Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whitney Houston - The O2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JM1971

Yes Rovert with an average minimum of 25 posts per week over a period of five years I was counting ......something you got right but the age thing your way off wrong on that one but I will leave you guessing and am sure you will reply ...and yes you are repeating yourself .
    :p:confused::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Initial reaction seems to be that she was ok. She had trouble hitting the high notes and stalled a lot but her singing was generally ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 NewBalance

GF just in from seeing the hugely disapointing WH after paying €106 to Aiken Pomotions who should be ashamed of themselves for pushing the car wreck that is Whitney.

WH mimed the first song - waffled on about herself 'not being a dog as only dogs fix themselves' and could not hit a note with a bass fiddle.

Total rip off - she was incoherent, her brother who was used as filler material while backstage they must have been trying to prop up Whitney for the final leg of the show. WH spoke most of the vocals, no atmosphere and my Gf says people were just talking amongst themselves.

It's a shame but ultimately - Why Charge People to See this 3rd Rate Has Been?

EVERYONE SEEK A REFUND from AIKEN Promotions at Aiken Promotions 24 Holles Street, Dublin 2, Phone 00353 (0)1 77 55 800

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Going by people on Liveline Aiken will tell you to take it up with her label and/or management. Go whistle for it basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭musicmania

NewBalance wrote: »
    GF just in from seeing the hugely disapointing WH after paying €106 to Aiken Pomotions who should be ashamed of themselves for pushing the car wreck that is Whitney.

WH mimed the first song - waffled on about herself 'not being a dog as only dogs fix themselves' and could not hit a note with a bass fiddle.

Total rip off - she was incoherent, her brother who was used as filler material while backstage they must have been trying to prop up Whitney for the final leg of the show. WH spoke most of the vocals, no atmosphere and my Gf says people were just talking amongst themselves.

It's a shame but ultimately - Why Charge People to See this 3rd Rate Has Been?

EVERYONE SEEK A REFUND from AIKEN Promotions at Aiken Promotions 24 Holles Street, Dublin 2, Phone 00353 (0)1 77 55 800

I actually thought the show was ok tonight and good in places. There is NO WAY that she was miming any songs tonight. She was very hoarse at times and no one is going to mime being hoarse. The first half hour was very shaky but it did get better as the night went on. The comments about her fixing herself was when some muppet had a problem with her staightening her clothes. So what was my attitude to that, what is wrong with someone fixing their clothes??????? Her brother only sang one song, very well I must say and the band sang another before she came back out. That was a 10 minute break when she changed her outfit and the only other time she left the stage was before the encore. I've being to gigs where they change every few minutes! She tried her best and yes while some songs were shaky in places others sounded great. A large number of people left very early but the majority of the thousands remaining were cheering and dancing and being very supportive. At one point she complained she was freezing even though she was sweating and my heart went out to her. She obviously isn't well but tonight she gave her all. Flaws and all though I'm glad I went tonight and glad I got the opportunity to see her live.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jkrowling

Went last night. Words cannot describe how bad she was or how dissapointed I was having paid that much to see her. She defo mimed the first song, I was close enough to see it and who ever arranged the music should be fired because they changed the songs that much it was impossible to tell what song it was until it reached the chorous. She spoke most of the high notes and spent a lot of time just standing there with her eyes closed listening to the crowd sing the songs.

She heckled a fan who commented that she was fixing herself and TBH she was constantly fixing herslef, actually looked pregnant and was constantly fixing her tummy area. She was also singing that she could feel a breeze, was cold and where was her tour manager cause she told him she wouldn't sing if the air conditioning was on cause it makes her hoarse?!?!?!? Now she was sweating buckets so don't know how she was cold and after the interval she came out with a big fur coat on her :eek:.

It was uncomfortable to watch, and I actually felt sorry for her because it was clear she was uncomfortable doing the show. You were also not allowed record her performing, which is no surprise considering how bad she is. The stewards were constantly running around giving out to anyone who was trying to record her plus she ordered the bar to close at 9?

To add insult to injury mine and my sisters wallets were stolen at the show, when we went back to see if they had been handed in the police were there and we were the 7th and 8th person from the same area to report it. Now I'm not holding Whitney responsible for that but it just meant it cost us a lot more than the price of the tickets to see a train wreck :mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭unichick

I went on Saturday night and obviously was dissapointed. I wasn't expecting much after all the bad reviews. That child up the front was not a set up. Her mother was right behind me! I couldn't believe it! We had great seats so we could see the train wreck up close.
    When she actually sang it was fine. Obviously her voice is fairly wrecked after drug use but I wasn't expecting miracles.
    Can't understand why people bothered to go if they were going to walk out. Surely they knew they weren't going to see her at her peak.

Best vocals of the night go to that dutch guy who sang the Stevie Wonder song.

Glad to see a legend in concert but sad to see her demise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jenjo23

I went to see Whitney last night and I can say that I was not in the slightest bit disappointed.

I hadn't expected her to be as good as she was, knowing what age alone can do to your voice - I mean were people expecting her to sound like she did when she was 19???!!!

The woman has abused drugs for 20 years, of course her voice isn't as good, but in saying that, I only thought she was a little pitchy in places and overall that her vocals were fantastic.

I mean she hit the big note in I will Always love you for crying out loud!!

I think it's just cool to hate/slag Whitney and people are jumping on the band wagon.

She was fantastic, and I got to do something that if you had asked me 5 years ago I never thought I would do and that was be in the same room and witness a performance from the legend that is Whitney Houston.

It was a dream come true and was certainly worth the money I paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭RayCon

unichick wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting miracles.

Just as well, wasn't that Mirah Carey ;) ......

... I'll get my coke .... sorry , coat ... sorry Whitney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Going to loose it with Aiken tomorrow, worst concert ever and she was stoned off her head, not paying for two premium rate tickets for that ****e heard better from justin bieber which is shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

You can scream at them all you want but I highly doubt you're going to get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭musicmania

jenjo23 wrote: »
    I went to see Whitney last night and I can say that I was not in the slightest bit disappointed.

I hadn't expected her to be as good as she was, knowing what age alone can do to your voice - I mean were people expecting her to sound like she did when she was 19???!!!

The woman has abused drugs for 20 years, of course her voice isn't as good, but in saying that, I only thought she was a little pitchy in places and overall that her vocals were fantastic.

I mean she hit the big note in I will Always love you for crying out loud!!

I think it's just cool to hate/slag Whitney and people are jumping on the band wagon.

She was fantastic, and I got to do something that if you had asked me 5 years ago I never thought I would do and that was be in the same room and witness a performance from the legend that is Whitney Houston.

It was a dream come true and was certainly worth the money I paid.

Well said for everything you wrote but especially what I've highlighted.
    Kevin! wrote: »
    Going to loose it with Aiken tomorrow, worst concert ever and she was stoned off her head, not paying for two premium rate tickets for that ****e heard better from justin bieber which is shocking

More fool you for spending that crazy money in the 1st place. We got seats for We Will Rock You for normal price that were premium priced for Whitney and while yes they are the best in the venue I was only 3 rows and maybe 10-15 seats away from those last night and had perfect view. In a venue like The O2 "Premium" seats are a rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

If people go to a gig with an air of dread before they even take their seats, then your onto a looser straight away. In my opinion, too many people had their minds made up before the show and the woman never stood a chance.

I'm not a fan of her music but went with my wife on Saturday night, I hoped it wouldn't be the disaster that was reported in previous shows but had an open mind.

Yes, she seemed to be on some medication and rambled on at times, but when she sang she was really good. The crowd reaction after "I wanna dance with somebody", "how will I know" and "I will always love you" was incredible and the scenes I witnessed bore no resemblence to the shambolic reports in the papers or on this site. The Daily Stars "review" of the show was quotes lifted from this very site! They review a show without even being there?!
    Whitney Houston still has problems, that's there for all to see.
    However, the show I witnessed was far removed from the ridiculous reports I've seen. Britney Spears got an easier time and she mimed the entire show!

I agree with a previous post regarding jumping on bandwagons to slate her.
    The person who left after 3 songs is a perfect example. There was nothing in the first 3 songs to make anyone leave that show, but by leaving you had a story to tell right?

