Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in Darwin- too good to be true?

Options
  • 07-04-2010 6:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Out on the lash a few weeks ago ran into a lad who claimed he heard on the grapevine of massive rates available for working in the fishing trade in/ near Darwin (specifically, cleaning out oyster shells). Claimed it was apparently easy (if smelly) work that could pull in $1500 a week. Seems too good to be true, anyone have any experience of this? Wouldnt want to live in the far north for long but would gladly do six weeks of this to pile up some dosh.

This is the best I can find

http://www.jobaroo.com/job-pearling.html

A grand for ten continous days is a bit sh1te, though I suppose the lack of paying for rent and food sort of makes up for it. Anyone have any experience of this? Regularity of shifts, actual chance of making decent coin? Opportunity for overtime? (Id work dawn til dusk for 1500 for a month- 6 weeks if I could) In some ways it smells as fishy (grabs coat :pac:) as the promised low cost of living fortune fruitpicking is meant to bring.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Claimed it was apparently easy (if smelly) work that could pull in $1500 a week.

did he try to sell you some magic beans after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Wages in Darwin are higher than rest of country but cost of living is dearer as well. I found its easier to get decent work on the ground is Darwin ie talking to people in pubs etc. The people are a nicer bread up there and will have no problem chatting to you and putting you in the direction of work. Only a small percentage of backpackers make darwin and even fewer look for work! Really word of mouth seems to be the best way to get a job in construction etc up there! Hope that helps!

Advertisement