Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healing Tattoos

Options
  • 07-04-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

Booked in to get my first tat tomorrow, and I'm more than a little confused about what the healing process will entail. I know there are the high maintainance and low maintainance schools of thought, but I also came across this on the net and want to know if it's relevant? Is plastic wrap really that bad?

And what are most peoples recommendations with healing? Just so I can ask the artist tomorrow and be semi-informed :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I leave the plastic on for a max of 4 hours after getting inked, after that it's time to let it breathe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I got my first Large tattoo on my back and I left the Cling film on till I got home

Then Walked around the house with no top on for the rest of the day . Come the evening time I was using BEpanthen in the evening which I used for a couple of days

Worked Perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭djrlittleton

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Thanks all :)

Just wondering mainly though, about the claim in that link that plastic wrap is frowned upon?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Personally I disagree with the use of cling wrap and my reasons are solely because in order for bacteria to breed then need a warm moist environment which is exactly what covering a fresh tattoo is creating.As well as that you by letting the area get moist the ink is leeching out.

My method is to wash with as hot water you can while washing with anti bacterial soap(to open the pores),then cold water(to close them) and apply ointment--plain ointment,not even bepanthen (contains boiled sheeps wool ie lanolin which I dont want near me and is also oil based which is a no-no for tattoos) and then later on some vit-e cream.

In ancient Japan they used to jump into a hot spring and then into a cold lake to achieve the same effect and thats worked for hundreds if not thousands of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

yeah, for most tattoos there seems to be little point in leaving cling film on. The only one I re wrapped was my foot, just when I went outdoors to save it from the dirty streets of Dublin. So it was wrapped for good few hours for probably 5 days or so after the tat, didn't cause any ill effects. my preference would be, and has been with my other tats, just to leave the cling film off few hours after getting tat.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Personally I disagree with the use of cling wrap and my reasons are solely because in order for bacteria to breed then need a warm moist environment which is exactly what covering a fresh tattoo is creating.As well as that you by letting the area get moist the ink is leeching out.

My method is to wash with as hot water you can while washing with anti bacterial soap(to open the pores),then cold water(to close them) and apply ointment--plain ointment,not even bepanthen (contains boiled sheeps wool ie lanolin which I dont want near me and is also oil based which is a no-no for tattoos) and then later on some vit-e cream.

In ancient Japan they used to jump into a hot spring and then into a cold lake to achieve the same effect and thats worked for hundreds if not thousands of years.

See this is what confuses me - on their site, Wildcat (where I'm getting it done tomorrow) advise wrapping it and re-wrapping it:
    1. Leave the Clingfilm on for 4-12 hours.
    2. Wash your hands well then remove the Clingfilm.
    3. Immediately after removing Clingfilm, gently wash your tattoo using only your fingertips, (do not use a facecloth, sponge etc, until the tattoo has completely healed) with a good quality un-fragranced liquid soap and cool to lukewarm water (cool water is less likely to stimulate fresh bleeding). Rinse the area thoroughly.
    4. Allow the tattoo to dry naturally in the air (for about 10 minutes), or pat it dry with a fresh, clean towel – do not wipe or rub it dry.
    5. Apply a very light film of Bepanthen or Tattoo Goo (or other aftercare product as recommended by your tattooist), rub it into the skin completely and pat away any excess remaining on the surface of the skin.
    6. Re-cover the tattoo with a new piece of Clingfilm.
    7. Wash and re-bandage the tattoo (using steps 2-6 above) 2 or 3 times daily for 4 days. (Always ensure that your hands are freshly washed when cleaning the tattoo)
    8. After the first 4 days you should stop covering the tattoo with Clingfilm and should stop using Tattoo Goo/Bepanthen. Instead use a good quality fragrance-free moisturising lotion, such as E-45 five times daily. Apply a very light film of the lotion, rub it into the skin completely and pat away any excess remaining on the surface of the skin.
    9. You should continue to treat your new tattoo in this way for about 2-3 weeks, or until the tattoo has stopped flaking and is no longer dry and shiny.
    10. Applying an ice pack to the new tattoo helps to reduce swelling and inhibits the secretion of body fluids. These fluids can cause heavier scabbing, making further care more difficult.

But it really seems as if clingfilm ain't a good idea.

What's likely to happen if I ask the artist about this?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Jimmy theres so many different ways to heal a tattoo that I really dont see you getting a definite answer.

Ive personally tried my method after reading about a tattoo artists success with it and honestly when you think about it,it makes more sense to let an open wound heal by letting the air at it(as yer mammy always told you) than cover it in a greenhouse where bacteria and viruses can grow with all the heat and nourishment that they require.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's fine when it's applied to anti-bacterially cleaned tattoos, but I wouldn't like to leave it on for too long, as like the article said, it just makes it really for bacteria to breed and possibly for infection to set in.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll be opting to keep it open as much as possible, makes a lot more sense and there's not that much literature out there openly supporting plastic wrap that I can find.

• Advertisement
Advertisement