Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travertine Tiles

• 07-04-2010 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a small area with travertine type tiles, question is, should I seal them? if so, do I seal them before or after I grout? And on the grout thing, I'm using a cream coloured grout, do I grout like a normal tile? ie:grout the whole surface and wipe off excess or do I leave all the holes in tiles and just try and grout between the tiles?:eek:
    Thanks for any advice.
    4499794208_3ac70022ac.jpg
    4499158549_478e65f606.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi

The photo you have attached is not showing yet but to answer your questions

1. should I seal them?
    - Yes unless they were supplied pre-treated. Your tile supplier should have confirmed that with you.

2. if so, do I seal them before or after I grout?
    - Depends how much trouble you want to go to.
    Traditionally they are sealed after they have been laid but some tilers have sealed the tiles individually before laying to avoid stains from adhesive. whereas I have also seen tilers lay them then seal them and the grout and then apply another coat of sealer to ensure they also seal the ivory grout to ensure it doesn't discolour too quickly.

3. do I grout like a normal tile?
    - Yes otherwise you will have dirt collecting in all the small openings. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Ta kindly Tommy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

As tommy said.....

I use to seal them when they were down. Seal the whole lot... grout and all....

If you listen to the manufacturer first your suspose to clean them with acid first...

However make no mistake seal them... If your doing it use a mini roller and dont blotch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Thanks Joey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

good advise from above posts, if you are only doing 3 to 4 yds it could save you some hassle if you pretreat the tiles, as you are a diy,er it will ease removal of any adhesive stains, pencil or marker stains. as joey the lips said dont blotch, when you apply the sealer, if it has not soaked in after 5 to 7 minutes wipe off excess with a dry cloth. N.B be 100% sure tiles are dry. reseal after grouting.

www.bathroombliss.info

• Advertisement
Advertisement