Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Lear

Options
  • 07-04-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hey, anyone heard any realistic predictions for what might come up for King Lear - the characters and themes/issues? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Nope, but I'm just gonna focus on Lear and Gloucester. The only character that I wouldn't be able to write about is The Fool - and my teacher said he could come up. *facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I wouldn't mind an essay about the fool: he amuses me so I remember a lot of his quotes! Look! here comes a walking fire!
    I could totally write three pages about that...yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Doubt the fool would come up,not on his own anyway he's not a significant enough character to have a whole question based on him.

gant0 wrote: »
    Doubt the fool would come up,not on his own anyway he's not a significant enough character to have a whole question based on him.

Seriously hope you're right, but it's not the first time I've heard this prediction! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    Nope, but I'm just gonna focus on Lear and Gloucester. The only character that I wouldn't be able to write about is The Fool - and my teacher said he could come up. *facepalm*

:eek: I actually completely forgot about the The Fool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I heard he could come up too but that if he does it would be his role in the play as there isn't a lot about his character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

1. Lear's journey, 2. Power of love, 3. Imagery, 4.Theme of blindness...otherwise I'll be fecked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

what is best way to study for lear?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You know back in the day that King Lear was actually performed, in Shakespeare's time, they often double up on actors and it was usually the same actor/actress that played The Fool and Cordelia (neither of them are in the same scene together. The Fool mysteriously disappears before Lear reunites with Cordelia at the end)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

^ Yeah I read that somewhere in google yesterday. The continuation of that paragraph is something about the original actor for the fool is unlikely to play the role of a woman.

• Advertisement

what is best way to study for lear?
    First get a general understanding of the play. Then some quotes. Then prepare/learn-off essays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

prepare/learn-off essays. That's 33% of the process can I skip that altogether and take my 66% grade? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Zephyr91 wrote: »

My teacher is predicting him to come up too, she says he's very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

I heard he could come up too but that if he does it would be his role in the play as there isn't a lot about his character.

Anyone got any notes on The Fool that they would be willing to PM??:confused::D

lc2010 wrote: »
    Anyone got any notes on The Fool that they would be willing to PM??:confused::D

I don't have any notes as such but I have key points:
    • His association with Cordelia and he keeps her alive throughout the play.
    • He symbolises truth
    • He is Lear's conscience
    • He's used as a dramatic device
    • Highest and lowest form of being

gemxpink wrote: »
    My teacher is predicting him to come up too, she says he's very likely.
    My teach' in the 'tute said that's very very unlikely. All hail the tute teachers and all that:rolleyes:

theowen wrote: »
    My teach' in the 'tute said that's very very unlikely. All hail the tute teachers and all that:rolleyes:

When I did the Easter course in the Institute the teacher there said she thought the Fool was coming up and to study him.

When I did the Easter course in the Institute the teacher there said she thought the Fool was coming up and to study him.
    Oh really. In saying that though she only teachers paper 1 and doesn't touch drama. We've a separate teacher for drama who only teaches King Lear and he writes books etc and as such, he's a bit of an expert. He's the dude that said he won't come btw.

Actually, he said he won't come up by himself. Though it is slightly possible of him coming up as a part of a question so:rolleyes:

Oh really. In saying that though she only teachers paper 1 and doesn't touch drama. We've a separate teacher for drama who only teaches King Lear and he writes books etc and as such, he's a bit of an expert. He's the dude that said he won't come btw.

Actually, he said he won't come up by himself. Though it is slightly possible of him coming up as a part of a question so:rolleyes:

I don't really know much about her and he sounds like he knows what he's talking about! I was just going by what she said last week, don't know if it's actually going to come up. Might as well study it anyway though, i'm not taking any chances :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

I don't have any notes as such but I have key points:
    • His association with Cordelia and he keeps her alive throughout the play.
    • He symbolises truth
    • He is Lear's conscience
    • He's used as a dramatic device
    • Highest and lowest form of being

any chance you could PM those to me? :)

• Advertisement

MaggieNF wrote: »

Sorry I don't have any notes just points, i'm going to try and make an essay out of them when i get a chance.

I have notes but I'd slightly dead right now. I'll try to get them up tomorrow(ish) if you still want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

Sorry I don't have any notes just points, i'm going to try and make an essay out of them when i get a chance.

even the points would be great, since i have nothing on the fool and i can expand them myself :)
    I have notes but I'd slightly dead right now. I'll try to get them up tomorrow(ish) if you still want them.

ahm yeah that would be great

if ye need anything? you can ask i might be able to help ye out :)

even the points would be great, since i have nothing on the fool and i can expand them myself :)

Sorry I thought you saw them:
    The Fool's association with Cordelia as he keeps her alive throughout the play.
    He symbolises truth
    He's Lear's conscience
    He's used as a dramatic device
    He's the Highest and lowest form of being

I might think of more when I write out the essay if so i'll let you know but I don't think there's a lot more we can write about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

http://www.pathguy.com/kinglear.htm <<<<< some interesting stuff on lear.

Sorry I thought you saw them:
    The Fool's association with Cordelia as he keeps her alive throughout the play.
    He symbolises truth
    He's Lear's conscience
    He's used as a dramatic device
    He's the Highest and lowest form of being

I might think of more when I write out the essay if so i'll let you know but I don't think there's a lot more we can write about.
    Forgot about that:rolleyes:

I'll try scan my notes on him. Oh, another point to add-he adds much needed comic relief to a play so full of suffering. Could get a good paragraph out of that.

Advertisement