I seen Mariah Carey in Las Vegas recently, and very like Houston, the show is very glitzy and showbusiness like. They play on the diva title, hence Houston stopping a song to apply make up. She turned the mic to the crowd as they sang en masse to some of her bigger hits, not because she couldn't sing! Jesus, we see Robbie Williams do it evertime he performs Angels.

I think advisors to Whitney Houston should advise her to keep the incoherent rants to a minimum, agreed. But other than that I think the show was quite good.

great post poundhound, couldn't have put it better myself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

There is some amount of crap being talkin in here. Jumoing on a band wagon, wtf?

Hmmm let me see, do i think she's shi-te because over time and due to the massive amounts of drugs WH has consumed she has turned from a talented singer to a talentless below average kareoke singer? Yes i do.

Is this jumping on a band wagon? No it's not.

Is it having a well balanced opinion? Yes

Is it being oblivious and fanboi-ish to the max/ WH 4 eva? No.

To the people that said she sang really well? Yes she did, in the 70's.

My good god, i have lost faith in my ears then. If she tried out on X factor she'd be destroyed.

• Advertisement

I find it incredible that a moderator on this site can make a statement like " There's some amount of crap being talkin in here".

Moderate if you have to (whatever the **** that means), but don't criticise my views just because you don't agree.

Regarding the X factor link, do you really think someone like Whitney Houston (as damaged as she is) gives a flying **** about the views of Louis Walsh or Danni Minogue, Jesus h Christ!

As the topic here is Whitney Houston at the O2, at least confirm you attended one of the shows. After all you hardly disagree with someones opinion of a concert if you weren't there now, that would just be plain stupid wouldn't it? Eh? Well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭loveacca

I am going tonight, the other half is a big fan and her buddie cannt make it tonight so I am roped in. Not expecting much so I wont be disappointed. not a big fan but anyone going to the concert who is and is expecting her to be as good as she was back in the day is setting themselves up for a disapointing evening. This is an event with a megastar, if the music is good it will probably be a bonus
    WTF am I going? Do us men always have to bend to the wishes of our women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

lordgoat wrote: »
    There is some amount of crap being talkin in here. Jumoing on a band wagon, wtf?

Hmmm let me see, do i think she's shi-te because over time and due to the massive amounts of drugs WH has consumed she has turned from a talented singer to a talentless below average kareoke singer? Yes i do.

Is this jumping on a band wagon? No it's not.

Is it having a well balanced opinion? Yes

Is it being oblivious and fanboi-ish to the max/ WH 4 eva? No.

To the people that said she sang really well? Yes she did, in the 70's.

My good god, i have lost faith in my ears then. If she tried out on X factor she'd be destroyed.

What in the name of St Martin De Porres did you buy a ticket for a talentless below average karaoke singer for in the first place?

poundhound wrote: »
    I find it incredible that a moderator on this site can make a statement like " There's some amount of crap being talkin in here".

Moderate if you have to (whatever the **** that means), but don't criticise my views just because you don't agree.

Regarding the X factor link, do you really think someone like Whitney Houston (as damaged as she is) gives a flying **** about the views of Louis Walsh or Danni Minogue, Jesus h Christ!

As the topic here is Whitney Houston at the O2, at least confirm you attended one of the shows. After all you hardly disagree with someones opinion of a concert if you weren't there now, that would just be plain stupid wouldn't it? Eh? Well?

I was not at the show but i was forced to listen to some of it. I could possible get you a live recording if you really want but other than comedy purposes it i wouldn't recommend it. (Actually i may post some up just for a laugh). She cannot sing. You seem to just ignore what the vast majority of people that went or heard any of the concert are saying. Then you accuse them of jumping on a band wagon. That is such a ridiculous thing to say. It makes absolutely no sense.

Not just the Dublin gig, but any of her recent ones. Her voice is no where near as good as it was which is more than likely die to her lifestyle.

I feel that people should know the full story about this shambolic affair, and i could not recommend that anyone expecting to hear any amount of vocal ability will be sorely disappointed.

The X factor point, was as crap and pointless and awful a show as it may be, you at least need to be able to sing to advance. WH, who can't sing, would not get through. It has nothing to do with what people think of her (you seem obsessed with this) but her actualy ability.

