Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensation not allowed?

Options
  • 07-04-2010 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

I've been going through the criteria for compensation and it says that in some modules compensation isn't allowed, I can't seem to find a list or any indication of any modules like this so does anyone know of any ? or will i have to email the program office?

The ones I'm worried about are French Language 1B, Gen Purpose Spanish 1, Perspectives on Film 1 and Literary Genre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I presume any module that is 'core' would not be eligible for compensation. Not sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I presume any module that is 'core' would not be eligible for compensation. Not sure though

Well french is core, so i'll have to pass that, but the film module is also core but I'm not carrying it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Nah, I compensated a core module once.
    Maybe core modules that have core follow ups, in subsequent years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

You presume wrong, and presumptions don't help anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

From
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/asug/compensation/asugtitle,39461,en.html

Compensation
    Will there be modules where a pass by compensation cannot be awarded?

Yes.

Dissertation, thesis and research modules valued at 15 credits or greater will not be passable by compensation. (5.9.5)

Also, some modules may be designated as not passable by compensation, upon recommendation of the Programme Board and subject to the approval of the relevant University Programme Board, where there are sound educational reasons or verified accreditation requirements. (5.9.3) These modules are often referred to as ‘must pass modules’.

Where a module is approved as not passable by compensation, the student will have to obtain an overall grade of D- or higher to pass that module.

Check out the module descriptor in SIS under 'what happens if I fail' to see if a module is must pass

• Advertisement
Advertisement