Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia Picanto

• 07-04-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I am trying to find my first car (I will have a full licence) and keep changing my mind.

Basically I think what I want now is a 5 door hatchback, 1.1 engine, 04 or newer and cup holders (don't ask but they are very important!) but only have around €6k.

I was looking at the Kia Picanto. Seems basic but does the job. Then I saw it only has a 3 star NCAP rating. Is that really bad? Or does anyone have any other suggestions of better cars?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If you want something small like that I'd go with a Fiat Panda.

This should be possible for close to budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Thanks for the suggestion however I'm not the biggest fan of the panda. It looks wierd to me.

Thats another thing I'm fussy about looks. Its gonna take ages for me to find a car. :sigh:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Also consider the Hyundai Getz, same running gear as Picanto but bigger.
    hyundai-getz.jpg
    Can't see how you'd pick a Picanto based on looks though......

Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 worth a look also.
    intro-colt-cz5.jpg

Thanks for those suggestions. Definately worth a look. Its not that the picanto looks amazing, its just the panda to me looks like its been rear ended.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

med_seat_ibiza_diesel_hatchback_14788.jpeg
    MKIV Seat Ibiza 2006 2008 Facelift Model Starts at 1.2ltr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The following would also be in your price range:

Citroen C1:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201009197147148

Peugeot 107:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201007196943362

Toyota Aygo:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201011197292160

All 3 are pretty much the same car built in the same factory. 1.0 litre engine is pretty good on fuel and they are alot newer in design than the Picanto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

for that money you could get an 04 passat for christs sake

sont buy that type of fart can

you will regreat it.

bmw535d wrote: »

you will regreat it.

Hardly the ideal beginner car though is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Get yourself into a nice Skoda Fabia, 1.2 engine, roomy, five doors and built like a tank. Absolutely bomb proof and a really nice car to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

How about this, i know its a bit bigger than the engine size you looking for but insurance shouldnt be a problem.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Astra/1.4-life/201001196457074/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement

you will regreat it.

Why stop at a miserable Passat, you could probably pick up an early or mid 1990s M3 but how are either car relevant to what the OP has outlined in his/her original post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

If you spend so much money to car, op, then I would buy something nicer than Picanto, a Ford Focus 1.6l for instance.

So far I got:
    Getz
    Colt
    Ibiza
    Astra
    Fabia

and am still trying to decide if I like the 107/Aygo/C1

Thanks for all the suggestions!

If you're looking at the Skoda Fabia (a 10 year old model at this stage) the question of just getting an older cheaper one must be asked. there are a good few low mileage ones for small money. the 1.2 engine only came in around 03 but there are a good few 1.4 models for small money and they'll be the same basic car as the last of the 07 models.

As for the Aygo/107/C1 - I have a good lot of experience with them. Mechanically there's nothing to worry about they're simple and basic.
    Pros:
    4 star safety
    Very economical
    Very easy to drive
    Excellent gearchange and easy clutch
    Cheap tax
    Cheap insurance
    Cheap servicing
    Very reliable

Cons
    Boot space tiny
    Base models don't have split rear seat, central locking, side bags or electric windows
    Sound insulation not fantastic, but 1.0 engine is quite fun and sounds good
    A lot of exposed metal on the interior
    Rear windows don't slide down
    Rear seat space tight

The Suzuki Swift is also within your price range:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200948196035865

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201004196731189

Engine is 1.3 litre but hardly a deal breaker over 1.1 litre. Fun, reliable, little car and probably the best looker of everything mentioned so far. It also doesn't feel like a small car on the inside.

Swift is another good option.

My sister is driving one at the moment and it's a really easy car to drive - big mirrors, good visibility, good on petrol and has never given an ounce of trouble

Can't believe I forgot about the swift. Thats what my instructor has and its does the job.

I found a Diesel 04 90K miles. What would people opinions be on diesel v petrol. I won't be driving that much but saving 10c a litre would be nice. Is servicing more exensive with diesels?

Can't believe I forgot about the swift. Thats what my instructor has and its does the job.

I found a Diesel 04 90K miles. What would people opinions be on diesel v petrol. I won't be driving that much but saving 10c a litre would be nice. Is servicing more exensive with diesels?

If you are not doing the mileage then the small savings at the pump will take along time to claw back. Also at 90k miles the car may need money spent on it sooner than later on parts such as suspension, a new DPF (if it has one) and a new DMF on the horizon.

I know of a really nice low mile 06 one coming up for sale in the next week. It's had an accident though but was superficial damage. No chassis or structural damage. 1.3 and every extra. Really nice one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

you will regreat it.
    EPM wrote: »
    Hardly the ideal beginner car though is it
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Why stop at a miserable Passat, you could probably pick up an early or mid 1990s M3 but how are either car relevant to what the OP has outlined in his/her original post?

Nothing wrong with a Passat bazz, its a decent mile muncher.

Your right though, probably not suited to the OPs needs, but I agree with what bmw535d is saying in that the OP can get much better value for 6k than an 04 Kia Picanto.

For that kind of money I would be looking at:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/LX-1.4-(/201010197164106/advert?channel=CARS

or

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/NCT05%2312/201011197236743/advert?channel=CARS

Both suitable for beginners as they aren't large cars or very powerful, both decent residual values and both quite safe. But most of all infinitely better than a Kia Picanto.

• Advertisement

I'll have a look at the focus & golf too but there slightly out of my price range. Especially the Golf with the 1.6 is a killer for insurance.

Set your budget and haggle, the golf I linked above could easily be gotten for less than 6k.
    Above cars are just examples too.. carzone prices are always somewhat inflated.
    Check donedeal etc too.

Did you get a quote for a 1.6?

You may be surprised on the insurance, ring around.

I'm 23 and insured on a 150bhp 2 litre car fully comp for €650. You have to ring all the companies though the online systems are not going to quote good prices for new/young drivers.

If your a student try axa, they have a student first policy which I found very cheap when I was in college, €580 fully comp on a 1.9 litre 90bhp.

The 1.6 is an extra €700 insurance and then tax is another €300 so it adds up.

For the axa deal, do you have to specifically ask for the student policy.

The 1.6 is an extra €700 insurance and then tax is another €300 so it adds up.

For the axa deal, do you have to specifically ask for the student policy.

The tax isn't 300 more.. depending on wether your 1.1 is more or less than 1100cc it is going to be €186 or €159 per year. Thats €3.50 more a week at worst, and depending on the driving you do you could well find the slightly larger engine to be more economical.

Rates here:
    1,001cc to 1,100cc €259
    1,101cc to 1,200cc €286
    1,201cc to 1,300cc €310
    1,301cc to 1,400cc €333
    1,401cc to 1,500cc €357
    1,501cc to 1,600cc €445

Plus you don't have to get a 1.6, that was just a suggestion, a 1.4 perhaps?

Is it seriously €700 more for a 1.6 than a 1.1? Crazy stuff.

I didn't ask for the student policy when I rang but the guy just said he would try get the best quote he could for me.. would be no harm to ask for it though! I rang the local office as opposed to the lo-call number.

Look at it this way.. the day you buy is the day you sell, and you know its going to be much easier to shift one of the other cars suggested when the time comes. Plus the others will hold their value much better than a Picanto.

Also do you realize that the Picanto is a 3 star NCAP car? That really is a poor enough standard of safety for a modern car.

Ah, I now want a golf. I wish I didn't change my mind every 20 minutes! I liked the picanto to start with but the poor ncap & resale value put me off.

My brother has a .9 Polo at the moment and it struggles to make it up some hills. Would a 1.1 be different or pretty much the same?

Newer engines will be much better, both a Picanto or a newer Polo will be better than an old Polo, they're woefully underpowered.

A 1.4 Golf is rubbish. Wouldn't pull the drawers off a...

Is the 1.4 golf really rubbish? What would you suggest then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Ah, I now want a golf. I wish I didn't change my mind every 20 minutes! I liked the picanto to start with but the poor ncap & resale value put me off.

My brother has a .9 Polo at the moment and it struggles to make it up some hills. Would a 1.1 be different or pretty much the same?

Newer Polo (from 2002 on) has a 1.2ltr which on paper isn't that powerful but in reality is a fine little revvy torquey engine.

• Advertisement

Either the diesels of one of the TSi engines in one but you'll have bigger insurance plus they won't really come in under budget.

Try a corolla 1.4, they have 97bhp as opposed to the cack 75 that the Golf has. they're also far more reliable.

Advertisement