My status as a moderator does not prohibit me from giving an opinion. And i shall give it as voraciously as you.

I was not at the show but i was forced to listen to some of it. I could possible get you a live recording if you really want but other than comedy purposes it i wouldn't recommend it. (Actually i may post some up just for a laugh). She cannot sing. You seem to just ignore what the vast majority of people that went or heard any of the concert are saying. Then you accuse them of jumping on a band wagon. That is such a ridiculous thing to say. It makes absolutely no sense.

Not just the Dublin gig, but any of her recent ones. Her voice is no where near as good as it was which is more than likely die to her lifestyle.

I feel that people should know the full story about this shambolic affair, and i could not recommend that anyone expecting to hear any amount of vocal ability will be sorely disappointed.

The X factor point, was as crap and pointless and awful a show as it may be, you at least need to be able to sing to advance. WH, who can't sing, would not get through. It has nothing to do with what people think of her (you seem obsessed with this) but her actualy ability.

My status as a moderator does not prohibit me from giving an opinion. And i shall give it as voraciously as you.

You weren't there so you don't know.

I wasn't there on Saturday or any of the other shows so I don't know what she was like at them.

I WAS at Sundays show and while her vocals weren't as good as they were 20 years ago, they were still great.

You are offering your opinion on something you know nothing about because you were NOT there.

I am offering my opinion on something I know a lot about as I WAS there!

• Advertisement

jenjo23 wrote: »
    You weren't there so you don't know.

I wasn't there on Saturday or any of the other shows so I don't know what she was like at them.

I WAS at Sundays show and while her vocals weren't as good as they were 20 years ago, they were still great.

You are offering your opinion on something you know nothing about because you were NOT there.

I am offering my opinion on something I know a lot about as I WAS there!

That is one of the most stupid statements i have ever heard. You can't have an opinion on something if you weren't there? Let me quickly think of some of the things i no longer have opinions on. Any football match i watched on tv, both world wars, hell i wasn't in iceland so i guess the volcano doesn't matter to me any more. Wow just wow.

So the only people that are allowed an opinion are those who went to the show. What about the people that walked out after the 3rd song (and throughout the performance)? Oh i know, maybe they only get 3 songs worth of an opinion. Is the validity of your opinion based on the length of time you stayed there for?

If you truly believe what you've already posted, don't bother replying to me, i'd rather waaste my time forming opnions on things i've never been to.:rolleyes:

That is one of the most stupid statements i have ever heard. You can't have an opinion on something if you weren't there? Let me quickly think of some of the things i no longer have opinions on. Any football match i watched on tv, both world wars, hell i wasn't in iceland so i guess the volcano doesn't matter to me any more. Wow just wow.

So the only people that are allowed an opinion are those who went to the show. What about the people that walked out after the 3rd song (and throughout the performance)? Oh i know, maybe they only get 3 songs worth of an opinion. Is the validity of your opinion based on the length of time you stayed there for?

If you truly believe what you've already posted, don't bother replying to me, i'd rather waaste my time forming opnions on things i've never been to.:rolleyes:

How can you offer your opinion on it when you weren't there??!! Something you didnt see. That is what's stupid here. Watching something on TV is completey different.

You are being absolutely ridiculous.

The guy who walked out after 3 songs didn't even pay for his ticket so obviously had no interest in being there in the 1st place.

I'm not posting here again because this is absolutely ridiculous.

I can't believe someone would post their opinion on a show they didn't see!!!!!!!!!!

Jenjo23 you are bang on! I don't mind someone having a different opinion than me on anything. But when a moderator bulldozes their way into a thread about a concert and brandishes descriptions like "****e" and "crap", without even being there, then I'm going to dig my heels in.

You were forced to listen to it?? Were you working on a merchandice stand?
    Oh sorry, I forgot you weren't there.

By knocking an artist for a live show you didn't witness but heard bad reports about, you my friend are taking a huge run up and summersaulting onto the aforementioned bandwagon.

And my final point, Your references to the x factor bothers me. "at least you have to be able to sing to progress"??? Really?
    Well you keep listening to the silky vocals of Jedward and let the rest of us debate a concert that we actually attended.

