Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Oral -Role play :(

Options
  • 07-04-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to study for my German oral in 2 weeks time, but I keep getting stuck when it comes to role plays W1 and Y1 (the hotel in Ireland & the wet paint respectively)

Anyone have any advice for me? Also does the examiner know what level your doing for German, as they do in other orals??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ricadoo

All I can say man is learn it OFF! The examiner will generally stick to the questions that are on the sheet, so if you prepare these questions you should be fine. Simple German will do, the examiner just wants to know if you can follow the converstaion and understand what he's saying, so don't make out big, long, expansive replies keep it simple and you should be fine!

Going into the oral the examiner doesn't know whether you're honours or pass, but he'll soon find out when you begin to talk :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Cool thanks for the advice, my teacher keeps telling me to add more and more stuff to it w/ 1,2 & 4 that's all fine but w/ 3 & 5 it's kinda hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ricadoo

Well my role-plays are about an A4 long, but if you look at the marking scheme, all that's needed is about 2 sentences on each section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

Everytime you go to learn your roleplay have the canidate card out too. Just learn to manipulate the canidate card, and let it help you spark your memory of the sentences you learned. Just be familiar with everything the canidate card is asking you to do, and make sure you use all the words on the c.card!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I expected so much more from this thread after reading its title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

It's marked out of 30:

1: Completion of tasks 1-5 is worth 20 marks (5x4)

2: 10 marks go for grammar, pronunciation, vocab etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

i find the wet paint one to be quite difficult. but if you look at the examiners card. practise with someone

on the examiners card there is a mark for the certain words you should use like about the paint on the window and there being no sign. so you can form the sentences from the card, if you get stuck but be sure you can understand the german and english rather that just going in and getting bogged down in it!

also they will know if you are higher or ordinary because higher do the picture story and pass do the project so if they see you bringing in your project they are gonna know you are pass. and they ask you if you want to tell them about a project so then they know......

MaggieNF wrote: »

also they will know if you are higher or ordinary because higher do the picture story and pass do the project so if they see you bringing in your project they are gonna know you are pass. and they ask you if you want to tell them about a project so then they know......

That's not true? Sorry, I don't want to sound agressive or anything. But, I'm higher level and I'm doing the project. I know loads of different schools that let their higher level students do the project. We have the option of doing the picture stories too though. However, the teachers encourage us to do the Project as realistically they are easier.

AllInOne wrote: »
    That's not true? Sorry, I don't want to sound agressive or anything. But, I'm higher level and I'm doing the project. I know loads of different schools that let their higher level students do the project. We have the option of doing the picture stories too though. However, the teachers encourage us to do the Project as realistically they are easier.
    hmm i didnt know that, we were told you do better if you do the picture stories FML i hate the picture stories anyways :(

MaggieNF wrote: »
    hmm i didnt know that, we were told you do better if you do the picture stories FML i hate the picture stories anyways :(

Our teacher just said it's way easier and you're just better off doing the project, but I suppose teachers opinions vary sure! Ah you'll be grand sure! At least you have all the pictures in front of you so you'll be able to string it together :)

• Advertisement

AllInOne wrote: »
    Our teacher just said it's way easier and you're just better off doing the project, but I suppose teachers opinions vary sure! Ah you'll be grand sure! At least you have all the pictures in front of you so you'll be able to string it together :)

true i guess, oh well it will all be over soon anyways :)

Everyone doing honours in my class is doing the project purely cause our German teacher took us to Berlin back in October, while the lazy sods in Ordinary who can barely speak the language are doing the bilder.

DGRulz wrote: »
    Everyone doing honours in my class is doing the project purely cause our German teacher took us to Berlin back in October, while the lazy sods in Ordinary who can barely speak the language are doing the bilder.

I can't believe she took ye to Berlin! That's class. I'm doing my project on Berlin, but I've never been there :P What sights did ye see when you were there?

First off, He not she lol. He one of the best in the country speaks like 7 different languages.

We went to the wall, the jewish museum, brandemburg gate, and old palace in Potsdam and a few other museums only went for 4 days. Hostel was brilliant like a 3-4 star hotel

i dont really see how you think the picture stories would be for ordinary level, they arent that easy. somehow the project seems easier

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Why would the project be easier - don't you have to DO a project?

Bildergeschichten ftw

zam wrote: »
    Why would the project be easier - don't you have to DO a project?

Bildergeschichten ftw

i personally think the bildergeshichten are ACE :)

from what people told me they did **** all for the projects they did it like one day and that was it, seems easier like

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

It's entirely up to you whether you choose to talk about a project or the picture stories. Levels make no difference. Sometimes Ordinary level students choose the project as it's probably easier to learn but on the other hand the language used to discuss a project is harder than the simple language you can get away with in the picture stories.

Big advantage of the picture stories is that the follow up questions on them are often what you would prepare for the general questions anyway (Summer job, Exchanges, School...stress/exams/studying, relationship with parents etc) and material/topics from the picture stories is often repeated in the written paper in June. eg Last year the alternative Schriftliche Produktion was about studying together......you would have lots of phrases and vocab for that having studied the 'Zu zweit gehts besser, oder?' story. Lots of bases are covered if you know your Bildergeschichte well.

Project is a good option too though....at least its a definited question.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

My project is on a German resistance group, and I'm not sure what to expect with regards follow-up questions. As for the roleplays, I hope our examiner doesn't stray from the candidate's card too much. I am okay at three and four, but my others are awful, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Love the title to this thread.

• Advertisement

@Michaelrsh Thank you :D

I'm doing my project on the Wall, oral is tomorrow, anyone any idea what sort of qs to expect? Also how is the project marked??

Advertisement