Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question - Poached Haddock

Options
  • 07-04-2010 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

After reading the thread about leek & haddock risotto I am drooling at my desk.
    Just wondering how to poach haddock in milk.
    Do I just fill a saucepan with milk, put the fish in, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes or so?
    Also, my haddock isn't smoked, does that matter?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Beetlebum wrote: »
    After reading the thread about leek & haddock risotto I am drooling at my desk.
    Just wondering how to poach haddock in milk.
    Do I just fill a saucepan with milk, put the fish in, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes or so?
    Also, my haddock isn't smoked, does that matter?

Thanks
    You only need to just cover the fillet, no need to fill the whole saucepan.
    Bring to simmer and hold for 5mins.
    Smoked Haddock is nice, but fresh Haddock will be just fine:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You only need to just cover the fillet, no need to fill the whole saucepan.
    Bring to simmer and hold for 5mins.
    Smoked Haddock is nice, but fresh Haddock will be just fine:)

Thank you....it sounds so delicious. I also got cream to throw in instead of creme fraiche and some crust white bread to serve..mmmm faaaatening:)

Thank you....it sounds so delicious. I also got cream to throw in instead of creme fraiche and some crust white bread to serve..mmmm faaaatening:)
    Omega 3 offsets the cream;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Isn't the rule only poach Smoked fish in Milk, unsmoked in water with garlic and herbs?

I am not a big fish fan but that what I am lead to believe.

I have poached fresh fish in milk many times, especially if you are making a fish pie, then you use the milk as a base for the white sauce.
    You can add onions/shallots and bay leaves if you wish but it is far from mandatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Mmm cream sounds nicer than creme fraiche! I've added mascarpone before and it has worked well. Also nice with some chopped capers added...

Advertisement