Oh jesus. There is no point in even trying anymore, but at least 2 whole people had a good time at the show.

And if anyone wants to post an opinion whether they were at the show or not it is allowed and encouraged, despite what some people may think it is indeed valid.

Jedward are actually better singers that Whitney is at this moment in time! No that speaks volumes. So if i had to listen to one of them, Jed are the lesser of two evils.

And if you read my posts you would understand that i listened to 60% of that concert, and about 30% of the other one. Which is probably longer that she was on stage for, so i am perfectly within my rights to post an opinion on the show. She cannot sing very well. The majority of people who went to her shows were dosappointed, not on any bandwagon. Deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭larry1

I hear she is coming back in September to do WWE RAW instead :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Someone told me the 1969 Woodstock was crap. Im glad now I wasnt at it.

This thread is ridiculous.

Anyone who went to the show can voice their opinions but anyone who wasn't there is not talking from experience of the Dublin shows.

I wasn't there but my GF was. She phoned me a couple of times and all I could hear were cheers - no boos. She told me that the singing was reasonable but she wouldn't pay to see her again. However she said it was still enjoyable which is far from the rants that are being put forward here by people who weren't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭fluke

opinions_are_like_assholes_everybody_has_one_magnet-p147650639039037596td9z_210.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

I've seen youtube videos from several nights of the tour. Every night during I Will Always Love You Whitney takes about a minute to compose herself before the big note, has a drink, does her make up etc, all with her back to the audience while a band member presses random keys on an electric piano with a faux-xylophone setting. Then she turns around and swings her fist, the bass drum kicks in, the lights come on, the band comes back to life, the backing singers give it socks, and Whitney fluffs the note completely. It's too short, it's off key and it's broken into a series of short squawks because she hasn't got the lungs to sustain a note for any length of time.

The audience doesn't notice however because they've been dazzled by the spectacle and they're all singing the song to themselves anyway. Whitney warbles in and out of key for the next minute and a half pretending she's a diva improvising, some of the audience buy it and some don't and the next day we have reports that the gig was both amazing and a dump at once. Given that they had very little to work with to begin with, the promoters of this tour have done a great job at ensuring that they can walk away with armfuls of cash despite having delivered a complete turkey to the punters. And if anyone asks any questions they can just point to those people who found the show amazing as proof that they came up with the goods. Brilliant! :)

Another genius who wasn't there but can review a show based on YouTube clips.

I'm off now to review lady gaga's last show in Dublin.
    I wasn't there but there was a couple of photos in the daily star the next day, I seen them with my own eyes!

• Advertisement

It's fairly obvious that Whitney is just not fit/physically able for this kind of tour anymore. Look at Springsteen etc who is 60 and his concerts get even better with age. Whitney had an amazing talent that she abused and the results are now showing.Very sad to see such a demise of a great talent. And yes I was there on Sat and yes I saw her in 1993 and it was truly shocking to see how she attempted to blag her way through the show.

Time to sit back on the Royalties Whitney and become an American Idol judge :)

Goldentickets.........listening to Youtube clips (often on camera-phones) is no substitute to being there. I'll talk to the GF who is a good singer to see what she thought.

Meanwhile it amazes me to see how many people want to use 3rd hand information to get their opinions. If you were there and said it was rubbish then that's ok.....if you liked it then that's ok too. If you weren't there then don't be using Youtube or the Sun newspaper (or whatever) to judge.

I do agree though that it is debatable whether the show was value for money.

poundhound wrote: »
    Another genius who wasn't there but can review a show based on YouTube clips.

I can identify a scam without being a victim of it. :)

Take a look at the videos yourself and you'll see exactly what I described. Every night. I don't care if people like Whitney Houston or not, but this performance was propped up, by the lights, by the band, by the audience. Whitney did not deliver and it was laughably predictable.

Stockdam, the sources I used to form my opinion were second hand, not third hand. Besides, everybody relies on second and third hand information to formulate their opinions every day, through the news, at work etc. It's a bit of a cop out to say it's not allowed on a subject which is sensitive to you or others (I'm not saying it's necessarily a sensitive subject for you).

