Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo: The Story of El Fenomeno

• 07-04-2010 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

From my new blog, I decided I'd do a write up on my favourite player of all time and childhood hero. It's a loooong read, so no bitching! ;)

16atc7k.jpg

Look at the above picture. If you’ve seen it before, then you know exactly what direction this article is heading in. In what is one of football’s most famous clips, you would be forgiven for assuming the above manager has just witnessed his team concede a goal or a penalty, or even missing an absolute sitter.

Look closer. The manager in the above sequence is none other than Sir Bobby Robson, one of football’s most charismatic managers, and one of English football’s most adored sons. What appears to be utter shock and disbelief is just that – but not at a poor performance or some costly misfortune. It is in fact the sheer amazement of a man lost for words at the brilliance he has just witnessed, for Ronaldo Luis Nazário De Lima has just scored one of the greatest goals of all time.

I was lucky enough to play for England with Billy Wright, Johnny Haynes and Bobby Charlton until I was left out for some bloke called Bobby Moore. And what a privilege it was to be the manager of such great players as Terry Butcher, Bryan Robson, Paul Gascoigne, Romario, Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer. I had Ruud van Nistelrooy and Luis Figo in my teams as teenagers, pitted my wits against Cloughie and Fergie, and was cheated by Diego Maradona….. The best player I ever worked with? Tough competition, but it has to be Brazil’s Ronaldo.” - Sir Bobby Robson, 2007

Ronaldo_Brazil.jpg

With journalists and fans alike currently struggling to find superlatives to throw at Lionel Messi, most of the amazement comes through the fact that the young Argentine is still only 22 years of age, as if what he has accomplished has never before come at such a tender age. Now consider the fact that at 21, Ronaldo was already the proud owner of not one, but two FIFA World Player of the Year awards, a Ballon D’or, a World Cup winners medal and World Cup Golden Ball.

Ronald’s phenomenal rise to the very top of world football began on the streets of Bento Ribeiro, a suburb of Rio De Janeiro. Spotted by Brazilian legend Jairzinho, who was at the time coaching São Cristóvão, Ronaldo was given the chance to showcase his revolutionary street skills on the field. Upon witnessing his potential, Jairzino recommended the then 16 year old to his former club Cruzeiro. In his debut season with the Campeonato Brasileir0 side, Ronaldo couped an astonishing 44 goals in as many games, wowing pundits and fans alike with blistering acceleration, powerful body balance and a close control and technique not seen since the great Pelé broke through at the very same age in 1958.

In Brazil every kid starts playing street football very early. It’s in our blood. Every time I went away I was deceiving my mum. I’d tell her I was going to school but I’d be out on the street playing football. I always had a ball on my feet.” - Ronaldo

_Ronaldo9.jpg
    At 17 years old with Cruzeiro

Soon enough, word of Ronaldo’s great talent spread to European shores thanks to his inclusion in Brazil’s 1994 World Cup winning squad, and he was eventually scouted by the great Piet De Visser, regaded as one of the then best scouts in football having previously unearthed Ronaldo’s compatriot Romário. Like Romário, De Visser – now personal advisor to Chelsea’s Roman Abramovich – brought Ronaldo to Dutch side PSV Eindhoven, where he would continue his meteoric rise to stardom with a return of 57 goals in just 54 games. His impressive debut season on European soil was rewarded with an international call up to Brazil’s 1996 Olympics squad.

Mention the name “Ronaldinho” these days, and people will think of the current Milan forward and ex-Barcelona superstar. But back in 1996, “Ronaldinho”, or “Little Ronaldo”, was the nickname of PSV’s very own superstar, for Brazil already had within their ranks towering central defender Ronaldo Guiaro. The then Ronaldinho helped Brazil to a bronze medal at the Olympics, further promoting himself to Europe’s elite clubs while doing so.

2sayn4p.png
    With PSV (left) and at the 1996 Olympics with Brazil (right)

It wasn’t long before one of these clubs made a move, and in the autumn of 1996, Ronaldo made his move from Holland to Spain, where he would call Barcelona his new home – following in the footsteps of some of football’s all time greats such as Johan Cruyff, Diego Maradona, Michael Laudrup, Ronald Koeman and Romário. It was during this time that Sir Bobby Robson worked with Ronaldo as Barcelona manager, leading the club to UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup and Copa del Rey glory.

Another phenomenal return of 47 goals in 49 games elevated the Brazilian to the throne of FIFA World Player of the Year, becoming the youngest player to ever receive the award in it’s history. At 20 years old, Ronaldo was displaying a standard of finishing the world had never seen before. It was beginning to be taken for granted that, should the striker receive the ball anywhere within 20-30 yards of the goal, the keeper would be tested, with Ronaldo usually coming out on top. It was on October 12th, 1996 in a Spanish League encounter with Compostela that Sir Bobby Robson was left dumbfounded at the ability of Barcelona’s number 9.

I love to score goals after passing all the defenders as well as the keeper. This is not my speciality, but my habit.” - Ronaldo

article-0-05E9E394000005DC-107_468x310.jpg
    Cup Winner’s Cup glory with Sir Bobby Robson at Barcelona

Money was beginning to talk in football, and in 1998, Barcelona accepted a then world record bid of £18 million from Inter Milan for Ronaldo. Never one to back down from a challenge, Ronaldo made the move to the Italian giants. His debut season was typical of what the world had come to expect from it’s star player – 34 more goals followed, and more records were broken as Ronaldo became the first player to ever win back to back FIFA World Player of the Year awards, while also scooping the prestigious Ballon D’or.

Ronaldo travelled to France for the 1998 World Cup as the most exciting footballer the world had seen for decades. Guiding his team to a final showdown with the hosts, he had already bagged 4 goals and 3 assists. It was surely written among the stars that Ronaldo would crown an incredible year in his lift with the ultimate prize in football, and go down as the greatest player of all time. But nobody could guess what happened next.

We lost the World Cup but I won another cup – my life” - Ronaldo (about the 1998 World Cup Final)

On the 12th July 1998, the day of the World Cup Final, Brazil and France submitted their team sheets 72 minutes before kick-off. Upon receiving the team sheets. Referee Said Belqola – the first African man to ever officiate a World Cup Final – was aware of one noticeable absentee from the Brazil side. Ronaldo was not in the squad. Something strange was clearly happening in the Brazil dressing room, as the team failed to take to the field for the customary pre-match warm up, while football association officials scurried throughout the stadium. Belgola, bemused at Ronaldo’s exclusion, sent his assistant down to the Brazil camp to confirm the official team selection. When he returned, Ronaldo’s name had reappeared, and all seemed right in the world of football. But it clearly wasn’t.

_44427488_ronaldo_98_final.jpg
    Hanging his head in disappointment – France 1998

Ronaldo performed like a shadow of the player who had plundered his way to more than 80 goals and countless awards in the previous two years. Zinedine Zidane guided France to a comfortable 3-0 victory. The Brazilian PR machine was in overdrive, with the initial cover story being that Ronaldo had been carrying an ankle injury. These reports soon made way to new stories that the striker had been suffering from an upset stomach. More excuses were unfolded, ranging from food poisoning to personal problems in his love life. Eventually, the devestating truth was revealed by Brazilian team doctor Lidio Toledo: Ronaldo had been rushed to hospital after suffering a convulsion in his sleep the night before the final.

I don’t remember what happened but I went to sleep and, like the doctor said, it seems I had a fit for about 30 or 40 seconds.” - Ronaldo

Things would go from bad to worse for Ronaldo, who had seemed to be recovering from his World Cup scare at the start of the 1999/2000 season with Inter. 14 goals in 19 games pointed to the striker being back to his best. But on November 21st 1999, tragedy struck Ronaldo again, as he ruptured a tendon in his knee during Inter’s Serie A clash with Lecce. A devestating injury, it would have a particularly huge effect on a player such as Ronaldo who was known for his frightening pace and acceleration. After surgery and 5 months of rehabilitation, the Brazilian made his return in the Coppa Italia final against Lazio, but any hope of a fairytale comeback were shattered after he suffered a second, more serious injury to the same knee after just 7 minutes on the field.

_44427855_ronaldo_injury_inter.jpg
    After rupturing his knee ligaments for the second time

He would not play again until the end of 2001/2002, grabbing 7 goals in 16 games for Inter and doing enough to persuade Brazil manager Luiz Felipe Scolari to include him in his squad for the 2002 World Cup in Japan/Korea. Having redeveloped his game to replace his reliance on speed and agility, Ronaldo was a different player post-injury. Now relying on strength, an improved eye for goal and a genius only acquired through experience, he unveiled his new style of play to devastating effect – guiding Brazil to the final once again and a showdown with Germany. All the pre-match talk focused on Ronaldo overcoming his demons from 1998 – and overcome them he did. He grabbed both Brazil’s goals on his way to a second World Cup winner’s medal, finishing as the tournament’s top scorer with 8 goals.

His performance’s earned him another world record transfer fee, this time €39 million, as Real Madrid added him to their ever growing line-up of Galacticos. Despite being sidelined until midway through October, Real Madrid’s fans welcomed Ronaldo with a heroes reception – chanting his name in matches he did not even attend and breaking records for merchandise sales. Doing what he had always done best, Ronaldo thanked the fans with 2 goals on his debut. He would go on to contribute 30 goals on the way to winning La Liga with Madrid. Despite a succession of injuries, Ronaldo would go on to score 104 goals in 184 games for Madrid over the course of 5 years at the club, including a stunning hat trick away to Manchester United which earned him a standing ovation from the Old Trafford faithful.

pic492.jpg
    Business as usual at Real Madrid

Ronaldo was again selected for Brazil’s 2006 World Cup squad, and despite not being the stand-out star in the team this time round, was still the talk of the media as he sought to break Gerd Muller’s record of 14 career goals in the World Cup. He achieved just this, with a trademark goal against Ghana on June 27th, grabbing his 15th goal in a World Cup finals tournament. Brazil would go on to be eliminated by France in the quarter finals.

bra-gha-ronaldo-joies-hugs06-g.jpg
    Brazil's galacticos swarm round as Ronaldo breaks Muller's World Cup record

Ronado fell out of favour with Madrid manager Fabio Capello in 2006, and following the signing of Ruud Van Nistelrooy from Manchester United, his days at the Bernabeu were numbered. On January 27th 2007, Ronaldo signed for AC Milan in a deal worth €7.5 million. In typical fashion, he would score 2 goals on his first start for the club against Livorno. At Milan, he set an unusual record as the only player to ever score for both teams in the Milan derby, having previously scored in the fixture for Inter in 1998/1999. Having kept up his incredibly scoring record that had followed him throughout his career, Ronaldo added a further 8 goals in 20 appearances at the San Siro, but tragedy would soon strike once again.

On February 13th 2008, in a league match against Livorno once again, Ronaldo was stretchered off the field after suffering a ruptured kneecap ligament following an innocuous attempt to win the ball. It was the third time Ronaldo had suffered such an injury, and not even the famous Milan Fitness Lab held much hope of him ever recovering – Milan did not renew his contract at the end of the season.

My life has always been a series of challenges and I’m psychologically prepared, but this is the biggest challenge of my life.” – Ronaldo

_44427494_stretcher.jpg
    After rupturing his knee ligaments for the 3rd time.

Out of action for over a year, Ronaldo vowed to prove everyone wrong and return from his third career-threatening injury. A return to his homeland saw the superstar sign for Corinthians, where he received a heroes welcome upon his unveiling. Despite being sidelines for 13 months, Ronaldo helped himself to 27 goals in 50 appearances, helping his team to a league and cup double on the way, with renewed calls for him to be restored to the Brazil squad once again for the 2010 World Cup.

ronaldo_corinthians1.jpg?w=450&h=340
    Ronaldo being unveiled as a Corinthians player

Having recently announced his intention to hang up those famous Nike boots after the 2011 season, Ronaldo can look back on a turbulent career full of goals, trophies, awards and accolades. But the more you hear from the man himself, the more you get the feeling that these are not important to him. Having been written off prematurely three times already in his career, you suspect he takes pleasure in proving his doubters wrong. Silly accusations of being “passed it” and “too overweight” have followed him around for years, but when you consider that in Ronaldo, we have a player who has been forced to completely redevelop his game three times having been injured for a cumulative total of more than 36 months, would we really be surprised should the comeback king do it once more? Would we begrudge him the duty of representing his country one more time, reaching that magical 100 appearances mark? Not at all, because for everything Ronaldo has achieved throughout his career, he has achieved it all by his own merit.

