Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand Board Wanted

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

glide wrote: »
    the chinese starter boards are pure crap!!
    they just dont hold together!!
    crap foam
    crap fibreglass and resin
    crap fins

i get them in for repair every week after people have surfed them a couple of times.
    beginners should just buy a bic as they are at least durable!

these are cortez, rocky point, shallow reef, hawaiian soul to name a few.

I think it's fair to reiterate that you have a vested interest in this and may not be the best for giving impartial advice. Not all chinese boards are crap and they will definitely suit some people especially with their low cost. They don't all break. In fact, I'd say the majority do not break. I've known plenty of people with 'chinese' boards and none have broken.

Also this crap about being made by someone who has never even seen the sea. What difference does that make? They may live a thousand miles from the sea and have no interest in going near the sea. If they are making a board to an exact specification as designed by professionals, it doesn't matter if they can't surf or even if they have seen the sea.

I work for a company that puts parts into space shuttles and I've never even been in space!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think it's fair to reiterate that you have a vested interest in this and may not be the best for giving impartial advice.

He said he gets them in for repair so we know where his interests lie - what's the problem.

As for cheap imports they are made cheaply with poor quality foam and are easier dammaged.

I've a long board from SA from a well know shaper - got it in a shop here. Tripple stingers didn't stop it snapping - because it hand a light glass job and light foam.

Glide's right about bic's but I'd include NSP's Chaper pop outs.... they are all good for beginners -and he's doing himself out of work by saying so.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I think it's fair to reiterate that you have a vested interest in this and may not be the best for giving impartial advice. Not all chinese boards are crap and they will definitely suit some people especially with their low cost. They don't all break. In fact, I'd say the majority do not break. I've known plenty of people with 'chinese' boards and none have broken.

Also this crap about being made by someone who has never even seen the sea. What difference does that make? They may live a thousand miles from the sea and have no interest in going near the sea. If they are making a board to an exact specification as designed by professionals, it doesn't matter if they can't surf or even if they have seen the sea.

I work for a company that puts parts into space shuttles and I've never even been in space!

I think he has a point. You ever buy anything in the €2 shop? Cheaper things in general tend to be poorer quality (I'll admit there are exceptions however).
    Go to the cycling forum and say Shimano is no better than generic gear makers. Or golf forum say generic clubs are better than Titleist or whatever. People who know their stuff will say there is a difference.

Those boards are fine for people surfing 2-3 times a year. Nobody is disputing that. Bics are great for beginners. But if you go a bit more often then quality equipment is what you need, and you pay a bit more for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Plus, you are missing something if you think a surf board is just the sum of the materials involved. It is so much more. There should be a sense of occassion not only when you surf it, but when you buy it and more importantly, when it is shaped. The discussion with a shaper or good surf shop owner will often be key to the selection of board which will be perfect FOR YOU

You could get a computer to put paint on a canvas all day long, or you can pay a bit more and get an artist to do it. The same with a board.

The other side is that by supporting real shapers, you know that they will still be around when you want a ding fixed, or finally settle on the masterpiece of a board (which you promise you wil only take out when it is 3-4ft super clean).

By all means people, go ahead and buy some cheap board popped out a machine in a factory somewhere, but I do not think that you will ever love a board like that. If I am paddling out somewhere for a few hours, I want to know I love the board I am on.

I do not care if that comes across as elitist, but 'only a surfer knows the feeling' rings true in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I think all boards have there place. I don't see the point in some one only starting getting a custom board only to either never use it or else ding it or bash it because of inexperience.I'd get a cheap board to begin with, if you're still surfing it after a year, you'll probably be surfing for life, so then splash out on a custom board. All the chinese pop outs are grand and serve a portion of people surfing. First board i got was a cortez, never even got one ding on it. It served its purpose grand for getting me started and i still have it. Guaranteed, like a few others have said, its nearly impossible to really love the board as it really is a cheap olde thing and I feckin hate the design on it, but saying that I'll still surf it every now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

To quote Glide
    crap foam
    crap fins

i get them in for repair every week after people have surfed them a couple of times.

He said if you are buying a beginner board get a Bic rather than the crappy brands mentioned above. I know Glide and he does not have a vested interest in selling Bics contrary to what the Big Lebowski seems to think.

Agree with Burnsie though, get a custom board from an established shaper - they are far superior

xxyyzz wrote: »
    To quote Glide

He said if you are buying a beginner board get a Bic rather than the crappy brands mentioned above. I know Glide and he does not have a vested interest in selling Bics contrary to what the Big Lebowski seems to think.

Agree with Burnsie though, get a custom board from an established shaper - they are far superior

I never said he had a vested interest in selling BICs, rather a vested interest in people not buying chinese boards. I don't think Glide are necessarily competing directly with BIC as BIC are known for their durability more so than anything: something which Glide will no be competing with. For this reason, I would not take too much notice of the recommendation of BICs, NSPs etc. as it is a slightly different market. I think Glide would be competing more with people moving on from their BIC and will then have the option of buying a relatively expensive custom or a cheaper import that has similar performance.

I think Glide would be competing more with people moving on from their BIC and will then have the option of buying a relatively expensive custom or a cheaper import that has similar performance.

See my comments above. Day one, performance of a cheap import may seem similar, but give it a sessions and see. Check the decks of these imports, lots of compressions, the rails don't hold up to much abuse either.

It will be worth checking around in a couple of years as to how many of these imports are still in the water versus the number produced by quality shapers. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Good boards are not cheap, cheap boards are not . . . . .

rather a vested interest in people not buying chinese boards. ..... I think Glide would be competing more with people moving on from their BIC and will then have the option of buying a relatively expensive custom or a cheaper import that has similar performance.

No buy cheap buy twice - if somebody gets a cheap imported board they will be going to the likes of glide for repairs and then there's a good chance they will get a board shaped - that's what I did when I snapped my longboard I got one shapped by Ger Byrne in Sligo and it's taken some abuse with very little to show for it bar where I stuffed a fin into a rock an shifted a future fin box - should have been wourse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Are you looking to replace gers longboard:eek:

• Advertisement

rodento wrote: »
    Are you looking to replace gers longboard:eek:
    I'm looking for a 9'6 (cos I'm getting old and not getting out enough) was thinking of a surf tech but Ger's put me off because they are so light and you get a lot of hard skipping if there is any chop on the wave. Might get one shapped - some thing for bigger days. Also wany to try my hand at shaping a copy of the 70's board I have.

Reminds me must fix the fin socket.

Kevin had a take off longboard for less less that a year, completely gone to ****, though he had to do feck all to catch a wave with it.

You didn't buy the McT that was for sale then

rodento wrote: »
    Kevin had a take off longboard for less less that a year, completely gone to ****, though he had to do feck all to catch a wave with it.

You didn't buy the McT that was for sale then

To expensive - 500 smackers for a second hand board, when I can have a new one for 700

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

in the post above i didnt say come get a board from me.
    i said go buy a bic
    the thing is shapers hate doing ding repairs, but they pay the bills.

but when doing ding repairs the worst thing you come across is having to chase a ding to get it fixed where the area to be fixed keeps getting bigger due to crap/ soft materials used in construction.
    im fixing the boards with proper silmar resin which once cured is much harder than the stuff used to build the board in the first place so when you have to fair the ding back in you often end up doing a double repair which is a real pain in the a@@e!

and the chinese imports cost a quarter of the shop price to buy, but the shops have to keep the price up to sell them, so they have a comparative price with a non chinese board, thats why they can knock a bit of the price to make you think you are getting a good deal or throw in a free bag and leash. but you are still getting ripped off.

i just hate people bringing a board in for repair after there first surf with fins falling out and holes in the board and pressure dings all over the deck

boards should last years not weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

would the westbay boards be considered good quality?

in the post above i didnt say come get a board from me.
    i said go buy a bic
    the thing is shapers hate doing ding repairs, but they pay the bills.

but when doing ding repairs the worst thing you come across is having to chase a ding to get it fixed where the area to be fixed keeps getting bigger due to crap/ soft materials used in construction.
    im fixing the boards with proper silmar resin which once cured is much harder than the stuff used to build the board in the first place so when you have to fair the ding back in you often end up doing a double repair which is a real pain in the a@@e!

and the chinese imports cost a quarter of the shop price to buy, but the shops have to keep the price up to sell them, so they have a comparative price with a non chinese board, thats why they can knock a bit of the price to make you think you are getting a good deal or throw in a free bag and leash. but you are still getting ripped off.

i just hate people bringing a board in for repair after there first surf with fins falling out and holes in the board and pressure dings all over the deck

boards should last years not weeks.

Shameless board bashing going on here from a vested interest. You are making out that all chinese boards are crap and will fall apart after one surf. Give it a rest. I've known people to have these boards for years and still in perfect condition. A lot of the surf rental shops rent these boards and I'm sure these rental boards get a fair bit of abuse. Why would the shops rent boards that fall apart after one use?

The simple fact is that people have to decide on the trade off between a cheap board which looks and feels fine or paying more for the better quality (real or percieved) local board. Whether you'll admit it here or not, these boards are competition for you and thats why you put the effort into bashing them unfairly.

biglebowski,

I would be interested to hear of any where in Ireland that rents fibreglass boards. Ihave only ever seen foam boards for rent in Ireland, to date.

I also think we need to differentiate the levels of crap being talked about. Plastic popouts (such as bics / nsp etc, regardless of where they are made) are going to take more abuse than the chinese glasss n foam boards.

