepted in gay circles? I've noticed when I hang out with friends in gay environments (bars/clubs/house parties) drug use is more commonplace and there is not as much stigma attached to it. I accept there may be as much going on as anywhere else but I don't notice it as much! Thoughts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I've found it to be the same.

"Gay culture" tends to be thought of as a club culture - and drug use would be more commonplace and accepted on the club scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

Unfortunately I have to agree with you both.

There is a huge rise in the common place use of poppers, ket, coke and ecstacy. It is litterly everywhere and its so commonplace.I dont take drugs and I have a big no-no for them but if someone else wants to then that is their business. But there is a phenominal rise everywhere.

I think it has always been there only now its become so proliferated - you even see it with rise in the head shops etc. As for gay-culture being club based, its sad that that is our public demographic but its true. Apparently we all have wicked 24/7 party lives and it is drink and drugs fuelled. For a long time to come, there will be no way to break away from this demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There has been some research on this by belongto and it found
    The report indicates significant levels of drug use that are higher than amongst the general youth population

http://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/6202/1/3318-3512.pdf

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

all i can share is a quote from one night at the dragon that i overheard

'what? who has weed? I'll make out with someone for weed!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Met, I found young people do a lot of drugs full stop. College was an eye opener as I'd seldom encountered recreational drug use before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Not really, I think drug use is just huge in general. I'm one of the only people out of my group of friends who doesn't do drugs and none of my friends are gay) but maybe its just the circle I travel in.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Do you find drug use is more prevalent/accepted in gay circles? I've noticed when I hang out with friends in gay environments (bars/clubs/house parties) drug use is more commonplace and there is not as much stigma attached to it. I accept there may be as much going on as anywhere else but I don't notice it as much! Thoughts...

Hi there,
    I have to agree with you, I am a straight female, and I have a gay male friend who I go out with a lot, and I have noticed when I go to the gay clubs, there does seem to be a lot of drug use, and some of these guys are not that young. My friends partner, went off for a while in a club last weekend, and came back "loving" everyone, and most of the time he is moody and fights with my friend....so I knew straight away he was on something...And my friend said it was normal enough...

I just laughed, thats something I witnessed as a teenager, but was surprised how much it still existed now....

Think you are right OP..

Advertisement