Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boiler Switch. need to change to digital.

• 07-04-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

On my boiler I have a timer switch, it's the old dial type with on-off teeth and a switch for off - on and timer. The timer doesn't work the on and off work fine. There is also an issue that the switch is located in an awkward location. I would like to replace this switch with a digital equivalent myself. I am neither a plumber or electrician and am hoping it will be as simple as a live and neutral wiring arrangement. Can anyone advise on me on completing this task. The boiler is 15 years old and does not have a seperate switch control for water/heating only. This is controlled by a manual valve. I would specifically like to know about the wiring element.

Ta.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The timer will have a live and neutral feed to it to power itself. Then the there will be a switched line to the pump/boiler from the timer. Internally the other side of the switch will either be linked to the live supply or will come from the boiler (more common on combi boilers and newer fan flue units). So basically you just need to bring the wiring to a new location. Any single channel 7-day clock should do the job for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

just keep in mind that the old analogue timer(with on/off/timed switch) may function as an 'isolator' for the boiler

so you may want to add a fused spur or a socket if neccessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

As said above.... My personel view.... Analogue works best.... Its easier to explain to visitors and babysitters.... and the kids learn it quite quick..

You can buy a standard single channel analogue clock in b&q quite cheap and because its isolated from the boiler if it goes again it will be easy to change...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i didn't mean that the analogue is better

just that you need additional means of isolating boiler when using a digital timer

obviously most of the newer units the controls and power are separate anyway

Advertisement