However, glass n foam boards made by reputable shapers will last much better than anything coming from a factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Mate, keep it and surf it but dont try pawn it off on someone else, at most, its €50

At best, its donor foam.

Just for some perspective, I got
    (before the maket is as flooded as it is now, between mountains of 2nd hands and dirt cheap imports)

a 7.0 beach beat, which had been a custom shaped by Chopps for €300 with out so much as a heal dent, a kane garden twinzer fish shaped by larry mabile(legendary fish shaper) €300, again not even a dent, a takayama model t 10ft, with a bag and fin, one ding on the rail (that actually was professionally repaired, and belive me there is a HUGE difference) for €400
    crap foam
    crap fins

Shameless board bashing going on here from a vested interest. You are making out that all chinese boards are crap and will fall apart after one surf. Give it a rest. I've known people to have these boards for years and still in perfect condition. A lot of the surf rental shops rent these boards and I'm sure these rental boards get a fair bit of abuse. Why would the shops rent boards that fall apart after one use?

The simple fact is that people have to decide on the trade off between a cheap board which looks and feels fine or paying more for the better quality (real or percieved) local board. Whether you'll admit it here or not, these boards are competition for you and thats why you put the effort into bashing them unfairly.

I would like to see some evidence re quality of materials and what effects that would have on strength and durability of boards so we could all make informed decisions based on fact not just personal experience/ prejudices.....

I don't think there is any need for Glide to bash "Chinese" boards. Although you may be correct in that he is in competition with foreign cheaper imports but they are not the same product.

A surfboard from shapers like Glide is not just a surfboard, it is a bespoke handcrafted piece of art IMO, something that you can't get from an off the shelf board........

Personally I think its disposable products for a disposable culture. Consumers want cheaper prices but seem to forget about value/ quality of products. In Glides defense there are board manufacturers (e.g. DHD - Mick Fanning models) who make their boards with only 1x4oz on deck with a patch!! That is ridiculous imo, regardless of who's board the final product is replicating. It won't last pissing time. It is all part of the race to the bottom.

I was just looking in a product catalogue the other day from a distributor of wetsuits, where I noticed that a particular model of wetsuit which was a 3mm had now been reduced to 2.5mm. The distributors/manufacturers still claiming its the same product and that they are passing on greater discounts to the retailers......... It's the way of the future!!

seachto7 wrote: »
    would the westbay boards be considered good quality?

I've never seen his boards in the flesh but I've heard people say good things about them. He's a shaper so you could talk to him and get one of his stock boards or get him to shape one for you and customise it to your self - for example I got extra glassing, to be honest went a bit to far but my board is bomb proof. You can get a board to suit your height, weight....
    and there is noting like having a board with your name on it, made for ......

If you have the money do it - but get a board you will surf don't get a short board that you want to surf if you are a long boarder... we all have one of them in our quiver.

PS thanks you've helped me make up my mind - screw surf tech going to get one shapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

there are some boards from china that arent that bad they are from the GSI factory they produce boards for the big companies, these are what are being used as rental boards they cost the same to buy as a shapers made board.

the crap im on about is from some of the other factories like cobra who dont care what goes in the container

notice i only named the few, i have dealt with and didnt make a broad sweeping statement about all chinese boards.

locite when you are down next i will show you a bit of evidence.

• Advertisement

I've never seen his boards in the flesh but I've heard people say good things about them. He's a shaper so you could talk to him and get one of his stock boards or get him to shape one for you and customise it to your self - for example I got extra glassing, to be honest went a bit to far but my board is bomb proof. You can get a board to suit your height, weight....
    and there is noting like having a board with your name on it, made for ......

If you have the money do it - but get a board you will surf don't get a short board that you want to surf if you are a long boarder... we all have one of them in our quiver.

PS thanks you've helped me make up my mind - screw surf tech going to get one shapped.

I've pretty much decided on a westbay longboard (a viper or an all rounder) once I have the funds. I'm not going to be walking the board either, just want to catch more waves and cruise...

I'm not going to be walking the board either, just want to catch more waves and cruise...

That is what you say now, wait until you have had it a while and get it wired, you will be all over it, cross stepping, shuffling back from trim to drop knee!

I've never seen anyone in the flesh walking the board, but looked at lots of cats doing it online, and it looks fun..:)

Hit for the Longboard comp in Lahinch in mid September and you will see lots of it

You have to ask your self, would you be happy in Dunnes Stores clothing... let along eating tesco's finest own brand food:eek:

Cheap imports are kinda the same as yellow pack, may have been a good idea at the time but when ya get them home and unwrap them:(

And as Glide says, not all imports are bad, but you have to pay for the decent, branded ones

have a look at these two - boards are nothing special but artwork is great, prices are good to

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=211767&cat=222#

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=211771&cat=222#

8cbaed518a2b0a92f081df90dd1bc40ad7aa1907cc4a457a0207f84618223eec.jpg

Advertisement