Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warranty on 2nd hand cars?

• 07-04-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi Guys,

Wonder if anyone can help? I'm thinking of buying a 07/08 car, haven't decided which car yet but i want a fairly new one. I currently drive a 01 Golf and have put almost €2000 into it in the last year in repairs and am fed up putting money into it at this stage. :mad:

My question is, is it the norm for dealers to give you a warranty with a second hand car? I know with brand new cars they give you something with a 2yr warranty but would you get anything like this with a second hand car?

Also, can anyone tell me what an average yearly mileage would be considered quite low? Just so i can judge how good/bad the mileage is for the year of car (coz currently i have no idea?!)

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Boardwatcher

Yes it is the norm for dealers to give a warranty. It really depends on the age of the car, like when i bought a 6 year old car in 2008, all i got was a 3 month warranty(but then i had haggled the guy down to the last). But with a 07-08 car, you should be getting more in the way of 6 months to one year. With some 08 cars, there may still be part of the manufacturers warranty remaining eg. Ford Focus from 08 had a 3 year warranty so if you bought an 08 now, you would have a years warranty remaining.

Average yearly mileage varies depending where you live. City based drivers tend to do less mileage than country ones. I would say for a petrol car around 12k miles a year would be average. So an 07 petrol car with around 35k miles on the clock seems reasonable to me. I would not know the equivLENT for diesel as i have only had petrol cars.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

It sounds like you are considering buying a particular car - do you want to share the details and ask advice on any concerns you might have? If it's a high mileage car with little or no warranty then posting a link might help people advise you.

Advertisement