Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpackers insurance

Options
  • 07-04-2010 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I am going to Melbourne on a one year working holiday visa in June and am looking for some advice as to the the best value insurance to take out. I've looked at a few (Blue insurance, getcover.ie, justcover.ie, AA Travel insurance etc...) and quotes can vary from 200-400 ish so I want to keep shopping around and get the best value. I currently have health insurance with Aviva but they don't do backpackers insurance for a year.

Can anyone offer any advice or recommendations??? I'm going to Oz for starters, but may get worldwide insurance rather than a policy that just covers Oz/NZ, in case I travel further afield.

Thanks in advance of any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Hi Op, i did a fair bit of comparison when getting my insurance organised, june last yr so dunno wiill prices have changed but got a years cover for $133 on getcover.com - not the same as .ie ; see below

Policy Type
    Backpacker / Longstay
    Destination
    Australia & New Zealand
    Period of Insurance
    From 09/06/2009 (Departure/Commencement) To 09/06/2010
    Duration 366 Days
    Issue Date 05/06/2009
    Premium
    €133.29 (including 3% Government Levy)
    Cover Details

Winter Sports Options No
    Personal Possessions Covered
    Hazardous Categories Category 1
    Repeat Exam Cover No
    Connecting Flight Cover No
    Personal Accident Up to €38,000 benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Book mine yesterday on this site

http://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/

Is €145 for round the world(ex US/CAnda), but is €130 if your traveling to just OZ/NZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ajdon

Just saw this and wanted to say two pals went on whv recently (also gone for PR as well) and got insurance with backpackertravelinsurance as it was cheapest and easiest, stay away from usit ripoff. A

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

iv looked around at a few different companies and found the quality of cover is reflected in the price

if your looking for a WHV and insurance i found usit to be the best, by best i mean for convenience and quality of cover. Also they set up a bank account and tax file number (both free if you do yourself, but theres convenience) and get you a sim card for 399

you can get the WHV yourself which costs 170 so that leaves your insurance from them at 229

with backpacker (underwritten by blue insurance) or blue themselves they advertise cheaper than 229 but when you set criteria to worldwide excluding USA/Canada and bring in winter sports there about the same price but they cover less than usit and you still have to sort your whv

trailfinders was the most expensive at about 530 for whv and insurance and said they have the best quality cover including, exam failure, theft, flight problems, flying you home if someone dies or even if you die, nice of them lol
    usit covers this also

if you just want insurance get the cheapest but just check that it covers what you need

hope this helps

p.s. not a usit nuthugger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Based on the SPAM on this thread I would be turned off Blue Insurance. Shop around and maybe try a broker. The Paddy pricing is shocking, ACE UK are far cheaper than ACE Ireland for instance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement