Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry-Oxidation

Options
  • 07-04-2010 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

Can someone help me find the oxidation numbers for everything in this compound:

S4O62-.

I keep getting +2.5 for the S and that just seems really strange and it seems to be messing up my equation...:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

I got +2.5 too.
    As far as I know the number doesn't have to be an integer, as you are getting the average of the oxidation numbers for the four sulphur atoms (they don't all have to have the same charge).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Moshimoshi wrote: »
    I got +2.5 too.
    As far as I know the number doesn't have to be an integer, as you are getting the average of the oxidation numbers for the four sulphur atoms (they don't all have to have the same charge).

Yep that's right. I asked my teacher this last year when we were doing oxidation numbers and she said that some of the sulphurs have an ON of 3 and others an ON of 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MaighEoAbu

theowen wrote: »
    Can someone help me find the oxidation numbers for everything in this compound:

S4O62-.

I keep getting +2.5 for the S and that just seems really strange and it seems to be messing up my equation...:rolleyes:

S4+6(-2)=-2
    S4=-2+12
    S4=10
    S=+2.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Oh cool. Must have messed up the balancing or something! Thanks:D

Advertisement