Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone doing this [KARE Tour De Foothills] on Sunday

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bequick

Hi all,
    I managed to complete my first 100k at the TDF today. I really enjoyed my self despite struggling to keep up at some of the hills. I wore my Boards jersey and was amazed at the number of people who came up to me to introduce themselves and ask me my name. Thanks Dr.Grove and Awful who kept me company along the way. I would like to thank the various contributors on this website who have given advise and encouragement to people like me to to go out and take part in sportives.

I am already looking forward to taking part in the next one but I must get more practice hill climbing first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

poolboy wrote: »
    Okay must learn how to do that. made for nasty surprise today

You can download the elevation data from mapmyride and open in an excel file - usually has about 2500 data points which isn't too bad over a 100k spin - it's also much easier to compare rides like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

Great day all round. Great organisation and route. Well done Naas CC. I reckon their twin peaks in july looks good if they can swing weather like that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Today's elevation - blown up. It was NOT as flat as MMR had us believe!

110491.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

First Sportive and if they are all like that I'll deffo be coming back for more - couldnt believe all you get for 25 euros , sambos , massage, tshirt and to top it off a chicken curry...amazing

Class weather , was a bit aprehensive at the start not having done 100kms or entered anything like that before but once we got moving seemed to remember the tips and tricks mentioned..

Met the Mad hatters so was good to have a chat for a bit then got involved with a few lads.

After 55kms got in with a group and we absolutly smashed it back , started it out with 6 lads and ended up 3 of us. Not having rode with anyone else before its some buzz getting those kinds of speed

Ended up finishing in 3:20 on the button

Not sure heart rate havent plugged the gizmo in yet but had plenty left in the tank for a good walk on the beach after

Great day amazing organisation and lovely tan marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Well done Dario. looks like the bug has well and truly bitten you and a fairly decent time to boot.

dario28 wrote: »
    First Sportive and if they are all like that I'll deffo be coming back for more - couldnt believe all you get for 25 euros , sambos , massage, tshirt and to top it off a chicken curry...amazing

Class weather , was a bit aprehensive at the start not having done 100kms or entered anything like that before but once we got moving seemed to remember the tips and tricks mentioned..

Met the Mad hatters so was good to have a chat for a bit then got involved with a few lads.

After 55kms got in with a group and we absolutly smashed it back , started it out with 6 lads and ended up 3 of us. Not having rode with anyone else before its some buzz getting those kinds of speed

Not sure heart rate havent plugged the gizmo in yet but had plenty left in the tank for a good walk on the beach after

Great day amazing organisation and lovely tan marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Cracking day for a cycle yesterday and a very well run event - hats off to the organisers. Nice to put some more faces to usernames, hope you all enjoyed it. Mrs MadH
    atter and myself rolled in around the 3h 50m mark - not sure of exact time as I was a little late starting the clock - avg of 26.6km/h. The bunch splintered early on due to the hilly roads around Blessington, so we ended up doing much of the ride by ourselves, no groups to hide in unfortunately!

Only gripe I'd have is the last 10km or so on the "bypass" of Naas around to Oberstown. It was very exposed (headwind yesterday), dusty, fast traffic etc and generally not very pleasant. Got the impression it was tacked on at the end just to reach the 100km mark. Maybe the organisers might try to find an extra 10km elsewhere on the route next year and skip this bit at the end. Still, a very enjoyable spin and definetly one for the calendar next year.

@dario28 - well done, a good time over that bumpy course. Re value for money, I agree there was a a lot for the entry fee yesterday. The Tour of Kildare (also run by Naas CC) is similar. Unfortunately not every sportive is quite so good...check out the Wicklow 200 thread for plently of moaning (me included) on that topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Well Done Awful...really cheesed off that i didn't get to do this one. Won't get to do the Mt Leinster Challenge either. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Great day altogether - fingers crossed the weather stays like this!

I've put my own report on my blog @ http://blog.fitzcycles.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

You must have been the group that past us as we stopped to fix my headset. Damn roads caused the top screw to come loose.
    I hammered it for the last 20km and didn't catch you :(

The guys in the very front group rolled straight through the food stop. I was the only one out of it that stopped I think, maybe one other who came back. Wonder what time they finished in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Ryaner wrote: »
    You must have been the group that past us as we stopped to fix my headset. Damn roads caused the top screw to come loose.
    I hammered it for the last 20km and didn't catch you :(

The guys in the very front group rolled straight through the food stop. I was the only one out of it that stopped I think, maybe one other who came back. Wonder what time they finished in?

My bike took a beating alright , making some weird creaking sounds today...not sure what to check

This could be good http://www.m3cycle.ie/about_event.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

My bike took a beating alright , making some weird creaking sounds today...not sure what to check

This could be good http://www.m3cycle.ie/about_event.asp

that has hammerfest written all over it. Just raging I cant do it. If you wann do this Dario make sure your big ring says 53 on it (dont worry about the little ring you wont need it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

bcmf wrote: »
    that has hammerfest written all over it. Just raging I cant do it. If you wann do this Dario make sure your big ring says 53 on it (dont worry about the little ring you wont need it)

It depends on how much they restrain the pace. I can see it being restricted for the first 50km to stop a pile up at the turn point. If they let it go all out, there could be some silly speeds. Actually that wouldn't be fun, I've only a compact :(

It does look to be the option on the day as the Mt Leinster challenge it a bit too far away what with a 70km commute down.

Advertisement