Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whitney Houston - The O2

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

went tonight, heartbroken :( couldnt even recognise some of the oldies with the way she was singing them, she just wasnt Whitney :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ash1985

I was at the Whitney gig last night. All i can say is i am devistated. :( Its not just the fact that my €86 (the cheapest tickets available i might add) was wasted on a shocking performance, its sad to see that Whitney is past her sell by date.

Aftering hearing the reports all weekend i must say i wasnt expecting much but at that I hoped she'd prove her critics wrong, sadly she didnt. I was shocked. Cringed for her most of the way through. I wanted to leave mid-way but decided to stay until I had heard the good oldies that we all love....my mistake. I will Always Love You was barely recognisable, she stopped numerous times in the middle of the song because apparently the crowd singing it to her was putting her off....maybe a diva act?? I dont know. I just wish I hadn't have went and remembered Whitney for the beautiful legend that she used to be.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

thought she was fab last night, am a huge fan - the crowd LOVED it (and anyone who says otherwise is lying, most of the 02 were on their feet for the whole thing). Yeah, she improvised some songs but she ALWAYS sang like that live! Voice still fab although not perfect but had a fantastic time and was delighted I saw her.
    anyone who was expecting a Bodyguard-style CD recording vocal is just deluded - you wouldn't get it off anyone live bar maybe Celine Dion - but there is NO WAY she was crap last night. Loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭larry1

etymon wrote: »
    (and anyone who says otherwise is lying, - but there is NO WAY she was crap last night. Loved it.

WTF? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Only die hard fans seem to be defending what were possibly the 3 worst live performances the city has encountered in a long time :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

uhhh...way to doctor a quote!!!

just my opinion - everyone entitled to one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 superhooop

Have to say i was at last nights gig with my wife and she wasn't too bad, the kid she brought up to sing was great fair play to her...I was 6 or 7 rows from the stage and my highlight of the night was them 2 planks JEDWARD been told to sit and stay seated as they were disrupting the crowd.....love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

superhooop wrote: »
    Have to say i was at last nights gig with my wife and she wasn't too bad, the kid she brought up to sing was great fair play to her...I was 6 or 7 rows from the stage and my highlight of the night was them 2 planks JEDWARD been told to sit and stay seated as they were disrupting the crowd.....love it.

JEDWARD????? Snappin' I missed them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 squa79

I was at the concert on Sunday night,and I have to say I did enjoy it... I do agree it was totally over priced.. but that is rip off ireland after all...

Whitney wasn't as incoherent as the reports I have read .. and some of the notes were a struggle.. but all in all I enjoyed it and so did my mates that were there with me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

Seems to me that there's far more people unhappy with the concert than those who were happy (Im talking about the people who have posted who say they were actually there) ... and even some of those who are jumping to defend Houstons performance still contain negative language :
    stockdam wrote: »
    She told me that the singing was reasonable but she wouldn't pay to see her again.
    Have to say i was at last nights gig with my wife and she wasn't too bad, .

Not exactly satisfied sounding punters to be honest , and hardly the performance level that justifies the hefty ticket price
    the kid she brought up to sing was great fair play to her...I was 6 or 7 rows from the stage and my highlight of the night was them 2 planks JEDWARD been told to sit and stay seated as they were disrupting the crowd.....love it.

But honestly, did you and your wife pay hefty sums of hard earned cash to see a kid sing or see some Z list celebrities get told to sit down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ang

I was at the concert last night. I do not understand why she got so many bad reviews for the concerts in the UK last week. She was still recovering from the respiratory infection and that's why she couldn't hit the notes.

People need to remember that.

I am a life long Whitney fan and I think the concert was excellent. She can still sing her heart out. I am sick of people bashing her, they are just jumping on the bandwagon. One bad performance ( I will always love you in Birmingham) and the media slated her. It's ridiculous and cruel.

Yes she speaks a lot during her concerts, but she has always done that. Even years ago. She doesn't do it because she can't sing anymore - she can sing as well as ever.

Last night was thoroughly entertaining and I enjoyed every moment. It was an honour to see such a legend in concert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭extremehalo

Who was the opening act on before Whitney last night?
    The lads had a cd for sale outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 superhooop

Who was the opening act on before Whitney last night?
    The lads had a cd for sale outside?

Didn't catch there name but the pa said they won Hollands got Talent last year.

To the poster asking about the price of tickets, i have to say if i paid 100euro each i be disapointed but i got 2 on ebay on Sunday for 45euro all in, so worked out pretty well for me and the wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JM1971

Ang I am sorry to disagree with you , I attended on Saturday and in my opinion she was awful and cringe worthy . She was once a great singer but not anymore and you say she had one bad performance in Birmingham you have obviously not been following her as much as you say. She was heavily slated in Australia too. I would normally enjoy anything even dare I say the Elvis show which I most recently attended with family . Yes the crowd were up even I was, but I have spoken to quite a lot of people and they agreed with me that they were doing their best to encourage her all the way as they felt sorry for her . :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭musicmania

my highlight of the night was the 2 planks JEDWARD been told to sit and stay seated as they were disrupting the crowd.....love it.

Ha ha! Nice one! Hope their hair wasn't blocking anyones view :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

GF was at the Sunday show. She said it was pretty good and that a lot of people were up dancing and enjoying it. No it wasn't the best performance but it was far from the train-wreck that some people appear to say it was (or think it may have been). She enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

By the way, I have heard VERY bad reports about Kenny Rogers in the 02.

- wouldn't play any encores, and actually said that he wouldn't be back out as he was "an old man"
    - stopped and started in the middle of songs such as Coward Of The County
    to skit with the audience
    - only played for 55 minutes !!!!

I sometimes think these people are coming over here and treating the audience with contempt, because the thick paddies will pay ANY amount of money that they ask for, and most people are charitable enough when it comes to poor performances. This Whitney topic would bear that out....

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ang

JM1971 I know she got bad reviews at the Australian Gigs but honestly she was very good on Tuesday night. A friend of mine went to the Saturday night gig and did say she was bad. She was obviously just having a bad night. She was really good on Tuesday. Believe it or not, it's true. I had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭musicmania

Ally Dick wrote: »
    By the way, I have heard VERY bad reports about Kenny Rogers in the 02.

- wouldn't play any encores, and actually said that he wouldn't be back out as he was "an old man"
    - stopped and started in the middle of songs such as Coward Of The County
    to skit with the audience
    - only played for 55 minutes !!!!

I sometimes think these people are coming over here and treating the audience with contempt, because the thick paddies will pay ANY amount of money that they ask for, and most people are charitable enough when it comes to poor performances. This Whitney topic would bear that out....

You have gone completely off topic here but in regards Kenny Rogers I saw him a few years back and he was brilliant and wasn't any of the things you mentioned above. It was only the lack of funds which stopped me going this time. As for most people being charitable...... that wasn't the case when Cat Stevens played last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

musicmania wrote: »
    As for most people being charitable...... that wasn't the case when Cat Stevens played last year.

Cat should have explained to people before he walked off the stage, what was going to happen. A lot of punters thought he wasn't coming back and was short changing them by getting other people to sign his songs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Cat Stevens didnt play here last year...kind of the point lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement