Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you really wanna know about a college before going there??

Options
  • 07-04-2010 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

OK so i just wanna know what most leaving cert students wanna know about a college before going there??

Im on work placement at the moment and im trying to design a website and one of my pages is FAQ, its for a college so im just wondering what do most people want to know before going to college??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

Will I end up living with people I don't like?

What if I don'tlike my course?

What can I do after college?

Will I meet new friends?

What if I hate it?

What is college really like? (because prospectus are a tad biased)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sullshiv

I know that the prospectus are pretty bad, but the funny thing is that the colleges actually think that they are good and give you all the information that you need.

Thanks for replying so fast, some of the questions are very useful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

no prob, good luck with your site!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

What is the reputation of the course?

Can you change courses?

What happens if you fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

sullshiv wrote: »
    OK so i just wanna know what most leaving cert students wanna know about a college before going there??

Im on work placement at the moment and im trying to design a website and one of my pages is FAQ, its for a college so im just wondering what do most people want to know before going to college??
    Views from existing students ... unbiased ones, not ones the college has censored or at least had an involvement with procuring.

Apart from obvious things like quality of courses ...

- General atmosphere of college and surrounding area ...

- Student / social life ... yes, you're going there to study for a degree but you are not going to spend all your life in the library.

- Accommodation options: cost / closeness / etc.

- Transport ... how easy is it to get to
    Will I end up living with people I don't like?

Will I meet new friends?

What if I hate it?

No disrespect, cailin, but these are so personal to each individual that they're pretty impossible for any college or site to answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

sullshiv wrote: »

What are the results like from each course?

How well is the course respected by other big institutions around the world, and also can the college give me advice on how to get into these big institutions (like Harvard, etc) from day one of my course?

It might just be me personally, but I think a bog standard budget from anonymous college student showing how much they spend each month would be handy. Maybe a few even to get a general feel for the real expense of college.

What do MOST people from my course end up doing? Like if I'm doing commerce, don't tell me that 'we've had lots set up successful businesses make fortunes from commerce' because I ain't buying it.

I suppose honesty is all students are really after. If you're straight with us from day one we'll appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

If I hate my course would I be able to switch to another one within the college, provided there's space and I have the entry requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

What's the graduation/fail/drop out rate?

What qualifications are gained from it? Is there a pathway to a MA, PhD etc.?

What's the quality of teaching like? (Former students opinion here is handy)

Is there a student body present? Like a Student Union? If so, what do they do?

Can I switch in between modules within my course?

What's the expected workload? Tutorials/labs/lectures? Breakdowns of continuous assessment?

Transport/location, near buses? trains? motorways?

What's the student accomodation like? Will I be sharing? Room sizes, broadband, bills? What's the off-campus accomodation like? Friendly crime low areas overall?

---

I think a section where former students can share their experiences specifically (Not thoses few sentence ones, actual paragraphs)

Advertisement