It’s been said that for all a player’s hard work and desire, history only remembers the statistics. If that’s the case, history will certainly remember Ronaldo, for as much as I hate to end an article in statistics, 412 goals in 601 appearances says more than any superlative I could pluck from the dictionary. And here’s a tip – he ain’t finished yet.

I will celebrate, but I know new goals and objectives will come and I am ready to take them.” - Ronaldo

brazil-ronaldo-world-cup.jpg

Click here to see our 25 minute tribute video for Ronaldo: The Story of El Fenomeno

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Great read, good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

tl:dr

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Xavi6 wrote: »
    tl:dr

:p

Argh, I hate that fúcking phrase, more than any other netspeak! Damn you Xavier! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Possibly the best post i've ever read on Boards.

What a player the man was. Should be remembered as an all time great, but could've been remembered as THE all time great IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Great read, good tribute to the great man.

Absolute beast of a striker and will go down as one of the best ever IMO and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭wardie101

Good read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

One of my favourite ever players

The man was a beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Great work Archimedes.

The best player I have ever seen play the game, it's just a shame he lost so much of his career to injuries.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Awesome. Although i hear Dave! has an even bigger berba blog in the pipeline...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Good read ty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Great read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Brilliant article. It is amazing what you can forget about a player. He really was amazing. Now to check odds on pp of him scoring in world cup :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

As regards "El Fenomeno" it should be more likely be o fenômeno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Very good read. Good job Archimedes.

One of my all time favourites too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

You think thats good ? I have the story of Clinton Morrison in the works. Watch this space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Tusky wrote: »
    You think thats good ? I have the story of Clinton Morrison in the works. Watch this space.

Have you completed your story? Surely it couldnt have taken more then 5 minutes :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Does Ronaldo have a realistic chance of getting into this Brazil squad for the WC? I haven't been monitoring his career recently (I'll read the full article when I get time) but I'd love to see him again in the yellow jersey this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Fizman wrote: »
    Does Ronaldo have a realistic chance of getting into this Brazil squad for the WC? I haven't been monitoring his career recently (I'll read the full article when I get time) but I'd love to see him again in the yellow jersey this summer.

Yikes, that'd be his 5th World Cup, has anyone achieved this before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Yikes, that'd be his 5th World Cup, has anyone achieved this before?

Antonio Carbajal (Mexico, 1950, 1954, 1958, 1962 & 1966) and Lothar Matthäus (Germany, 1982 1986, 1990, 1994 & 1998). Thank you Wikipedia, I always thought Matthaus was the only one.

Were Ronaldo to make it, and Brazil go all the way, he would join Pelé on 3 winners' medals. No one else has done this.

Great post Arch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Good piece, well written!

It made me long for the days of Ronaldo, Batistuta & Football Italia on Channel 4 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

You're a skilled writer. Nice article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Interesting read, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nicely done Archimedes.

There is something about that picture where he ruptures his ligaments for a second time. The sheer pain etched on his face gives me the shivers every time.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Brilliant, Cheers for posting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fizman wrote: »

Nope Dunga said the squad that played vs Ireland is he squad for WC barring injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Love it! Thanks, that was great reading...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

The one pic this thread is missing

n21q3m.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

its on the 'to read' list, looks go tho, well done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Possibly the best post i've ever read on Boards.

What a player the man was. Should be remembered as an all time great, but could've been remembered as THE all time great IMHO.

He'll be remembered as one of the players of the 90's-00's, but Zidane merits that kind of recognition more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I remember reading a quote from Cannavaro saying that he hated playing against Ronaldo as there was nothing he could do to stop him.

High praise indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Ronaldo is a legend. One of the main reasons that I am an Inter fan today.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

He'll be remembered as one of the players of the 90's-00's, but Zidane merits that kind of recognition more.

No way. Zidane capitalised on all his talent. Ronaldo lost some of his best years to injury and indiscipline regarding his weight. Could have rivalled Pelé had he stayed fit and focussed.

Remember reading an article about himself and Ariel Ortega before the 94 worldcup comparing them to pele and maradonna. Think he had a better record than pele at the same point in his career. An all-time great even with all the obstacles he faced but could have achieved even more had his body not failed him so often.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Excellent article. Makes me actually want to read your blog, which is a very rare thing.

Advertisement