I would urge people to watch the videos and concentrate on Whitney alone. Try to ignore the lights, the audience, the band etc, and just watch what she does. It's Whitney that people are paying to see, and she's doing next to nothing. The fact that people think her show is value for money is just incentive for promoters to keep ripping off the public. If the punters are happy to accept these kinds of standards why shouldn't the promoters keep shaking them down for more cash?

Goldentickets....I couldn't care less about her and I didn't go to the concert.

However using Youtube from another venue/night is hardly what we are discussing. Nobody here is saying that she hasn't gone downhill but let's leave it to those who actually went on the night to give their opinion.

There are many acts who can't sing but who put on reasonable live performances.......it's a show and not just somebody singing without backing, instruments, lights, etc.

stockdam wrote: »
    Goldentickets....I couldn't care less about her and I didn't go to the concert.

However using Youtube from another venue/night is hardly what we are discussing. Nobody here is saying that she hasn't gone downhill but let's leave it to those who actually went on the night to give their opinion.

There are many acts who can't sing but who put on reasonable live performances.......it's a show and not just somebody singing without backing, instruments, lights, etc.

Yeah, I figured you couldn't care less, that's why I said I wasn't saying it was a sensitive subject for you.

If you feel so strongly that only those who attended the shows should be offering opinions why are you on here at all? Just wait until your girlfriend has seen the show and let her post here herself.

Maybe it can be argued that acts with bad singers can put on good shows, but that is not what we are discussing here, we're discussing Whitney Houston. Do you think anybody goes to a Whitney Houston show to watch the drummer?

If you feel so strongly that only those who attended the shows should be offering opinions why are you on here at all? Just wait until your girlfriend has seen the show and let her post here herself.

Because I wanted to hear what others thought....those who actually went and paid their money. My GF saw the show and said it was ok and at times quite good. She's a pretty fine singer and knows fine well when somebody is struggling or is hitting their notes. I'd take her opinion over somebody who wasn't even at the show.

I'd take her opinion over somebody who wasn't even at the show.

And I'd form my own opinion. That seems to be the difference between you and me.

You weren't there and you're basing your opinion off what your girlfriend says (second hand information). I wasn't there and I'm basing my opinion off video footage taken by people who were (also second hand information).

How can you claim that you simply adopting your girlfriend's opinion is better than me forming one myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 older smiley

Jesus this thread has really turned into a slaging match between posters and not what the concerts were like.Moderator i'm sorry but your talking sh*te ,the thread is about the concert in the o2 not other concerts or youtube or listening in on phone lines to the concert(surely it would have been cheaper to buy a ticket)
    I first saw her in 1986 in london and to be honest she could not sing live then either.
    I was at sundays concert and i would give it a 5 out of 10.Yes she mumbles and talks her way through songs and no one knew what she was saying,yes she lets her backing sigers take the strain on most of the songs incl singing all of Queen of the night.but one moment stood out for me,she was singing the song from youtube last week "I will always love you"and she paused ,the audience were willing her to reach the next high note and by god she did.the place erupted and I would say it made most peoples night.I would also like to point out that even liveline has not gone back to it (may do tomorrow)as there are more important things going on in the world than people complaining about things they were not even at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Jesus this thread has really turned into a slaging match between posters and not what the concerts were like.Moderator i'm sorry but your talking sh*te ,the thread is about the concert in the o2 not other concerts or youtube or listening in on phone lines to the concert(surely it would have been cheaper to buy a ticket)
    I first saw her in 1986 in london and to be honest she could not sing live then either.
    I was at sundays concert and i would give it a 5 out of 10.Yes she mumbles and talks her way through songs and no one knew what she was saying,yes she lets her backing sigers take the strain on most of the songs incl singing all of Queen of the night.but one moment stood out for me,she was singing the song from youtube last week "I will always love you"and she paused ,the audience were willing her to reach the next high note and by god she did.the place erupted and I would say it made most peoples night.I would also like to point out that even liveline has not gone back to it (may do tomorrow)as there are more important things going on in the world than people complaining about things they were not even at

So what you're saying is "she's crap, she's always been crap but unless you've seen her live you can't say she's crap"

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So what you're saying is "she's crap, she's always been crap but unless you've seen her live you can't say she's crap"

That's pretty much the argument!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

went tonight, heartbroken :( couldnt even recognise some of the oldies with the way she was singing them, she just wasnt Whitney :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ash1985

I was at the Whitney gig last night. All i can say is i am devistated. :( Its not just the fact that my €86 (the cheapest tickets available i might add) was wasted on a shocking performance, its sad to see that Whitney is past her sell by date.

