Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I got a leak?

• 07-04-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Repaired a major central heating leak in my house. Before repairing the leak header tank in my attic was running like a tap for 2 months. Not running at all now. Small bit of damp along skirting in one spot since I replaced my hall floor. Tied up the ballcock on the header tank and water level is not dropping at all. Can I be certain the heating is not leaking because of this? Is this a good guide? Is it possible the earler leak is still drying out as a lot of water leaked over the 2 months. Should have said my heating is working perfect now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Repaired a major central heating leak in my house. Before repairing the leak header tank in my attic was running like a tap for 2 months. Not running at all now. Small bit of damp along skirting in one spot since I replaced my hall floor. Tied up the ballcock on the header tank and water level is not dropping at all. Can I be certain the heating is not leaking because of this? Is this a good guide? Is it possible the earler leak is still drying out as a lot of water leaked over the 2 months. Should have said my heating is working perfect now.

hello there, had a similar problem about a year or so ago which I fixed and replaced floor only to find that the waste pipe in my bath and kitchen sink were leaking also - shoddy workmanship the pipes weren't even glued - worth checking if there is any waste pipes in the vicinity at least - good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Qprmeath wrote: »

Depends on how long you tied up the ballcock for. A small drip would not be obvious in tank level for some time. However, it's more likely that the wall behind the skirting is just taking time to dry out. You could try putting a dehumidifier near to the damp patch to hasten drying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

The ball cock has been tied up for 3/4 days at this stage. The dehumidifier might be worth a try as well. The water level in the header tank has not dropped at all in this time as I put a mark on the side at the water level and it hasnt budged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

direct a hair dryer to the spot, outside will dry, dampness will soak to the front, repeat for a couple of hours, if no leak should become dry.

www.bathroombliss.info

Advertisement