Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

picture posting

Options
  • 07-04-2010 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

Ive seen this time and time again where a poster posts a graphic (face palming being the most obvious one) in a negative way to make a point with the poster he/she is replying too.
    To me its the lowest form of posting but not sure if there is any clear policy in relation to it.
    If poster disagrees with post it should be done with a bit more imagination.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

There is no policy other than the "dont be a dick" and "dont post distasteful images/pr0n" rules to cover posting images.

the facepalm responses are more a case of posting etiquette than anythign else. if people think its humorous then they'll post it. Currently is "cool" to post these. Tomorrow , teletubby pics might be in. these trends come and go. On a related note, did the boards.ie gathering cards kick all this off on boards or were lolcats etc around before them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

LoLth wrote: »
    There is no policy other than the "dont be a dick" and "dont post distasteful images/pr0n" rules to cover posting images.

the facepalm responses are more a case of posting etiquette than anythign else. if people think its humorous then they'll post it. Currently is "cool" to post these. Tomorrow , teletubby pics might be in. these trends come and go. On a related note, did the boards.ie gathering cards kick all this off on boards or were lolcats etc around before them?
    Picture posting where its done in a negative way I feel just derails a thread. Re the other stuff, its cool the first time but becomes a bit tedious after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Picture posting where its done in a negative way I feel just derails a thread. Re the other stuff, its cool the first time but becomes a bit tedious after that.

Some forums, im thinking of AH in particular have pictures disabled for what i suggest is partly to do with this reason.

Its a question of moderation and of the forum and discussion itself. If someone is in a serious political debate in a serious discussion forum such as politics about WW2 and some assclown posts a pic of a loljew - tbh - that poster deserves a ban.

If however someone is talking about Liverpools title campaign this season....

double-facepalm.jpg

Anyhow, i hope you get my point.. there is no black or white on this issue, more common sence - or good ol cop on.. It can be difficult to moderate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The gathering cards predate lolcats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Lolocaust has a facepalm smiley to counter this :)

icon_facepalm.gif

And two of them look like a woman holding her breasts icon_facepalm.gificon_facepalm.gif

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    If however someone is talking about Liverpools title campaign this season....

Anyhow, i hope you get my point.. there is no black or white on this issue, more common sence - or good ol cop on.. It can be difficult to moderate that.

Yeah I am not totally against poster pics but just feel as a rule its a lazy way of posting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Yeah I am not totally against poster pics but just feel as a rule its a lazy way of posting.
    May I ask you a question?

K, thanks.

What do you honestly expect the result of this thread to be.

Not looking for any result CHD. Just making a point.

I agree with you but nothing will ever be done about it. If it happens to early in a thread mods will delete and warn people. Thats it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just stop posting facepalm-worthy posts, and you'll be grand.

On another note, you should start a campaign to get your own feedback section, as you have quite a lot of it.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Just stop posting facepalm-worthy posts, and you'll be grand.

On another note, you should start a campaign to get your own feedback section, as you have quite a lot of it.
    Did I mention anything about my posts in OP?

You didn't. I was just guessing that you generate a lot of facepalm responses though, tbh.

You didn't. I was just guessing that you generate a lot of facepalm responses though, tbh.
    Instead of guessing why dont you come up with a figure and draw up a table of most facepalmed posters :D

Oh if only I had the time to put my terrific MS Paint skillz to use...

Oh if only I had the time to put my terrific MS Paint skillz to use...
    Here you go.

Poll.png

CHD wrote: »
    Here you go.

As the saying goes. Lies, Damned lies and statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ive seen this time and time again where a poster posts a graphic (face palming being the most obvious one) in a negative way to make a point with the poster he/she is replying too.
    To me its the lowest form of posting but not sure if there is any clear policy in relation to it.
    Hiya, the best way to effect change in this regard is to follow process by reporting the post if you think it needs reporting. Better that than post on the feedback forum as a Mod will nip any wrong-doing in the bud when it needs to be nipped.

Thanks.

Gordon wrote: »
    Hiya, the best way to effect change in this regard is to follow process by reporting the post if you think it needs reporting. Better that than post on the feedback forum as a Mod will nip any wrong-doing in the bud when it needs to be nipped.

Thanks.
    Yes but to report a post the it has to meet the criteria below.
    "This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts".
    I was merely trying to establish what the guidelines are for picture posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If the spirit of the image was translated into text form and you would report the post for the textual version of that, then I'd be reporting the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

CHD wrote: »
    What do you honestly expect the result of this thread to be.

He isn't bound by petty concepts like results or making sense like mere posters such as you and I.

Issuing The Word On The Subject is enough.

• Advertisement

:pac:

stovelid wrote: »
    He isn't bound by petty concepts like results or making sense like mere posters such as you and I.

Issuing The Word On The Subject is enough.
    Self praise is no praise Stove. If you seriously believe that everyone who picture posts are 100 per cent right than I cant help you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

As much as I detest posters who post a reply by using facepalm and :rolleyes:,
    it also points out to me who the tards are. It instantly lowers my opinion of them and I don't generally read any of their future posts. 'Cept when I want a to be involved in a pointless squabble.

WindSock wrote: »
    As much as I detest posters who post a reply by using facepalm and :rolleyes:,
    it also points out to me who the tards are. It instantly lowers my opinion of them and I don't generally read any of their future posts. 'Cept when I want a to be involved in a pointless squabble.
    Also referring to WTF picture posts. Had one today where poster used it because poster wasnt sure what post meant. But rather than ask me, poster posted a rather lame picture post and to be fair poster was pulled up on it by a few posters. Sometimes posters do it to get cheap laughs and thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If you seriously believe that everyone who picture posts are 100 per cent right than I cant help you.

No worries, I wasn't seeking help. Your omniscience has been noted for future reference though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

But many picture posts are imaginative.

Picture posts in general: again, like any meme, it depends on the post it's in response to, and the pic itself - sometimes it can be very quick-witted and funny.

Facepalm can be snide a lot of the time, but sometimes it's just what's needed (e.g. when someone posts something beyond ludicrous and there are just no words*). Plus, the facepalm itself can be really funny (e.g. the one from Tar above).

Rolleyes? Most of the time it's just obnoxious but occasionally, something is posted that just cries out for it.*

*I'm not talking about when that's my opinion on such posts, I'm referring to the obvious "WTF?!! :eek:" ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

LINK

Was this one really necessary from a moderator on the forum he moderates, to a new poster to the site. Surely posting that image only served to ostracise the poster.

This isn't meant as a criticism of the mod in particular but I think it just serves to highlight a point that SOTS was trying to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Quazzie wrote: »
    LINK

Was this one really necessary from a moderator on the forum he moderates, to a new poster to the site. Surely posting that image only served to ostracise the poster.

This isn't meant as a criticism of the mod in particular but I think it just serves to highlight a point that SOTS was trying to make.
    I suppose you have to give the benefit of the doubt there. Was the mod facepalming thinking "FFS why were they comparing 3 hair straighteners?" or was it a "My god that was the most stupid thing anybody could have posted" facepalm pic.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    LINK

Agreed. That a mod does it is particularly disconcerting (the words "Failure so epic that even Jesus cant bare to look rules out any ambiguity as to mods intention here) as you say that it was in response to someone who had just joined. I really do think that Mods set the tone and I think that post sent out all the wrong signals regardless of the merit of that post.

Advertisement