Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand Board Wanted

Options
  • 07-04-2010 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey,

I'm looking to buy a second-hand surfboard, about 7'6". I've only got a maximum of €200 to spend on it.

Does anyone know of a board like this for sale? or am I being unrealistic to try and get a board for that price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

there's two on adverts.ie at the moment one is a 7'4 but it look well beaten up and the other is bic 7'3 - personally don't like that board. If you keep checking, donedeal.ie gumtree.ie and advers.ie you'll see something but be carefull there have been a few boards stolen lately.

If you come up a few quid and set asside somemoney for a leash you'd get something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

hey, looking to sell one of my boards. Its a 7' funboard/fish. Its has had one ding which was professionally repaired and is in perfect condition. It is a glass board, from a shaper in northern spain and i would sell it with a board bag and fins.

I got it to practice surfing on a shorter board as i had been longboarding before this and no longer surf it as i have moved down to a standard 6'2" shortboard. Its a great board if you wish to progress to a smaller board and am still unsure if i really want to sell it as its a great all rounder board, good in the big stuff but also on those mellower days when you don't want the longboard.

If your keen let me know and ill send you picks for you to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=207438&cat=222

just needs a scrub up, and some clean wax. There are no leaks at all on this board, it's repaired perfectly, so open to the old offers as they say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Edmc

That's a nice board. See those discolorations/pock-marks or dark patches on the underside - will that clean up when scrubbed or are those ding repairs that haven't been painted over? i.e. is the board repaired in such a way that, when cleaned up, the repairs are not visible?

they just haven't been painted over. It was the guy I bought it off that had the repairs done. I've used it over the last month, and checked each time and noticed all was sound..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Barry,
    It is a stretch to call the condition of that board 'excellent' as per the ad.

To the original poster, it would also be worth your time calling into a few surf shops, not city based ones as they generally only have new boards, but surf shops near the coast where the turnover of boards is better.

Barry,
    It is a stretch to call the condition of that board 'excellent' as per the ad.

To the original poster, it would also be worth your time calling into a few surf shops, not city based ones as they generally only have new boards, but surf shops near the coast where the turnover of boards is better.

I changed it to "good"..:o:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 generalpeadar

Woh thanks for the response, way better than i was expecting!

first off whynotwhycanti, the board sounds good but im looking for something a bit bigger as im just starting off!

BarryCreed, your board would be perfect size and price that im looking for but it seems like theres some fairly extensive dings that have just been painted over. I could be wrong but I dont tink the board would be worth €200 with that many dings

They haven't been painted over, but repaired, they are flush with the board, so there's no actual dents at all..

my camera work ain't great sorry...

remember €200 is a guide..

BarryCreed wrote: »
    They haven't been painted over, but repaired, they are flush with the board, so there's no actual dents at all..

my camera work ain't great sorry...

remember €200 is a guide..

That board has seen way better days and hasn't been fixed by a pro - I've done better and I'd done some terrible jobs - to be fair clean the wax off and give it a rub with cloth soaked in hot water to take off the worst of the wax and lets have a better look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

haha that thing is beaten!
    the big ding on the rail doesnt even run true with the rail line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jaysus, can't ye lay off him!!:)

glide wrote: »
    haha that thing is beaten!
    the big ding on the rail doesnt even run true with the rail line.

opinions are like @ssholes I suppose....

Well, the board doesn't leak and that's all that matters to me. It also depends what the OP is looking to do on a board, learn how to use a smaller board or other things. I once bought a longboard that had dents all over it, ding repairs etc, and it stood to me well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Thats 200 smackers for a battered piece of:eek:

It's not a battered piece of sh*t. I'll clean off the wax and post another pic, anyways, I couldn't give 2 sh*ts what you think lol :rolleyes:

clean board pics tonight hopefully...

To be fair, the reason people are laying into him is that he posted an advert for a poor condition board and noted it as 'excellent' and 'repaired perfectly'. Having a ding watertight, but as rough as it looks is nearly a waste of time, and generally you do not paint over dings.

fair points, just thought some folk went a wee bit over the top, I've seen far worse posted, and in fairness I should have cleaned it before posting a pic.

personally, I don't care too much for dings, as long as they are fixed properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

And the dings on that aren't.

Back on topic, few board here that could be worth a look

http://www.irishsurfer.com/classifieds/

and keep checking back to see if anything comes up

And the dings on that aren't.

which dings would they be then lad?
    If people maybe put on a pair of glasses/or stopped excessive w@nking, and looked at the pic proper, you'd see, although the board is against a white wall, that's not a chunk out of the board...

• Advertisement

which dings would they be then lad?
    If people maybe put on a pair of glasses/or stopped excessive w@nking, and looked at the pic proper, you'd see, although the board is against a white wall, that's not a chunk out of the board...

Look you're not going to win give it a rest all you are doing is reducing the chances of selling the board by getting more negative hits.

If you want to sell it then clean the wax off give it a polish with a cloth soaked in very hot water to get the last bits off and price it at 150 - it's not worth 200 for not much more you could get a board in mint conditiond the market if flodded.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Mate, keep it and surf it but dont try pawn it off on someone else, at most, its €50

At best, its donor foam.

Just for some perspective, I got
    (before the maket is as flooded as it is now, between mountains of 2nd hands and dirt cheap imports)

a 7.0 beach beat, which had been a custom shaped by Chopps for €300 with out so much as a heal dent, a kane garden twinzer fish shaped by larry mabile(legendary fish shaper) €300, again not even a dent, a takayama model t 10ft, with a bag and fin, one ding on the rail (that actually was professionally repaired, and belive me there is a HUGE difference) for €400

What's the story with the cheap imports lads, i.e. the ones built in China by people who've never seen the sea? How do you spot them?

For instance, I was looking at a lovely board in Bundoran a while back - brand new Fatboy Flyer, 7'4", with fins, leash and bag going for 335 euro. The brand was Cortez. Are some of these boards cheap imports with a good brand slapped on them?

I'd keep well clear

Mate, keep it and surf it but dont try pawn it off on someone else, at most, its €50

At best, its donor foam.

Just for some perspective, I got
    (before the maket is as flooded as it is now, between mountains of 2nd hands and dirt cheap imports)

a 7.0 beach beat, which had been a custom shaped by Chopps for €300 with out so much as a heal dent, a kane garden twinzer fish shaped by larry mabile(legendary fish shaper) €300, again not even a dent, a takayama model t 10ft, with a bag and fin, one ding on the rail (that actually was professionally repaired, and belive me there is a HUGE difference) for €400

that's the most beautiful story I've ever read :)

that's the most beautiful story I've ever read :)

It's a lot better than pure fiction :D

rodento: I'd keep well clear

If that's in relation to the Cortez I mentioned, can you explain why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 rafo802

Low Pockets has given the best advise here, exactly as the market is in Ireland at the moment.

I hope there are plenty of beginners reading this thread looking for their first board because there is some very useful info here.

I wouldn't have a problem with the cheap chinese imports, not if you are starting out anyway, they offer good value for money and get you out there.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

the chinese starter boards are pure crap!!
    they just dont hold together!!
    crap foam
    crap fibreglass and resin
    crap fins

i get them in for repair every week after people have surfed them a couple of times.
    beginners should just buy a bic as they are at least durable!

these are cortez, rocky point, shallow reef, hawaiian soul to name a few.

• Advertisement

To the original poster, why not contact Glide to quote for a new board suited exactly for you.

Or depending on where you are, try your local shaper. Makes the most sense.

Advertisement