Aftering hearing the reports all weekend i must say i wasnt expecting much but at that I hoped she'd prove her critics wrong, sadly she didnt. I was shocked. Cringed for her most of the way through. I wanted to leave mid-way but decided to stay until I had heard the good oldies that we all love....my mistake. I will Always Love You was barely recognisable, she stopped numerous times in the middle of the song because apparently the crowd singing it to her was putting her off....maybe a diva act?? I dont know. I just wish I hadn't have went and remembered Whitney for the beautiful legend that she used to be.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

thought she was fab last night, am a huge fan - the crowd LOVED it (and anyone who says otherwise is lying, most of the 02 were on their feet for the whole thing). Yeah, she improvised some songs but she ALWAYS sang like that live! Voice still fab although not perfect but had a fantastic time and was delighted I saw her.
    anyone who was expecting a Bodyguard-style CD recording vocal is just deluded - you wouldn't get it off anyone live bar maybe Celine Dion - but there is NO WAY she was crap last night. Loved it.

etymon wrote: »
    (and anyone who says otherwise is lying, - but there is NO WAY she was crap last night. Loved it.

WTF? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Only die hard fans seem to be defending what were possibly the 3 worst live performances the city has encountered in a long time :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

uhhh...way to doctor a quote!!!

just my opinion - everyone entitled to one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 superhooop

Have to say i was at last nights gig with my wife and she wasn't too bad, the kid she brought up to sing was great fair play to her...I was 6 or 7 rows from the stage and my highlight of the night was them 2 planks JEDWARD been told to sit and stay seated as they were disrupting the crowd.....love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

superhooop wrote: »
    Have to say i was at last nights gig with my wife and she wasn't too bad, the kid she brought up to sing was great fair play to her...I was 6 or 7 rows from the stage and my highlight of the night was them 2 planks JEDWARD been told to sit and stay seated as they were disrupting the crowd.....love it.

JEDWARD????? Snappin' I missed them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 squa79

I was at the concert on Sunday night,and I have to say I did enjoy it... I do agree it was totally over priced.. but that is rip off ireland after all...

Whitney wasn't as incoherent as the reports I have read .. and some of the notes were a struggle.. but all in all I enjoyed it and so did my mates that were there with me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭RayCon

Seems to me that there's far more people unhappy with the concert than those who were happy (Im talking about the people who have posted who say they were actually there) ... and even some of those who are jumping to defend Houstons performance still contain negative language :
    She told me that the singing was reasonable but she wouldn't pay to see her again.
    Have to say i was at last nights gig with my wife and she wasn't too bad, .

Not exactly satisfied sounding punters to be honest , and hardly the performance level that justifies the hefty ticket price
    the kid she brought up to sing was great fair play to her...I was 6 or 7 rows from the stage and my highlight of the night was them 2 planks JEDWARD been told to sit and stay seated as they were disrupting the crowd.....love it.

But honestly, did you and your wife pay hefty sums of hard earned cash to see a kid sing or see some Z list celebrities get told to sit down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ang

I was at the concert last night. I do not understand why she got so many bad reviews for the concerts in the UK last week. She was still recovering from the respiratory infection and that's why she couldn't hit the notes.

People need to remember that.

I am a life long Whitney fan and I think the concert was excellent. She can still sing her heart out. I am sick of people bashing her, they are just jumping on the bandwagon. One bad performance ( I will always love you in Birmingham) and the media slated her. It's ridiculous and cruel.

Yes she speaks a lot during her concerts, but she has always done that. Even years ago. She doesn't do it because she can't sing anymore - she can sing as well as ever.

Last night was thoroughly entertaining and I enjoyed every moment. It was an honour to see such a legend in concert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement