Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is nobody renting rooms?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

[quote=[Deleted User];65323717]They're all good points but for me, none of them make up for feeling like you're an unwelcome guest in someone else's home.

As for the notice period, what is 'reasonable'? I've heard of people being given a few days or a week's notice to leave.[/QUOTE]

An an owner occupier myself, I always draw up a relatively informal lease, but stipulates a notice period of one month, which, from my experience has worked out well.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's your price tbh. We put this up today and already have some people wanting to come around.

www.daft.ie/3574722

• Reasonable is usually deemed to be the equivalent of whatever the arrangement is for payment. ie. if weekly or monthly, then a week or a months notice. By the same token, this is all the notice the lodger needs to give if they want to move out.

Yes, but do people actually do this? Do they have to do it? As far as I can see, if I rent a room from you and you decide to move your partner in three days later and give me my marching orders, there's sweet FA I can do about it.
    Yes, you are a guest under this arrangement. However, as people vary so will your experience. In other words, whether your a welcome or 'unwelcome' guest depends on the individuals involved. In your case, it certainly sounds like you were an unwelcome guest. However, just bear in mind that its a two way street :)

Yeah, sure, imply that I'm a bad housemate. Strange that in all the places I've ever lived, the only place I've ever had a problem was in the leaseholder occupied one. Same with friends in Dublin who have lived in this type of set-up. I just don't see how it can possibly be an equal and comfortable living situation when one person sees everything in the house as 'theirs'. Even the stuff like not having to pay bills would make me uncomfortable. I'm an adult, I want to be in control of my living situation, I want to do my share of the cleaning. The set-up you described would be like living with my parents, only it's actually some stranger. I have a few friends in owner occupied places here in London and they all want to get out. People want a home, not to feel like a guest in someone else's home 365 days a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

[quote=[Deleted User];65325195]As far as I can see, if I rent a room from you and you decide to move your partner in three days later and give me my marching orders, there's sweet FA I can do about it.[/QUOTE]Yes, you can. You can go to the small claims court.
    [quote=[Deleted User];65325195]Yeah, sure, imply that I'm a bad housemate.[/QUOTE]Steady on, fella. :) Where did I imply that you were a bad housemate? I took your post at face value and was in agreement that it sounded that you were getting a raw deal. However, what I am implying is that with people (whatever the circumstances) your mileage will always vary. So you could have a tennant/lodger who is an a$$hole. Equally, you could have an owner occupier who is an a$$hole
    [quote=[Deleted User];65325195]People want a home, not to feel like a guest in someone else's home 365 days a year.[/QUOTE]In reality, you are a guest but a paying guest. That doesn't mean that you should be treated as if its not your home. It just means that the owner occupier (whether they like it or not) has to be ultimately responsible for the gaff. They setup the arrangement of the house share.
    If theres a disagreement between two people in a house share (which im sure you'll agree is something that happens on a regular basis), either of them could end up moving out if things got that bad. In an owner occupier scenario, they have no choice but to stay even if they wanted to leave.

EDIT: Just re-read that earlier post and see how i've made myself misunderstood. That should have read 'you were made to feel like an unwelcome guest'. :)
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

none of them make up for feeling like you're an unwelcome guest in someone else's home
    If you feel like that your either living with a complete eejet or [and pardon me for saying this] the tenant my be a bit on the sensitive side?

If the person is an eejet - then thats just bad luck. But it could happen in any situation. Personally, I have been in that situation, but in a house share with two Brazilians in London [a couple, not owners, but people who's name was on lease] - where they were sorta unplesant to live with for reasons Im not going into.

I voted with my feet and moved out pretty quickly, best thing ever.

If your super sensitive [not saying you personally, but in general] and want things just as you like them and no other way then your going to have a fair amount of bad experiences in house shares. The whole principal of sharing with someone [1 owner or again, 11 aussies] is that there has to be give and take - it cant me all me, me, me! if one person is a eejet and messing up your life then just leave!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

price is away too high alright. i am living soutside, dundrum and rent is €310for 5 sharing a huge house, 3 of the rooms are massive(its actually €260 at the moment as we are renting out the spare room for 4 months to a friend of 3 of the girls in the house) and we are 5 mins walk from the luas line. that is what you are up against now, people only care about price, if the location is semi decent and it is for us.

3 of the girls visa run out soon and we will be advertising the rooms. i dont expect them to be empty for long due to the price.

• In reality, you are a guest but a paying guest. That doesn't mean that you should be treated as if its not your home. It just means that the owner occupier (whether they like it or not) has to be ultimately responsible for the gaff. They setup the arrangement of the house share.
    If theres a disagreement between two people in a house share (which im sure you'll agree is something that happens on a regular basis), either of them could end up moving out if things got that bad. In an owner occupier scenario, they have no choice but to stay even if they wanted to leave.

Well, I don't want to be a guest. I don't mind being a guest at someone's house for a weekend, or in a hotel. I don't want to be a guest in my own home. I understand what you say about not being able to leave, but that's not of the tenant's concern. It would have to be an amazing or amazingly cheap place for me to choose an owner occupied house over a regular house share, and it's the same for most of my friends.
    If you feel like that your either living with a complete eejet or [and pardon me for saying this] the tenant my be a bit on the sensitive side?

The girl I lived with was an absolute b*tch who openly resented the fact she had to rent out a room and made it obvious she didn't want me there. But I've known a lot of people in very similar situations. Not always that the owner occupier was a horrible person, but there's a very clear sense of one person having much more power and control than the other. Stuff like, the owner has friends over or has parties when they like, the tenant has to ask, the owner makes as much noise as they want but gives out to the tenant for slamming a door one night. You don't have to be sensitive to get annoyed by that. I don't know many people who would willingly pay hundeds of euro a month to have to tiptoe around someone else's home.
    If your super sensitive [not saying you personally, but in general] and want things just as you like them and no other way then your going to have a fair amount of bad experiences in house shares. The whole principal of sharing with someone [1 owner or again, 11 aussies] is that there has to be give and take - it cant me all me, me, me! if one person is a eejet and messing up your life then just leave!

That's my whole point. It's the people who rent rooms who 9 times out of 10, don't understand that. I've lived in over a dozen shares around the world, I know how to behave in them. Lots of people who rent rooms seem to expect to live their lives the exact same way as before and have the tenant work around it. I went to view a nice house occupied by a woman in her 30's, she seemed nice and friendly, but then started saying how I couldn't shower in the morning before 9, as there wasn't enough hot water for two showers, and how she watched such and such a program on Monday nights, and she had her boyfriend over on Saturdays, and there wasn't much space in the living room (basically telling me to f**k off every Saturday). That's totally unreasonable. Just because she lived there alone for 2 years didn't mean that I'd now have to fit around her schedule. IMO, when you get a housemate in, it's equal. You can't have one rule for them and another for you or of course people feel awkward or unwelcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

what it all comes down to is some people can be asses

and also that yes most people will feel more secure in standing their ground on equal footings - when one person in the house is the owner the balance shifts immediately. If the people there get on fine and show respect fro each other there will be no problem.

I've lived with owner occupiers on two occassions in Dublin and the rest of the time I have lived with strangers, mostly where I interviewed them to share a place with me. Meet the people first and have a serious chat to see if they seem like the type of person you could live with then hide the remote to the TV if they like soaps! :D

I've only had one bad experience with a house mate but that was due to a breakdown. All the other people I have lived with I stayed friends with after we parted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

It's all about power and equality. If two people are on an equal footing then problems are less likely to occur.

Why would you want a person paying your tv and gas bills? It then becomes their tv and their gas. You'd be better off in your parents.

No owner occupier wants to rent rooms. They do it because they can't afford their mortgage. Your presence is a daily reminder of their shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

No owner occupier wants to rent rooms. They do it because they can't afford their mortgage. Your presence is a daily reminder of their shortcomings.

Thats not always true although I suspect might be in a lot of cases :D:D

I rented out rooms for 2 years, not because I couldnt afford the mortgage or had any shortcomings but because it was extremely suitable to my circumstances.

I had extra cash coming in and as I used to travel around the country alot and would be out of the house on average 2 nights of the week having somebody in the house made me feel better about the property from a security perspective. Was great when I wanted to go away for my summer hols aswell not having to worry about getting somebody to check on the house etc etc.

Dont tar all owner occuipers with the same brush. I gave my tennants the same reign as if they were my housemates I only once had to tow the line when the next door neighbour caled me on a thursday night whilst I was down the country at 1am saying the noise from the music was really loud and they werent turning it down.

that was the only time I had an issue and in fairness they didnt hold it against me and appologised the next day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Not true. As an owner occupier myself, it is nice to have the company - get to know someone, and depending on how we get on (as in all house share scenarios), maybe even go out for a drink occassionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Not true. As an owner occupier myself, it is nice to have the company - get to know someone, and depending on how we get on (as in all house share scenarios), maybe even go out for a drink occassionally.
    same here...

wtf dude? shortcomings? Care to develop on that a little?

Whilst I started out on the 'rent a room' thing with regard to affordability concerns, i'm past that now. However, it has paid off 20% of the purchase price of my house and 25% of my mortgage in the space of 4 years. Apologies for having the shortcoming of not being a millionaire but I respect the rent a room scheme as it has helped me in being in control of my own finances.
    Well, I don't want to be a guest.
    I only use that term as in the eyes of the law, thats how its described. The situation that you describe was completely out of order - thats not the way I believe a house share should be run - owner occupier or otherwise.
    Why would you want a person paying your tv and gas bills? It then becomes their tv and their gas.
    Their tv and their gas? You must be kidding! Not in my house share scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I posted a thread recently about my owner-ocupier expierience. Its still on going and a complete nightmare.

I'll hopefully be moving very soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Link, would like to read about that.

KTRIC wrote: »
    I posted a thread recently about my owner-ocupier expierience. Its still on going and a complete nightmare.

I'll hopefully be moving very soon :)
    I know its not funny for you but I'm sure you'll see the funny side of it when you've moved on!
    Link, would like to read about that.
    You've posted on that thread so won't be anything new to you.
    Link

And just to balance things up and prove that it is a two way street - and all depends on the individuals involved (be it owner occupier or tenant) , check out this thread here

Advertisement