Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side effects from coming of citalopram??

Options
  • 07-04-2010 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Anybody who has came off Citalopram please tell me how long these horific side effects lasted for?

I was diagnoised with Post Natal Depression Aug. 09 after the birth of my second child (I didn't feel depressed just a LOT of anxiety).

When taking them I did have quite a few side effects, dry mouth (did subside after a couple of months) breasts leaked (sorry if TMI) and I did'nt even breast feed- this lasted up until recently when I started reducing the medication. The positive was that it did ease my anxiety but it also numbed all other emotions also TOTAL loss of sex drive (again sorry if TMI).

All in all, I wish I had never taken the things if I had have known I would feel this bad coming off them. I have terrible headaches, deja vu feelings (here but not here feeling) and so so irritable and I feel like I am having a break down or a psychotic episode, like I'm loosing it.

Please somebody tell me is this normal and will it pass or do I need to go back to my Doctor? If I do go back I will not take any psychiatric medication ever again, I feel worse than I did before I starting them!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

OP, the best thing you can do is go to your doctor - they know you and your history. The worst that can happen is they tell you you just have to put up with it, but they'll be able to tell you how long for. Best case they'll be able to give you some advice that'll lessen the effects.

I'll leave the thread open, but request posters to stick to personal experiences only, as usual. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 never again

Sorry, I don't post a lot.

I did mean from people's own experience of citalopram, how did they find the withdrawl/ side efects?

Also, I am leaving going back to my Doc as a last resort as money is very tight and I can't afford the 50Euros just like that.

I am hoping that someone who has had the same or simular side effects could reassure me.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Sorry, I don't post a lot.

no probs, hopefully someone can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giggles1982

Ive been on these in the past , I cant remember what dosage sorry. I do rememember initially feeling very nauseous , loss of appetite ( no harm lol ) & the dry mouth, but it all settled within a fortnight or so .

I stopped taking them a few months later when i felt better , I had no ill-effects coming off them though. It sounds like you need to return to your GP with this one I'm afraid. Some anti-D's just dont agree with some people, you could try another one & feel great . eg I was on seroxat once & had a ferociously dry mouth and severe muscle spasms, got changed to another & was fine .

Also , i have a family member on them (cipramil) 10 years (?!) , if he misses a day or 2 he gets terribly nauseous & dizzy . Everybody reacts differently !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 joker1

I was on these for 2.5 years and came off them last June. I weaned myself off them slow enough and the only side effect I had was the electric shock feelings.

Maybe you came off them too quick. Best thing would be to ring and see can you speak to your GP. He should be able to tell you over the phone if what you are feeling is normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 never again

I just thought I would update incase it might benefit anyone in the future, it's now 2 & 1/2 weeks since I last took any Citalopram and while at times I am still feeling irritable, the side effects have pretty much gone now. Just the odd electric shock in head feeling (once-twice a day).

So there is light!!
    Hang on in there anyone who is going through it, it is tough for some but you will come out the good side of it.

Thanks to all who replied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Can I say - did you stop the drugs of your own accord or according to your GP's instructions ?

The point being that for some anti-depressants maybe its better to be weaned off slowly as per the doc's instructions. So I think for this reason and also that if there are side-effects your doc can help manage the side effects that its maybe advisable to do it under guidance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Advertisement